IGNORED

Maybe not so bad after all????

I've done sea foam twice and sync'd the carbs, installed new plugs.

I rode about 105 miles or so today so next I'm going to pull the plugs to see how they look.

OK...so I have the side cases off to do the carb sync and change plugs. I've just received the Plastex kit so I rode with the plastic off while I work on them.

Tonight I went for a ride and kept getting a "pricking" feeling to my inner thigh.

I thought it might have been a sharp end of a cable tie or a wire twist tie sticking me but after a few checks to see what it could be I realized it was the spark plug wire giving me minor zaps! (both left and right)

So...perhaps a stupid question...but does that mean I most certainly need new plug wires?

But I'm getting 34 mpg (US) or 6.1 L/100 km or 40.8 miles per Can. gal. and that was at least 3/4 of the time doubled up!

SO....I now am thinking my bike is not doing so bad....and that it just isn't the powerhouse that SOME PEOPLE (who shall remain nameless eh Yammer Dan???) is just putting us on about these 1st gens being such an amazing powerhouse!

Edited by Trader

Hey Trader,

On my last trip of 600 miles over the 4th of July Holiday, 2 up fully loaded, I got 51 MPG and saw 115 MPH on several occasions. Here is a set of excellent spark plug wires offered on Ebay that will keep your legs from becoming a ground for your coils.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-XVZ12-Spark-Plug-Wires-Red-XVZ1200-/390217816428?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adacb596c

If this link doesn't work the Ebay item number is: 390217816428

Spend the $40.00 bucks and start riding that scoot on all four cylinders like the rest of us. (Including Yammer Dan)

At 34 MPG your mileage still sucks. I would be more than happy to show you the very nice LED lighting I have...... ON THE BACK OF MY BIKE!

Questions, Parts needed, PM me.:confused24:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!

Hi,

I get consistent avg of 50 mpg imperial on both my '84's.

FWIW: Mostly I just commute on these bikes. I ride 2/3 of the way on 80 km/h roads like Hwy 47 (at up to 100 km/h :innocent:) mostly in 4th gear with the remaining 1/3 at 120 - 130 km/h in 5th gear on Hwy 404.

(Google calc tell me that 50 (miles per Imperial gallon) =~ 42 miles per US gallon)

Now I am such a surly old goat that no one will ride with me so its all just one up but still I think your 34 miles per US gallon indicates a problem.

Are you sure all 4 cylinders are firing?

Hope this helps,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

Edited by 6m459
I had another thought

Hey Trader,

On my last trip of 600 miles over the 4th of July Holiday, 2 up fully loaded, I got 51 MPG and saw 115 MPH on several occasions. Here is a set of excellent spark plug wires offered on Ebay that will keep your legs from becoming a ground for your coils.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-XVZ12-Spark-Plug-Wires-Red-XVZ1200-/390217816428?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adacb596c

If this link doesn't work the Ebay item number is: 390217816428

Spend the $40.00 bucks and start riding that scoot on all four cylinders like the rest of us. (Including Yammer Dan)

At 34 MPG your mileage still sucks. I would be more than happy to show you the very nice LED lighting I have...... ON THE BACK OF MY BIKE!

Questions, Parts needed, PM me.:confused24:

Earl

I don't need to add anything. Tune-up. Sync Carbs and HANG ON!!:rotfl::rotfl:

It sounds like a classic running on 3 cylinders. Will she do over 85? My bikes fooled me a couple of times so far. If your not getting on it, you might not notice the power loss. The milage is a indicator its running on 3. If your getting zapped you need new wires. Good luck.

It sounds like a classic running on 3 cylinders. Will she do over 85? My bikes fooled me a couple of times so far..

I haven't had anywhere to open it up...around here its 55 miles per (80 km) so I don't usually do more than 100 k/hr (65 mph)...WAY too many cops around.

but the plugs look like its running on all 4