I purchase a Carbtune Plus and it arrived today. I decided to give it a whirl. I took the laptop with me to follow Freebirds directions and headed to the garage. First of all a ride a 96 Royal Star Tour Classic and it has no tach so I really don't know if the idle is correct. I followed the Carbtune directions for setup then went to Freebirds post. I hooked up the Carbtune and the readings were way off. All went well while doing step #1 and I got the first side to measure pretty closely.( How close do I need to be to be close?) It was when I went to step #2 that I ran into a problem. The adjustment screw was not where the directions said it would be. I happen to have a second set of carbs so I took them off the shelf for a look; It seemed to me that I would need to access the adjustment screw for side 2 from the left side of the bike, There were two adjustment screws side by side so I really wasn't sure which was which. I tried trial and error and was able to get side 2 pretty close( once again how close do I need to be?) I then tried the second adjustment screw and got all 4 to be pretty close.(????). I put the rubber plugs back on and took the bike for a ride. The" old boy" seemed to run a little better and I seemed to notice less back firing on deceleration. Now my questions....Can anyone tell me if I did the sync correctly? How close is close enough and is it necessary to have the idle RPM"s perfect before I started the procedure...Thanks

Hey Bob,

Well, for a first try I say you did great! If the bike idled before you started to use the Carbtune, I say it was close enough. There is another item that a Second Genner. should own and that is a digital clamp on Tach. But for a first time, you can do the Carb. Sync. with the Idle where it is at. Now, if it were me, I would ride the bike for a few days, and take another run at the Carb. Sync. again. Did you install the "restrictors" in the four lines that connect to the Vacuum ports on your bike? Take a little more time and try to get the Sync. closer the next time you try it. As you get more comfortable with the tool, you will do a better job with it. I would take a moment and "pat yourself on the back" for spending a hundred bucks for a tool that you will only use a few times a year, using it on your bike, and having the bike start and run after you messed with it! When I first got my Carbtune, I Synced my 87'VR every day for a month! (I was changing jets and doing mods after VMAX heads were installed) I can use that Carbtune in my sleep now. Hopefully, one of the other Second Gen. owners will post where they got their Tach. from amd you will then be fully equiped to tune your bike with the best of them.

I think you did a great job!:clap2: But that's just me.

Earl

The carb sync screws for the early Royal Stars are not in the same place as the RSV and 2005-on RSTD's.

There was another thread just a week or two ago with pictures of how to do the early Royal Stars.

I suggest getting one of the Clymer Manuals for the Royal Stars, they are cheap on ebay and other sources.

The carb sync screws for the early Royal Stars are not in the same place as the RSV and 2005-on RSTD's.

There was another thread just a week or two ago with pictures of how to do the early Royal Stars.

dug050 sent me a PDF for the early RSTD's. It does show the adjustment screws located differenty from the newer RSTD's and Ventures. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/at...6&d=1282743896

:178:

Hey Jack,

Thats a pretty expensive Tach. That First Gen. must put a bit of a bulge in your tool box!

I will have to remember to tell the wife that I need another First Gen. so I can set the Idle on my other bike.

It could happen! :confused24:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
SPELLING!

Hey Jack,

Thats a pretty expensive Tach. That First Gen. must put a bit of a bulge in your tool box!

I will have to remember to tell the wife that I need another First Gen. so I can set the Idle on my other bike.

Earl

Good Luck Earl.... :whistling:

Hey Jack,

Earl

Do I have to have a 2nd Gen to use this???:whistling: