IGNORED

Camping in Colorado

ibents

There are six of us heading from Windsor to Colorado on the 9th of Aug and intend to take 3 or 4 days getting there, we have 3 weeks to explore the state and would like to get some info on camp grounds in the N, central and SE. We will be doing the Northern rides, then down to the SE. There are a couple of camp grounds that seem pretty good, one around Dolores...Priest Gulch....and Durango...Riverside Resort& RV....any help or suggestions that anyone may have would be appreciated.

Ian

Sorry, I cant give you any suggestions for camp sites, but I did ride thru the Colorado Mountains the first week of July this year. Beautiful, breath taking. I just camped when I came across them, but I will tell you it is cold in the mountains. It went down to 34 degrees. (1 celsius) I did not have warm clothes for sleeping as I was only planning on the heat for when I got to Vegas. I slept with all my clothes on and MC gloves and chaps.

So, my advice bring warm sleeping gear. It will be in the 80's in the day but 30's at night.

Have a safe and fun time.

Oh yes watch out for bears. Not food or coolers in your tent. If you are cooking leave your clothes that you cooked and ate in outside also. The park Rangers also told me to leave tooth paste outside as the bears will come in to eat that.

[

Oh yes watch out for bears. Not food or coolers in your tent. If you are cooking leave your clothes that you cooked and ate in outside also. The park Rangers also told me to leave tooth paste outside as the bears will come in to eat that.

Thanks for the heads up, guess we'll have to get some bear spray.

Ian

Get a heated blanket they roll up quite small and will keep you warm during the cold nights. That is all you will need even on those cold or warm nights

Ian enjoy your trip

Brad

I just heat up some water and fill an empty plastic coke bottle with it and throw one bottle in the the bottom of each sleeping bag.

it will keep you warm for hours in a sleeping bag.

its nothing extra to carry on a bike, theres always plastic bottles around after a long days ride...

Brian

I would definately stay at Mesa Verde National Park. Nice camp ground and faculities, warm showers. Then in Durango definately a good place to eat and be intertained is the Bar D Chuckwagon BBQ.

There are six of us heading from Windsor to Colorado on the 9th of Aug and intend to take 3 or 4 days getting there, we have 3 weeks to explore the state and would like to get some info on camp grounds in the N, central and SE. We will be doing the Northern rides, then down to the SE. There are a couple of camp grounds that seem pretty good, one around Dolores...Priest Gulch....and Durango...Riverside Resort& RV....any help or suggestions that anyone may have would be appreciated.

Ian

Guest PlaneCrazy
[

Ian

You might want to wait until you get across the border before you buy the bear spray. Its basically pepper spray and they sell stronger stuff in the states then you can buy in Ontario. Also, I am not sure how the jolly people at the border might feel about you bringing that across :confused24:

[

Ian

Ian,

A number of years back Irene and I stayed in KOAs in Colorado: Durango, Canon City, Estes Park, and Gould. Plus a couple of places that aren't there any more. We also stayed at National Park campgrounds. The KOAs had full facilities where we could wash clothes. The one in Red Lodge, Montana even had a hot tub. The park campgrounds were quite rustic, but the Park Rangers put on informational talks and such in the evenings. We alternated, more or less. It made for a good trip, and we could travel light without a lot of trouble.

While you're in Durango don't pass up the chance to ride the Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway. Wow. Then there's the big three: Pike's Peak, Mt. Evans, and Trail Ridge Road... I've really gotta plan another trip out there.

By the way, do you know how you can tell a Grizzly from a Brown bear? The Grizzly's breath smells like pepper spray. Maybe you should find out what kind of gloves Yammer Dan had.

Thanks for the info Steve and Shamue, Mesa Verde is one of the places that we want to see. We want to try to find reasonable priced campgrounds that have showers and laundry facilities and Wi Fi if possible.

Good ideas Brad & Brian on the blanket and pop bottle, worth giving them a try. I'm sure it will be a good trip most people I've spoke to say its beautiful country, I'll take lots of pics.

Thanks again guys

Ian