IGNORED

so who`s from New Mexico??

Kregerdoodle

Guest tx2sturgis

Seriously?

I love it there but are you just fishing for sympathy or baiting someone?

I like the area south of Albuquerque myself. Trouble is, that area is growing and lots of other people do also.

It offers some good rural living, a laid-back lifestyle, reasonable cost of living, decent weather summer and winter, some good entertainment options, good riding in the mountains a short distance away, and its a short trip to a larger city, offering all the amenities.

In particular, I like the Bosque Farms, Belen, and Los Lunas areas, Socorro, and Truth or Consequences. There are a couple lakes nearby, as well as some state parks.

Albuquerque and Santa Fe are just way too populated for me, but they DO offer a variety of high paying jobs, if you need employment.

If you prefer cooler temperatures than this desert area, and dont mind some deep snow in the winter, then look into the Taos/Red River areas, or down around Ruidoso.

If you prefer the hotter climates, and prefer to see your snowfall on the Weather Channel, then look at Deming, Las Cruces, Lordsburg areas.

These are the areas I dont care much for: Gallup, Grants, Hobbs, Tucumcari, and Farmington.

If you want to move into a VERY rural area where you will NEVER be visited by your relatives passing through, then move over near Reserve, or Quemado. No one EVER goes there!

Just my :2cents:

Thanks, I would like to be close enough to the mountains that I can see the snow and maybe a good day ride to get there, but don`t want to live in the white fluffy crap..been there done that.. I`m just bouncing some thoughts around....

Seriously?

I love it there but are you just fishing for sympathy or baiting someone?

I like the area south of Albuquerque myself. Trouble is, that area is growing and lots of other people do also.

It offers some good rural living, a laid-back lifestyle, reasonable cost of living, decent weather summer and winter, some good entertainment options, good riding in the mountains a short distance away, and its a short trip to a larger city, offering all the amenities.

In particular, I like the Bosque Farms, Belen, and Los Lunas areas, Socorro, and Truth or Consequences. There are a couple lakes nearby, as well as some state parks.

Albuquerque and Santa Fe are just way too populated for me, but they DO offer a variety of high paying jobs, if you need employment.

If you prefer cooler temperatures than this desert area, and dont mind some deep snow in the winter, then look into the Taos/Red River areas, or down around Ruidoso.

If you prefer the hotter climates, and prefer to see your snowfall on the Weather Channel, then look at Deming, Las Cruces, Lordsburg areas.

These are the areas I dont care much for: Gallup, Grants, Hobbs, Tucumcari, and Farmington.

If you want to move into a VERY rural area where you will NEVER be visited by your relatives passing through, then move over near Reserve, or Quemado. No one EVER goes there!

Just my :2cents:

Guest tx2sturgis
Alamogordo is about 45 minutes from Ruidoso, but Alamogordo is in the desert. Ride in the mountains in the summer and desert in the winter, all within a 45 mile radius.

And living near Holloman AFB is not bad, especially since the F-117's dont crash NEAR as often into houses as they USED to. Those stealth fighters are retired now.

:duck:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Kreg,before you jump to New Mexico come over to my part of the world ...especially when Im feeling better..Ill take you to alot of nice places and any direction out of my door is fantastic scenery.Great riding yes hot in the summer but ony 450 or so to New Mexico

Well I'm not from New Mexico but I did live in Alamogordo for 4 years and I loved it. I love the desert and really loved the dry heat. I am in the Florida panhandle now and have been for 25 years but I am going back to New Mexico in a few years. I am so tired of the humidity here, sweating so bad I can hardly go outside:scorched: and raining every day.:rain2: I like the area of Alamogordo and being retired military I need the hospital there so I will more than likely go back to that area. It is a short drive to the mountians and ski areas to see snow in the winter yet you can go back down to the desert and warm up in the sun. Just waiting to sell the house and my wife to get to the point she can draw her pension from the school district and we are on the road west.:crackup:

I, personally would stick with one of the states that have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, S. Dakota, Texas, Nevada, Washington, Wyoming. Just can't giving money away...and our taxes are going to increase significantly anyway next year...not being political...just stating fact.

Guest tx2sturgis
I, personally would stick with one of the states that have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, S. Dakota, Texas, Nevada, Washington, Wyoming. Just can't giving money away...and our taxes are going to increase significantly anyway next year...not being political...just stating fact.

Simply having a state income tax is not the whole picture. The rate in New Mexico varies, but is around 3-5 percent for most tax payers. Plus I THINK you get a small federal tax credit for the state taxes you pay, if you itemize, but I'm NOT a tax preparer, so thats subject to correction.

Balance this against the lower state fuel taxes, lower cost of living, lower property taxes, lower sales taxes, clean air (in most places), less population density in most areas, and available recreation in New Mexico...and then compare that to say, Texas, where I live. Texas has one of the highest state sales tax, and the highest property and school taxes anywhere. Overall cost of living is what matters when on a budget.

It would be a non-issue for me.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Thinking of selling out and maybe head to new Mexico in the next year or so... any good locations, sugestions??

I've lived in New mexico most of my life and worked or traveled in all the lower 48.

I'll take New Mexico for the all around good life. I live in Tijeras NM just east of Albuquerque in the mountains. Can ride almost year round. It gets cold but head south a little and the weather is pleasent. I usually ride to and from work and on a weekend or two between December and Feburary, but from March to November it is usually wheels down and crusing. Don't want you to think it doesn't get cold here, cause it does. The summer can get warm but very little if any humity and that makes for great riding March to November. The rides are enjoyable and you can be in Arizona, Colorado, Texas in just a few hours and not have to ride the same roads......more to come

Shamue