IGNORED

Hannigan Aux Gas Install Questions

kj5ix

Jeff; So not to take away from your headlight thread I started this one for the Aux Gas Tank.

George, I have been wanting to ask you a Question.I had asked you why you had to take the entire rear end of the trike off to add the Aux gas tank. I am confused as why? why can it not still be connected to the front. I know the body must be removed and welding tabs has to be done. but still confused as why I need to remove the frame work to add the new tank?

Thanks,

Jeff

NO NO the rear end; as in Frame work doesn't have to come off just the tour pac and body & running boards if you have them. The rear end ( pumpkin ) it self may have to be lowered ( basically removed, and sit down with axles still attached like putting in the drive shaft ) to do the welding there, but maybe not too. That could be done with asbestos blankets laid across the rear end. :confused24:

As simple as it looks it was done in a sort of complicated way. Meaning for an installer, it has to come off before the kit can be installed, and they supper locktited the mounts to the tank side, and you have to bend the rubber stand offs to the point of breaking loose to get the tank out of the frame to put the kit on the bike, and then go through it again to install the tank. I was able to break loose the stand offs, and eliminate 90% of that part.

I think that there has been a retro fit of a couple from this board if I remember right, but haven't heard too much about it. This board is a little slow with activity compared to other boards, but the Quality of the threads makes up for that.

OK now I see why you asked that question the way you did: I may have given the impression that I had taken the whole thing off the bike, in the other thread about the gas tank. I had just received the kit to be installed, not retro fitting the tank,,,,:confused24:

:puzzled:

Now that is sweet... thanks for the pics.

Why do you have the entire rear end off ? (profiles photos)

Is this a must to add the aux tank?

Just wondering. this WILL be next winters project!

Jeff

Having the rear end off: Yes indeedie : That is why it is a two day job to retro one into the trike frame. If the tabs aren't there for the tank ( any trike made before the last two months ) they will have to be welded to the frame. Then the fitting starts. Mine here is a new kit ( first with the aux tank out of proto-type ) that I spent the last 5 days putting together, and the good part is that tomorrow afternoon I get to take it all back apart to take the body, and running boards to the paint shop, along with the fairing, tank , trunk etc:etc.....

Here is the link to my photo-bucket of the process (mostly)

http://s382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/