IGNORED

Total Hip Replacement, how long b-4 U were back in the saddle?

Guest HdHtr

I had my right hip replaced August 2nd. I am doing great. My doc has secured my agreement that I'd wait 3 months before getting back on the bike. He seems to think less time than that would be chancy. So I am waiting and we'll look at riding then.

My question is for those who've had a hip replaced ... how long post surgery before you were riding again?

I know you dont want to hear this Steve but it was a year for me and I didnt even get a new joint out of it.Take it easy and take care of yourself I will get down there one day soon to ride your scoot for you and see your lovely bride call if you need anything

Jeff

10 weeks for me but be careful you can pop the hip out of the socket and have to start all over again.

Mine healed quick and Now 2 years later I keep forgetting I even had it replaced. ( maybe its my age that makes me forget ?) I forgot

10 weeks for me but be careful you can pop the hip out of the socket and have to start all over again.

Mine healed quick and Now 2 years later I keep forgetting I even had it replaced. ( maybe its my age that makes me forget ?) I forgot

I have been watching the precautions closely for sure.

I know you dont want to hear this Steve but it was a year for me and I didnt even get a new joint out of it.Take it easy and take care of yourself I will get down there one day soon to ride your scoot for you and see your lovely bride call if you need anything Jeff

OK Jeff, I am not waiting a year or taking the sun and sand treatment! Come down anytime ... bike could use some road time!!

Hang in there, Steve - time will fly by before you know it. I haven't had what you had, but when I had my neck surgery / fusion last year, the doctor had me off the bike for 6 months - anything sooner he said would mess stuff up. Having met during that period of time, and known people who didn't listen to their doctor's with the same surgery I had, I did listen to my doc - now I didn't even know I had had the surgery.

I did a hip resurfacing on both hips in April 2007, and by late May 2007, I was riding my scooter, and the Venture within 3 months. Every one of us is unique is our recovery, so do the therapy they tell you to RELIGIOUSLY and the time will go by quickly until you can be back aboard.

We can all understand you hate not riding, but imagine how much you might hate having to undergo surgery a second time!

Best of luck and may the recovery be short and successful!!!

POLEDAR:fiddle:

Steve, did you have the anterior or posterior procedure...........Charlene had the anterior done, which is done from the front and she was released with no restrictions after 6 weeks, she was okayed to ride by the doc, but she hasnt yet, she is doing great, and he said she can do anything she could do before, very little chance of it popping out. Today she has an MRI on her neck she might need surgery there also, and still the knee is waiting.

Steve, did you have the anterior or posterior procedure...........Charlene had the anterior done, which is done from the front and she was released with no restrictions after 6 weeks, she was okayed to ride by the doc, but she hasnt yet, she is doing great, and he said she can do anything she could do before, very little chance of it popping out. Today she has an MRI on her neck she might need surgery there also, and still the knee is waiting.

Posterior. Have to follow the precautions. I too have to get my right knee replaced, but hopefully put that off till next winter!! Hope her MRI today leads the docs to a lasting fix for her neck concerns.

Edited by HdHtr

I did a hip resurfacing on both hips in April 2007, and by late May 2007, I was riding my scooter, and the Venture within 3 months. Every one of us is unique is our recovery, so do the therapy they tell you to RELIGIOUSLY and the time will go by quickly until you can be back aboard.

We can all understand you hate not riding, but imagine how much you might hate having to undergo surgery a second time!

Best of luck and may the recovery be short and successful!!!POLEDAR:fiddle:

Thanks! I am minding the doc and PT folks to the letter. What is deceiving is that after waking up from the surgery my hip has functioned more and hurt less than the last time I walked to the batroom when waiting to go into the OR. I have been amazed at how little bother this has been. There has been a time or two that I've over done it during a day in the last 3 weeks but I have still stayed within the restrictions. All in all it is working out well, waiting 12 weeks (9 more) is not a problem given the long range goal and I sure don't wanna have to do it over again.

Hang in there, Steve - time will fly by before you know it. I haven't had what you had, but when I had my neck surgery / fusion last year, the doctor had me off the bike for 6 months - anything sooner he said would mess stuff up. Having met during that period of time, and known people who didn't listen to their doctor's with the same surgery I had, I did listen to my doc - now I didn't even know I had had the surgery.

I remember when you were down with that. Yeah, sometimes you gotta behave and mind. I am resolved to being good and minding!!

I had the right knee replaced 3 months after the right hip. Now its been about 2 years and the hip and knee have been great for over a year now. The trouble is I'm sitting here withe an ice pack on my left knee and will probably have to have that one replaced this year. Getting old SUCKS

Glad I have the sidecar rig. Looking to get out on Sat. and ride some. ( not having to hold it up makes for a fun ride when you have a bad knee.)

Just don't push the healing and do the PT. The knee takes about twice as much work to heal right.

I had my right hip replaced August 2nd. I am doing great. My doc has secured my agreement that I'd wait 3 months before getting back on the bike. He seems to think less time than that would be chancy. So I am waiting and we'll look at riding then.

My question is for those who've had a hip replaced ... how long post surgery before you were riding again?

I ordered the front brake system from Skydoc and when it comes in I may need you adivce on how to install it. You can point and show me; that'l keep you out of the bars for a day.

On a serious note, get well so we can ride, my friend.