IGNORED

Can I use air supsension compressor to fill tire?

Picked up a factory compressor and suspension controller to add to my VR Std. What's the capability of these units to fill a tire in a roadside repair?

Rather than trying to hook the hoses to the existing fork and shocks permanently I'm thinking of just having a hose with a schrader valve to do triple duty. Manual shock air up and emergency roadside repair.

I carry a small cigarette lighter compressor now but it's pretty lame and takes up space.

Pressure wise it should work.

The rear shock can be filled to over 40 lbs by the class system. The compressor does not know if it is connected to a shock or a tire. Pressure is pressure.

BUT, with that said. A tire is a lot more volume than either the front or rear shocks. I do not know if the onboard compressor has enough duty cycle to pump that much volume of air without over heating. But if it really is only for roadside emergency, then you can always pump for 5 minutes and let it cool for 10 till you get the tire filled.

In my opinion, I feel you would burn the air compressor up due to the amount of volume needed to fill a large tire compared to that of a small air bag inside a shock..

Pressure wise it would be comparable, but volume output I think it would have to run and run and run where it would eventually get really hot and either blow a fuse, or burn the motor up

Yep, it's a CFM thing... IF the pump would survive, it would take FOREVER to get enough volume to inflate a tire. I agree that the pump would go before that and it's NOT a cheap pump. But they DO make small, light electric pumps that are just great... not terribly speedy but efficient and reliable... so if IT blows up, oh well...