Hello all!-

I am a new member yesterday after I bought a 1983 Venture Royale.

I bought this bike yesterday knowing that 2nd gear was out of it, but it seemed to run fine skipping over it when you shifted. Drove it on the trailer, brought it home, unloaded it, went to drive it and it is locked in first gear. The shifter moves upward smoothly to reach the other gears, but nothing happens. Everything is functioning on the outside of the crankcase. The shift rod? that goes thru the crankcase cover turns when the shifter is lifted. Things feel a little rough when you try to depress the shifter, but I haven't forced the shift pedal down thru its full travel. You do feel resistance against the pedal when you try to push it.

I was hoping to get a couple weeks of use from the bike before I attempt the 2nd gear repair over the winter. We must have damaged something driving it on the trailer.

As usual, any input is welcomed and I look forward to talking with you guys in the future.

Thanks everyone,

Jon

Hey Jon,

Did you by chance drive the bike home on the trailer with the bike in first gear? I have seen that beat up first gear more than once on a motorcycle. Are you sure that the clutch lever is disingaging the clutch to allow the gear shift lever to shift to neutral or second gear? Put the bike on the center stand and try rolling the rear tire forward and reverse while trying to shift the bike into first or second gear. Looks like you might be into that tranny a bit sooner than you thought. Keep us posted on what happens,

Earl

Earl-

I'm sure the bike was in 1st gear during transport. The guy I bought it from drove it on the trailer. I just tied it down an headed for home.

I am going to pull the side cover of tonight to see if it dropped a shift pin (fingers crosed).

I'll let you know...

Thanks,

Jon