IGNORED

Question about rear brake caliper

Since I am so new to the Ventures I have to ask even if I sound stupid, should there be movement in the rear brake caliper? I can move it a little bit up and down with my hand it seems to rock on a bolt, I just want to make sure its supposed to do that.

This is best picture I have to show rear brake arm.

Lower arm in picture is an 83-85 rear brake arm.

Hole in left side slides over a pin in the swing arm ahead of the rear axle. This is a loose fit, so brake can move a little.

Axle goes through hole in right side.

Top arm is from an 86-93 bike that is been modified to fit on a 83-95 bike.

Second picture shows rear brake arm setting on swing arm pin. I put a bushing in arm to adapt it to 83 swing arm.

Front hole is different.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT5373s.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT5383s.jpg

The caliper should not EASILY move. It's clamped by axle at the "carrier" or mounting arm some call it. If it moves easily with your hand. Someting is not correctly tightened. Either the axle or 12mm head bolts. There is suppose to be over 100 ft/lb of torque on the axle. IT's not suppose to move!

The caliper should not EASILY move. It's clamped by axle at the "carrier" or mounting arm some call it. If it moves easily with your hand. Someting is not correctly tightened. Either the axle or 12mm head bolts. There is suppose to be over 100 ft/lb of torque on the axle. IT's not suppose to move!

Correct, the caliper should not move independent of the brake arm.

But, the brake arm can rotate a very small amount.

Gary