IGNORED

Another biker victim of moron cager

Jethroish

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A motorcyclist has died after being hurt in a traffic crash at Fern Valley Road and Preston Highway Thursday afternoon.

The coroner's office has identified the victim as 62-year-old Tony Blunk. He died at University Hospital just before 6:30 p.m. from multiple blunt force injuries.

He was not wearing a helmet.

Police say Blunk was struck by a Ford Taurus around 4:15 p.m. Thursday. According to police, the driver of the Taurus was heading west on Fern Valley Road when it ran a red light and struck the motorcycle.

The woman driving the Taurus was not hurt. LMPD spokesman Dwight Mitchell says the woman told police she came to a stop at the red light, but continued into the intersection after mistakenly thinking that it had turned green.

No charges are expected.

Copyright 2010 WAVE News. All rights reserved.

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A motorcyclist has died after being hurt in a traffic crash at Fern Valley Road and Preston Highway Thursday afternoon.

The coroner's office has identified the victim as 62-year-old Tony Blunk. He died at University Hospital just before 6:30 p.m. from multiple blunt force injuries.

He was not wearing a helmet.

Police say Blunk was struck by a Ford Taurus around 4:15 p.m. Thursday. According to police, the driver of the Taurus was heading west on Fern Valley Road when it ran a red light and struck the motorcycle.

The woman driving the Taurus was not hurt. LMPD spokesman Dwight Mitchell says the woman told police she came to a stop at the red light, but continued into the intersection after mistakenly thinking that it had turned green.

No charges are expected.

Copyright 2010 WAVE News. All rights reserved.

No charges are expected.

Thats about right!!! why am I not surprised by this..probably related to some one on LMPD

Louisville cops are not biker friendly. I learned this the hard way once. :mad:

Indy State police down here are. They have a regular Harley patrol on I-65 a lot. I should have got tagged on afternoon by SP on HOG, but he grabbed the fool cager tailgating me. We were doing 62 in a 55.

I have forwarded that information to the American Motorcycle Association. They have people working on legislation to insure that anyone who kills a motorcyclist is not let off scot free, but punished according to the details of the incident. They have caused several states to enact such legislation and some successful court cases have been the result.

Please join their organization if you can/will, or at least forward any information like this to their email address.

Find them at ama-cycle.org

Poledar

AMA #221856, 27 years a member

I have forwarded that information to the American Motorcycle Association. They have people working on legislation to insure that anyone who kills a motorcyclist is not let off scot free, but punished according to the details of the incident. They have caused several states to enact such legislation and some successful court cases have been the result.

Please join their organization if you can/will, or at least forward any information like this to their email address.

Poledar

Without causing any tempers to flare. Either way it is a sad situation, buy why would it be more serious if the person killed was on a bike rather than in a car? Negligent homicide is due to someone's negligence, and carries up to one year in jail in this state, motorcycle or not. Only the Lord knows if the accident would have had another ending if the rider was wearing a helmut.....:2cents:

Without causing any tempers to flare. Either way it is a sad situation, buy why would it be more serious if the person killed was on a bike rather than in a car? Negligent homicide is due to someone's negligence, and carries up to one year in jail in this state, motorcycle or not. Only the Lord knows if the accident would have had another ending if the rider was wearing a helmut.....:2cents:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that: I'll take my chances with a Good helmet. The last accident was the one I think done me the most damage and I was in a cage. Belt and bag saved my a**. Twice a belt has saved my life and the pics of my last helmet were on here. The last drunk crossed lanes, hit me head-on and got nothing from it. We can't plan accidents!! Be as prepared as you can.

I have been wondering the same thing. There was a post on here a while back about a biker hitting another biker and I saw no flaming, no morons, just comments that we need to be careful. I gotta' wonder how many on here don't even own a car.

Hey y'all,

I don't necessarily advocate separate and favoring legislation to cover bikers differently than cagers. What I do want to see is equal application of the law as opposed to the lesser application which is often the case now. There are far too many accidents where the biker dies, and the apathy is such that the perpetrator gets off with either a slap on the wrist or less. If there was equal punishment for those who drive a car and kill a biker, I wouldn't need to write this nor would the AMA have to fight for wording in legislation to cover us.

POLEDAR:12101:

I wonder if any one ever counted how many motorcycles hit animals and go down. Va has had two rider/deer contacts since Memorial Day that have resulted in fatalities. How many have been hit and gone down with injuries I have no idea. I do know that my wife and I are two of what I am sure are many more.

I have seen riders and heard of riders who have hit already dead animals laying in the road and gone down. That's not counting the instinctive swerves when something darts out or the dog who wants to bite your tires or leg.

I am a pretty safe rider. I stay away from situations that look funky, my head is always looking around and I always assume the other driver is definitely going to do what I know he couldn't possible do. But I had no defense in coming around a long sweeper at 70 and into a herd of deer standing in the highway. Fortunately I was on the best bike I ever owned and it and I did everything we could to make it and almost did. My wife has a couple more months before she can walk and my back might never be the same but we are still here. My RSV was totaled but it did everything I asked of it and took TWO deer with it.

I bet more of us go down to animals then other drivers, just my thoughts

I wonder if any one ever counted how many motorcycles hit animals and go down. Va has had two rider/deer contacts since Memorial Day that have resulted in fatalities. How many have been hit and gone down with injuries I have no idea. I do know that my wife and I are two of what I am sure are many more.

I have seen riders and heard of riders who have hit already dead animals laying in the road and gone down. That's not counting the instinctive swerves when something darts out or the dog who wants to bite your tires or leg.

I am a pretty safe rider. I stay away from situations that look funky, my head is always looking around and I always assume the other driver is definitely going to do what I know he couldn't possible do. But I had no defense in coming around a long sweeper at 70 and into a herd of deer standing in the highway. Fortunately I was on the best bike I ever owned and it and I did everything we could to make it and almost did. My wife has a couple more months before she can walk and my back might never be the same but we are still here. My RSV was totaled but it did everything I asked of it and took TWO deer with it.

I bet more of us go down to animals then other drivers, just my thoughts

I agree with almost everything you wrote but to compare hitting a DA animal strolling across a roadway is much different than some moron in a cage thinking the light was green when it wasn't and pulling out and killing a biker. Besides animals don't have to take driving tests. Maybe I missed the message in your post but.....

Let me see if I have this correct. We went from a automobile running a red light and hitting a motorcycle and causing the death of the rider to:

-It was the rider fault for not wearing a helmet.

-It was the rider fault for not being prepared.

-It was the rider fault for choosing to ride a motorcycle.

-Accidents happen no matter what.

-We also go down from collision with animals.

-Motorcyclists hit motorcyclists too.

-Cars hit cars and we do not care what happens.

-Etc., etc,.

The above reasons do not apply!!!

I do not know the specifics but I would speculate that she was distracted & did not realized she went through the red light until it was too late.

The fact is that we are riders & and we care because we know the danger we face when we ride. Carelessness from driver lead to much greater injury to riders than other drivers. That is not to say that drivers do not get injured, but that does not justify hitting a rider.

Poledar

Thanks! Man that's a tough deal. But no helmet I'm sorry I never ride without a helmet. Not going to debate it but it might have helped in this case?

Hi, my name is Joann Roth and I am an immediate family member of Tony Blunk. We had his service today and I will gladly fill you in on the details we know. Tony was a Marine, retired from General Electric, a Patriot Guard Rider, A GWRRA member and a Kentuckiana 3 Wheelers member; he was a husband, father, brother and a grandfather. Here is what really happened -

A 32 year old woman ran a red light with several witnesses including a Jefferson Co. police officer. She hit him in the side knocking a very large man off of a three wheeled motorcycle. It is true that Tony had no helmet on; in this case, it made little or no difference.

Here is a time line so you will understand our anger-

We were called by the hospital to tell us he had been involved in an accident.

His wife and I arrived at the hospital and within 20 minutes were told they were trying to actively resuscitate him.

Approximately 30 minutes later the doctors came in to tell us he had died.

The coroner came in to tell us they had to take his body and advise us we shouldn't view it.

We went home and waited for the police to call us and fill us in on what happened. We waited all evening, all night and most of the next day before I called and ask to speak to the investigating officer. I was told he was busy at Hullaballoo and couldn't call me for a day or two. I explained to the lady in a not so lady like manner that wasn't acceptable and I needed to talk to the chief of police. I was put through to his office where I promptly got to leave a message. I was told I would receive a call. Several hours later we were still waiting, flipping from one news story to the other trying to find out what had taken place and what had killed Tony. I called the office of the police chief again, they seemed a little shocked that no one had called me but promised me he would call.

About an hour later the investigating officer called us and told us, the woman left Daymar College, stopped to get a soft drink, stopped at the light, took a drink of her soft drink, set it down and thought the light was green so she went on through. He said he thought the coroner had given us this information.

The investigating officer said she wouldn't be charged because she had done NOTHING NEGLIGENT. He also stated that he couldn't give her a ticket because he hadn't seen her run the red light.

Later he called back and said another officer had seen her run the light and she had been ticketed for it.

Here are our problems.

If she hadn't run the light, he wouldn't have needed a helmet, period. So if you think he should have been wearing one, we agree, does it matter in this case, no, his other injuries would have caused his death anyway. So helmet or no, she killed him.

Second - Why didn't the officer who witnessed the accident tell the investigating officer he saw it happen?

Third - Why did we as a family not deserve the respect of a phone call from the police to tell us what happened?

Fourth - Why were we not told before we heard it on the news that our loved one was not important enough to call us and tell us she was going to be let go scott free?

Fifth - Why didn't they check her cell phone records to see if she was on the phone or texting?

Sixth - Why was no drug test done on her to see if drugs were involved?

So for those of you who want to somehow lay blame on a man, who was obeying the law, doing what he was supposed to be doing and was mowed down by a careless driver, who inflicted enough damage to kill him 2 or 3 times over, that he is somehow to blame because he didn't have a helmet on, would it have mattered? Would it?? No, not one bit, she ran him down, and somehow some of you are sick enough to try and blame him for one single bit of this, just shows you don't have a clue about what you feel so free to go on line and run your mouth about.