IGNORED

98 RSTC- Electrical Problems & stuck in Indy

Oh Big Family on the Internet,

Was on the American Legion Legacy Run from Indianapolis when my bike decided not to start. The shop hasn't come up with a solution yet after telling me it is probably the ignition switch and some "other" electrical issues. They also told me they can't locate a switch in America and aren't able to order one. They looked at a switch from a 96 but claim it is totally different and the wires are not compatible.

I asked them to install a way to bypass the switch but that didn't work either (lights won't come on, no starter)

The bike is still in Indianapolis at the shop, the Legacy Run is completed (rode with a support vehicle) and I head back to Indy tomorrow.

Anybody in the area with knowledge about where to get a switch and know how to correct such problems? Unfortunately I don't know how to work on a bike but am willing to learn.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I can be available tomorrow to come help you out, where is the bike at?

Hey Lynn, let me know what I need to do and I'll get him back on the road.

Cell 317-370-0139

Dano

BTW, just checked Flatout fische, ign switch available for order for 250 bucks.

Edited by Dano

Thanks Dano & Pegscraper,

Lynn always has good ideas and I certainly appreciate your offer of help Dano.

I'm in Milwaukee for the Legion Convention until Thursday afternoon. One of the delegates is kind enough to give me a ride to Indianapolis after the convention ends, but I expect it will be late before we get to Indy. I'll find a hotel close to W. Washington St in Indy and be available on Friday (or whenever suits you).

One other problem I had was that I broke the right foglight when I dropped the bike while taking it out of storage.

Thanks again.

Best from Gypsy

BTW Dano, I saved your telephone number to my cell phone. Thanks.

Try to stay up at Rockville Rd. and 465, one exit N of Washington St., you won't like the hotels on Washington St......... Unless you're looking for some alternative activities........

I assume your bike is at Dreyers Yamaha on W Washington St., one of the mechanics there rides a MKI and I've spoken with him before. I've got an appointment scheduled for 9:30 Friday morning, shouldn't take but an hour to get done then I would be able to come get you and go get your bike working.

Are you trying to get us to fix everything for you???!!! Just kidding. Give me a call Thursday evening and we can work out details.

Be neat if a MKI ign switch would plug into the harness, I've got an extra one with a key laying here in the garage.......

Dan

Hi Dano and Pegscraper,

Got a call from the bike shop and they said it was a loose battery cable. Whew, I was really worried.

They do say however that the flasher unit is defect and they can't get a replacement. The front turn signals still work as running lights but I don't have turn signals.

Leaves the broken right fog light from dropping it (yes, I will donate for that one :-)

I'll take a taxi over to pick it up, but I'll give Dano a call.

I really appreciate you guys and love this family of ours here.

I had my things shipped from Milwaukee but they won't arrive before Tuesday afternoon. I'd like to invite everybody, but dinner is on me for Dano and Lynn.

If things work out, I'll try to get the three open Midwest States visited. Just a quick run so I can say I have been there by motorcycle in the last five years. Have to be in DC with the bike by the 20th so I can catch my flight back to Germany.

Thanks,

Gypsy