IGNORED

Camping this past Weekend

marinakorp

So I was without my daughter this past weekend and had a wild hair to go camping.

After getting all my gear together that I normally take (in the car) ... there was no room for me on the bike.

King size Air mattress, Tent, Deep Cycle Marine Battery (have to run a CPAP to sleep at nite), etc....

I started to look at options.

Most places wanted 30.00 to get a site without electric....so I still would need the battery... 40 or more for a campsite with electric (a bit high but saves me from lugging the battery)

Cabins were 100+ (not going to spend 100 on a cabin for myself... might as well get a hotel room)

Then I foound this place...almost right where I wanted to be camping ANYWAY.

http://www.steelsteedscamp.com/

for 45 a nite... they gave me a HUGE tent with a REAL king sized bed (no air mattress) sheets (nice thread count too), electricity to my tent and all the over fluffy towels I needed for the wekend!

Bob was super nice (owner / manager)

They also had travel trailers for rent (A/C etc) and other tents with air mattresses (for a little less).

Bathrooms were SPOTLESS.

If you find yourself in central PA Up around Bucknell (williamsport / State college is close enough) give them a look for a place to stay.

Bike Camping3.jpg

That is WAY cool - I had no idea there were campgrounds that rented tents ! or trailers!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Me neither... did a google search for motorcycle camp grounds... and it came up in my state... about where I wanted to be for the wekend.

Most places will do a "cabin" as aq rental... like KOA or other places... didn't really want that.

Was very impressed wit hthe quality of the matress (comfort) and the sheets... and cleanliness.

I am definately going back and use as a base camp for a few day tour of the area...covered bridge tour, grand canyon (of PA) and a few other destinations.

Marinakorp -

we stayed at a Pa. state campground several years ago with a QuickKamp bike camper. Was within a few miles of the Grand Canyon, weather co-operated perfectly, just a GREAT vacation.

There's a state road in Wellsboro that goes along the river for 15 or 20 miles. It starts out a 2 lane with lines and everything, pretty soon it strongly resembles a cow path as far as width goes but the road is A1 and just perfect for a bike. Don't remember seeing more than 3 or 4 cars the whole way thru - wish I could remember the #

crs is catching up to me

Hummingbird... looks like you are in Malvern... PA?

I am currently working in Chesterbrook. Small world.

I am eventually looking to get a hitch for the scoot and be able to tow my gear... Funds are super low with having to support a recent EX (still working out the details... FUN FUN FUN).

Once I get my finances in order :fingers-crossed-emo , update the bike with New Rubber, Brakes (etc) I will be looking for a hitch (seen a few out there for the 96 Royal) to tow a Tag along...should be enough to get me to a campground for a weekend :fishin: and not have to deal with the power supply issues.

Me neither... did a google search for motorcycle camp grounds... and it came up in my state... about where I wanted to be for the wekend.

Most places will do a "cabin" as aq rental... like KOA or other places... didn't really want that.

Was very impressed wit hthe quality of the matress (comfort) and the sheets... and cleanliness.

I am definately going back and use as a base camp for a few day tour of the area...covered bridge tour, grand canyon (of PA) and a few other destinations.

Small world, we were up in that very area over the weekend, had trouble finding rooms in Wellsboro, Mansfield and Williamsport, finally found one in New Columbia. Ran into a couple on an HD at the restaurant we stopped at, they were telling us about this very place and how nice it was. If you are ever in that area again, take Rt 125 off 61 it is an awesome ride up over the mtns. Also I think the road Hummingbird is thinking of is 414 down thru Blackwell and along the river. If you are ever up my way give me a shout, I'll buy ya a coffee. Craig

Small world, we were up in that very area over the weekend, had trouble finding rooms in Wellsboro, Mansfield and Williamsport, finally found one in New Columbia. Ran into a couple on an HD at the restaurant we stopped at, they were telling us about this very place and how nice it was. If you are ever in that area again, take Rt 125 off 61 it is an awesome ride up over the mtns. Also I think the road Hummingbird is thinking of is 414 down thru Blackwell and along the river. If you are ever up my way give me a shout, I'll buy ya a coffee. Craig

It's a smaller world than most think

I live in Malvern, Ohio and have bought my last 2 Silvrado's from Walters Chevrolet in Elkland Pa. just North of Wellsboro. It's about a 6 hour drive but it's well worth it for the $$$$ saved. Plus we stop in Wellsboro at Georges Restaurant and get one of their cinnamon

buns. We try to get a dozen to go when they have enough made 'cause I only buy truck every 3 or 4 years, depends on miles.

Just got back from PA, spent all of last week there, in Lancaster more or less, rode some awesome roads,,,, little or no traffic,,,,,, WOW, what a good time,,,, will go back there again,,, maybe real soon. Didn't post that we were going, wanted to be on our own. Motels were ot that bad for price, had one room in Buttonville (Ephorium) for only $38.00, it was small, but we only slept there, so it was awesome. Stayed at the Dutch Motel in Palmyra and got ripped off for an extra $20.00,,,, she wasn't Dutch, she was from Burma. Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves and plan to go again, maybe in the fall for some colors.

That is the exact route i took to go home... 61 to 125 (what a CRAZY road!)... .they must have a few 120 degree turns (or more)... when they say 10 MPH... they meant it!

There was a slew of sport bikes in that section...for good reason I suppose.

then to 501 and 287 ... 322 (there is a GREAT BBQ place on 322 - Something Grilled in Honeybrook!) 82, 345, 401... backroads unknown to get home. a Great ride.

When I went there, I took 147 up from harrisburgh (at the camp owners -bob - suggestion) and then to 405. it was an OK ride.

Just got back from PA, spent all of last week there, in Lancaster more or less, rode some awesome roads,,,, little or no traffic,,,,,, WOW, what a good time,,,, will go back there again,,, maybe real soon. Didn't post that we were going, wanted to be on our own. Motels were ot that bad for price, had one room in Buttonville (Ephorium) for only $38.00, it was small, but we only slept there, so it was awesome. Stayed at the Dutch Motel in Palmyra and got ripped off for an extra $20.00,,,, she wasn't Dutch, she was from Burma. Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves and plan to go again, maybe in the fall for some colors.

Lancaster has some GREAT roads. Take a look at the one's I listed if you are ever back this way again.

125 is a little ... rough on the lower sections (not un safe, just not perfect) but hte top end is FANTASTIC when it gets closer to 61 over the mountain.