IGNORED

iPod connection to CD connector in side luggage?

XV1100SE

Not planning on spending $600+ on the cd changer from Yamaha but was thinking that rather than mounting my ipod on the handlebars and clutter things up, couldn't I put the iPod in the side luggage (where it will stay dry) and connect the audio out from the iPod to the pin connector for the cd ?

Anyone try this ?

I have a 2009 RSV. In the left side luggage is a cable which I believe is for a cd connection.

Edited by XV1100SE

I have a 1st Gen VR and a number of us have replaced the cassette with a connection to an Ipod. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do the same with the CD connector if you can determine what the pin outs are on the connector.

I have a switch to let the audio system know to pick up the IPOD signal and my son is going to build a switch box that will do it automatically.

Dave

Not planning on spending $600+ on the cd changer from Yamaha but was thinking that rather than mounting my ipod on the handlebars and clutter things up, couldn't I put the iPod in the side luggage (where it will stay dry) and connect the audio out from the iPod to the pin connector for the cd ?

Anyone try this ?

I have a 2009 RSV. In the left side luggage is a cable which I believe is for a cd connection.

No. This will not work. The connection interface is an old industry standard called C-bus. There is no direct connection to the speakers from that connector. Do a search on here for some other posts on this topic. :mad:

Was just thinking if I got left and right channel pin outs for the connector in the side bag I might be able to build a connector. Was wondering if anyone had done this yet.

As for removing the cassette deck... never know when you might need it ! LOL

I don't want to rig the ipod on the handle bars and thought putting it in the side bag would give some protection should I hit rain.

I now a good gps with mp3 player is the way to go but bike friendly gps' are a little down the road for me.

I'll see if I can get a pin out for the c-bus and maybe give it a shot. Depends on whether or not the audio system will be tricked into thinking there is a usable device and display it as an input option.

Was just thinking if I got left and right channel pin outs for the connector in the side bag I might be able to build a connector. Was wondering if anyone had done this yet.

As for removing the cassette deck... never know when you might need it ! LOL

I don't want to rig the ipod on the handle bars and thought putting it in the side bag would give some protection should I hit rain.

I now a good gps with mp3 player is the way to go but bike friendly gps' are a little down the road for me.

I'll see if I can get a pin out for the c-bus and maybe give it a shot. Depends on whether or not the audio system will be tricked into thinking there is a usable device and display it as an input option.

Hey Don

to do what you are thinking about for the trunk or side back, would be the same as spitting the Aux input in the fairing with an 1/8 mini Y connector (sames as down with a zumo or other Gps) then run an 1/8 back through the bike into your choice of side bag or trunk. I would think in the trunk. OTHER

Velcro tab to a tank bra, or into a trank bib with a pocket, and then go in through the front Aux jack on the highly used cassette deck.

Steve

split the aux in teh fairing and run an 8 foot extension to the the bag...i did this and ran an 8 foot adapter to the rear grab bar so my wife could plug in the ipod and control the tunes on our long rides. If you need help/pictures, let me know.

split the aux in teh fairing and run an 8 foot extension to the the bag...i did this and ran an 8 foot adapter to the rear grab bar so my wife could plug in the ipod and control the tunes on our long rides. If you need help/pictures, let me know.

I did the same but put it in the bag on the Driver backrest she can control the music and put in the bag to protect it from rain and such. It gives her something to keep her occupied while we ride too.

I did the same but put it in the bag on the Driver backrest she can control the music and put in the bag to protect it from rain and such. It gives her something to keep her occupied while we ride too.
I tried this, but it was pretty hard on the connection to the player. I got a new plug/adapter, then ran the audio and power wiring into the trunk where the player lives in the mesh pouch. There's no control, but I've set up a number of very long playlists that we both like, so it works out pretty well.

Keep an eye on that plug/adapter.

I have been working with Pete at Bike MP3 on this interface for some time now, and believe that it may be close to completion for the RSV interface. It will plug into the main harness in the faring and replace the CD Changer totally, and should have some limited control of the small unit in the trunk ( or saddle bag )

I tried this, but it was pretty hard on the connection to the player. I got a new plug/adapter, then ran the audio and power wiring into the trunk where the player lives in the mesh pouch. There's no control, but I've set up a number of very long playlists that we both like, so it works out pretty well.

Keep an eye on that plug/adapter.

I ran an 8 foot male to female extension cord...and i have a three foot male to male cord that we connect the ipod to. I havent had any problems but worst case would be to replace the 8 foot and start over. The cord is only $10 bucks so im okay with replacing it from time to time.

She keeps the ipod in a protective case used for runners that we just wrap around the driver backrest's support. Works great and keeps it from going anywhere!