IGNORED

Won't stay running

I have a first gen and it won't stay running. If I put a few drops of gas in carbs and it will burn that off and wont stay running. I have ordered a fuel pump off ebay. It's like the fuel is getting cut off before it reaches the carbs. I pulled the fuel line off at the carb and turned the key and fuel is pumping but when it starts it quickly dies after the drops pf gas that i put in carbs burns off. uggg very fustrated

Morning Chop and welcome to the site.

Ok, lots of things to look at here. I guess we should start at the carbs.

When you set the bike up to start (key on and kill switch to run) you should hear a series of clicks from the fuel pump, priming the carb bowls. Do that cycle a few times until it don't click anymore. Then you know the fuel bowls are filled.

Open the fuel bowl drains and make sure the bowls have fuel in them, and catch the gas in a glass bottle to see what else comes out. Should only be clear fuel.

If that is not happening check the fuel line from the pump to the feed T at the top of the carbs. That line is probably still red if it's the original line. So 20 years old. These lines have been know to break down internally and collaspe or send tiny chunks of rubber into the carbs clogging the net filter in the carb body. More on that later.

Ok, the fuel pump. These usualy fail completely, all at once. There is no kit for them so your ordering a used one is a good step forward if you need one. If it's clicking three or four seconds when you hit the key, you should be fine on that.

Now you said it pumps fuel for a bit and quits. Follow the line from the input side of the pump, another possible problem hose and that runs to the fuel filter behide the pump. A bit a bear to remove if needed but possible. I replace mine every time I take the rear wheel off. Yep, that's the easy way. LOL!

The fuel filter would be my first suspect. A lot of them have never been changed. Check it for rust debris, anything clogging it. Replace it no matter how it looks.

Ok, if it looks like it might have rust particles in it, you may have a problem in the fuel tank. If the filter is filled with rust flakes the next filter will fill up fast also.

If it is ...... remove the seat. On the top of the fuel tank there is a panel the mounts the fuel level sending unit. Four bolts and an electrical plug. Remove it and carefully look into the tank at the right side where the petcock is. Look at the pick up screens on the petcock. One on a stand pipe, the "run" pickup, and one right at the bottom of the tank, the "reserve" pickup. Both screen should be intact and undamaged and clear.

Then what do you see on the bottom of the tank? Water, rust? If you have a rust problem change ALL the lines and filter and consider coating the tank interior.

Ok those are about all the thing to check. If you do not find any problems with the lines, pump, filter or petcock add about half a can of Sea Foam to the fuel and cycle it into the carbs and let it sit over night and then drain the fuel bowls again and repeat the process. That will clean the gunk out of the system.

There are a set of small net filters (1 built into each carb body) that can clog up also but that don't sound like your problem. Won't worry about them yet.

So that's a starting point. Glad you got up early right? :big-grin-emoticon:

Like I said, I'd suspect the filter first.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Mike

:2BLUE:

If it is ...... remove the seat. On the top of the fuel tank there is a panel the mounts the fuel level sending unit. Four bolts and an electrical plug. Remove it and carefully look into the tank at the right side where the petcock is. Look at the pick up screens on the petcock. One on a stand pipe, the "run" pickup, and one right at the bottom of the tank, the "reserve" pickup. Both screen should be intact and undamaged and clear.

Mike

:2BLUE:

A small addition here, do not remove this panel with a full tank of gas, it needs to be below 1/2 tank full. Fuel will run out of panel when it is loosened if tank is full.

Gary

I am so glad to have got some responses to my post. I have never heard of Seafoam is it difficult to find? At the petcock on the outside of the tank is that a switch for fuel reserve?

I have taken off the fuel line at the "t" on the carbs and it was reds so I replaces it and fuel gets pushed to the carbs if I take it off and turn on the key. Is there some kinda fuel sensor unit that tells when the carbs have enough fuel?

Hiya Chop.

The only real "sensor" in the fuel system is when the pump clicks and stops. That shows the carbs are full. At that point the floats have seated the needles and bowls are filled.

Ok.....here is where you get to make your first tool to use on a Venture.

On the carbs, actually at the brackets that tie the bodies together you have the four black rubber lines sticking out. Two from each side. These are the fuel bowl drain lines from the bottom of the bowls.

Get some clear air line from a pet store about the same size as the drain lines. Then stop by the auto parts store and find a male/male connecting nipple that fits. The new line only needs to be about 6 inches long.

Connect the new clear line to the black drain line where it comes through the bracket.

If you look at the side of the carb body along the slide housing you should see a raised scribe mark at along the center line of the slider housing. This is your working point.

Turn the key on and set the kill switch to on so you hear the pump clicking. Leave it turned on. (this works best if the bike is running but in your case, we do what we can) Open the drain line screw up several turns and hold the clear line straight up against the out side of the diaphragm cover. The fuel level in the clear line should be about......15 mm below that scribe line. (correct me if I'm off on that guys)

Check each carb that way and make note of each level reading as you go. If the fuel level is higher than the line, it will be over flowing into the overflow lines off the top of the carbs and draining through those hoses to under the bike. Not your problem it don't sound like. If the fuel level is way below the scribe line you are not getting enough fuel into the carbs for them to work properly. That sounds like your problem.

All four carbs should be as a close as possible.

This fuel system is very low pressure. There is no way to attach a gauge to check fuel pressure like we used to do on the cars. This gauge is about the only way to make sure you have the proper fuel level. If the levels are way out of whack, then you will need to pull the carbs and tweak the tangs on the floats to correct them.

That is your last resort at this point. Way down the road after we check everything else. Check the level as described to see where you stand now and use that for reference later if adjustments are needed.

Ok....Sea Foam. May be the only product on the market today that actually does what it claims to do. Great product. It breaks down the varnish from old fuel all through the system. Check your local auto parts stores for it and be prepared to pay up to $10 or $11 bucks a can there. If you have a WalMart available they usually sell it for about $9.00. Folks have been finding out how well this product works over the last few years and prices have been climbing accordingly. Same company makes "Deep Creep". Get a can of each if you can. Basic tools for restoring an old bike.

Ask Yammer Dan....I think he has a Sea Foam Billboard in his yard. :stickpoke:

Google it and read up on the product. Great stuff.

But I'm still thinking the filter may be part of your issue, It may be letting enough seep by to get the bike started but not enough to keep the carbs fed.

Sea Foam would be the best start for now. My bike had been stored for 9 years when I bought it. Dosed the tank with SF and drained the carbs and refilled them and let them sit over night. Drain again the next day and refilled them again and set over night. Repeated that for like 4 days. Then the bike started to fire on a run on its own. After it it kept running then the "ride it like you stole it" process began. The SF works best sitting in the system. Gives it time to work.

Heavy doses of SF will foul your plugs over time. All that gunk you are dissolving fuses to the plugs so be prepared to change them out after you get it running.

Speaking of plugs.......you have fresh plugs in there now? These bike really like:

(1) fully charged batteries.

(2) Fresh fuel.

(3) clean plugs.

Oh yeah...you have an '83. The fuel valve on you bike is on the right side of the bike and if I remember right under the plastic side cover by the rear foot peg. If I recall correctly you need to remove the cover to get to the valve on the '83. Later models had a cut out so you could see and reach it without doing that. It is probably set for "reserve" now. Most owners leave it at that because of the fuel pump. It's not going to flood like a gravity feed system. As long as it's allowing a good flow though the petcock and fuel select valve you should be good. If you pull the fuel line off the back side of the fuel pump (input side) you should have a good flow there. If not, the petcock is clogged, the fuel valve is off, or the filter is plugged, or a line is bad.

So there ya go. Things to do.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

That should keep you out of our hair I mean busy for a while we ain't got much hair!! Just kidding. Get into it and you will learn and if you have any questions at all we will be here. If you are having trouble understanding something it may be something that can be explained better over a phone most of us have numbers listed. Good luck with it and keep us updated.

Oh yeah...you have an '83. The fuel valve on you bike is on the right side of the bike and if I remember right under the plastic side cover by the rear foot peg. If I recall correctly you need to remove the cover to get to the valve on the '83. Later models had a cut out so you could see and reach it without doing that. It is probably set for "reserve" now.

Mike

Early 83's do not have a reserve setting on the petcock.

If it does have a reserve setting, I think they put a notch in the right side cover so you can reach it without pulling cover off. This started towards the end of the 83 run and continued on.

Gary

WOW!!! sounds like I am gonna be busy. I reall like this bike and all the pieces are there. I am just not sure that I have the skills to get it in running shape. I can tell you that I am gonna give it the ole college try.

There is new plugs and I have bought a new battery and drained the old fuel and replaced it. I am gonna get some seafoam and try that. You can believe that I am gonna need alot of help with this bike and it's good to have a few good guys like you in my corner.

Thanks'

Dave