IGNORED

Using an E3 front with a Commander Rear?

RSTDdog

So I'm of the running matched tires school, but finances and an otherwise perfectly good rear tire (Michelin Commander with about 5k) have me exploring options.

I can't get a Matching Michelin Commander front tire. Parts Unlimited is the only importer for Michelin Tires and they are on backorder since April. New B/O release date is 9/2/2010 but need a new tire before that. Going to the Moto GP Races at Indy end of August. Have 16K on the Front Brickstone and its time.

My local independent dealer is competitive on tires with the net (within $5.00). Prefer to give him the business. He has offered up the Pirelli Route 66 Front as an option and close tread match to the Michelin. Saw Goose's write up on the Pirelli and some other comments and seems it would be an improvement over the Brickstone.

I'm considering getting the E3 front now since its not much more money than the Pirelli and in another 5k or so when the Michelin wears, getting the E3 rear. E3 rear has more capacity which I like since I plan to add a tour pack.

Any input is appreciated. Anyone with adverse handling experiences with this combo (E3 front Michelin Rear) Michelin Commander rear tread pattern looks alot like the old 491 series Dunlop to me.

Thanks!

RSTDdog

Mix and Match - no problem. Over the last year I have run - without difficulty -

1 - Dunlop D404 rear / Avon Venom front

2 - Dunlop D404 rear / D404 front

3 - Dunlop E3 rear / D404 front

4 - E3 rear / Avon Venom front (same one as previously - took off and replaced)

5 - now running E3 front and rear

Other than the lousy life out of the D404s, had no difficulties in any and all weather and roads. Although rain and dirt/gravel make a bad combination for any tires on this bike - don't ask for pictures on how I know.

Have fun in Indy with the Commander/E3 combo.

RR

I'm probably over thinking it a bit. The Commander was new on the bike when I got it and I have been running the Commander/Bridgestone combo for 5000 or so miles with no ill affects. Get some howling on corners. Unless someone has a compelling reason not to do this, I think I'm going with the E3 on the front since I want to end up with a pair of those eventually.

Thanks,

RSTDdog

I currently run a e3 on the front and an Avon on the rear. I have one more avon rear to use up and then will run e3's both front and rear. We went to Potato Creek this summer with that combo and didnt notice a thing regarding handling.

I will never go back to avon's due to the cracking issue we seem prone to up in the cold.

Persistance paid. I kept looking on the Internet and did find a small dealer with a hand full of Michelin Commander front 150/80-16 available. He had 5 left after mine.

He was not aware of the outage. He's in the eastern hills of KY.

I got mine last week. Good tire, now 2oo miles on it.

Info:

Dealer www.ridedirect.com or 866-574-1939

Price was $120.95 + $10 ground ship US = $130.95 delivered

Ships same day if you call before the UPS truck comes.

Date code on tire I got was "0307" , that is 3rd week of January 2007. Made in Spain.

As that is a Kevlar belted tire, tire age is good (for 10 or so years).

Date code on my rear "new" tire from national dealer was 3908, so don't think you will find fresh/new.

He said he does price match if your other dealer has it in stock,,,, duhh,,, nope.

He may have sold some more cause I have been trying to let the people on this forum and Star Touring know he has them.

I've gone from Avons Venoms to the Michelin Commanders. I'm quite happy with initial results. I expect similar mileage. Oh, and the mix of Avon on the front and Michelin on the rear did fine for 1200 Blue Ridge miles last month.

Post or email if you have questions.

Good luck,

Mike G in SC

Edited by Mike G in SC

Thanks Mike. I had seen your earlier post somewhere that you found them. If my local independent dealer could still get it, the price through him was only 104.95. Since he's putting the tire on, I prefer to order it through him. For 120.00 I can get the E3 so I'll probably go that route. Parts Unlimited has been changing the B/O release date once a month since April on the Michelin. I think someone else indicated Michelin may be coming out with a replacement. My dealer and another local dealer here got good deals (closeouts) on the Commander in the Harley Sizes. Thanks again for the reply.

Derrek

RSTDdog