IGNORED

yet another cruise problem...

I'm new to the venture world but not to the world of motorcycle problems. so here's the story-- the cruise turns "on" and the "set" light turns on but does not maintain a set speed. its like the system "thinks" it is working fine, but its not. I've spent a lot of time searching the forums here for answers to my cruise problem but no luck. everyone suggests the clutch handle----OPS check- OK. then the front brake lever----- OPS check- OK. then the rear brake-----OPS check- OK. I don't get the 'blinking lights' that the service manual mentions-- this indicates that it is NOT a vacuum pump or c/c unit problem. Please help. I'm prepping for a week long tour of the mid-Atlantic and north east US. Cruise would be nice. thanks everyone.

Check the free play in the cruise cable actuator to cable junction box.

I think you have to remove left fairing to do this. May be able to reach it with it on but it will be tight.

There should only be 1/16" inch of total play in the cable. This includes movement of the actuator bellows.

Couple of pictures attached. Adjuster is in center of cable from actuator to cable junction box.

Another thing to also try is to hold the set button down for 3 or 4 seconds before you release it, this gives the actuator time to engage.

Gary

I assume the RESUME light comes on when the cruise unsets?

A worn clutch pivot is a common cause of this problem. Bumps cause the lever to flop - disengaging the cruise.

Thats the thing.... it doesn't "unset" it stays set until the speed drops below 30. then it disengages (like it should). and then yes the resume light comes on.

is the problem that with the cruiseon the bike slows down on its own, slower than if you just let off the throttle, but slowly dropping speed? id look into a vaccume leak if thats the case.

No. it slows down at the same rate as if i had just let off the throttle. i have read in other places (maybe here) that a sticky throttle could lead to problems with the C/C. when i release the throttle it sort of 'sticks' in its position for 3-5 seconds before losing speed [this happens all the time, not just when cruise is engaged] could this be related?

Carefully inspect the CC cutout switch on the clutch lever.

You will see that the Switch mounts " Loosely " there. What I did, was make

a small bracket to hold the switch tightly " in place " and my slowing down problem on my 89 went away.

Also carefull inspect your throttle " Pul Cable " at the left Fwd Carb. If any sign of cable fraying, order a new set of cables. If you do do remove the upper left fairing to work on the " Trottle Cable joint " ( see maint manuel ) or other items to repair the CC problem, good time to Replace All the Throttle cables.

If you bike is over 50K, then a new set of cables is a good idea. You CANNOT replace the cables without removeing the Upper Fairing. Not a nice job to do out on the road.

I think Bald Josh pointed in the right direction. My thoughts are that the throttle junction box has 5 cables... two pull-pull from the throttle grip, two pull-pull to the carb bank and one pull to the vacuum pump. At a certain speed the throttle has opened, pulling on the CC diaphragm. This "speed" is detected by the speedo hall effect sensor and goes as a "frequency" to the cruise control unit (line C)... if the bike starts up hill, the speed (frequency) reduces and the cruise control unit tell the vacuum pump to increase the vacuum (to return to the "remembered frequency"), pulling harder on the 5th throttle cable just as if you had twisted the throttle.

If that vaccum was leaking, the 5th throttle cable would relax more, slowing the bike down, the vacuum pump may still be "trying" to pull enough vacuum to reset the "set frequency" but with the leak, can't do it, so she continues to slow until you hit the bottom acceptable speed and she trips off cruise. Look for a leak.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/cruise1.jpg

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/cruise.jpg

Testing diagram is shown here... http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/cruise/

Doesn't sound like clutch switch, sounds vacuum related.

There is a vacuum hose from the pump in the right fairing to the servo in the left fairing. You can just get to the ends through the turn signal openings I believe. First thing to do is make sure that hose is good.

You can test the hose and servo by hooking a brake bleeder pump to the air pump end of the hose.

I had an issue with my pump. It would run but pull no vacuum. I disassembled it and found that there are two solenoid operated release valves in it. I think one was sticking because after reassembly it worked fine:confused24:.

No. it slows down at the same rate as if i had just let off the throttle. i have read in other places (maybe here) that a sticky throttle could lead to problems with the C/C. when i release the throttle it sort of 'sticks' in its position for 3-5 seconds before losing speed [this happens all the time, not just when cruise is engaged] could this be related?

if the throttle doesnt let off for 3-5 seconds with the cruise off then it sounds like two different problems. 1-the throttle should let off right away and 2-the cruise is not working at all. doesnt sound like the cruise makes any difference , just the lights come on but nothing more.

id check the hose between motor and diaphragm first, maybe its not even connected

then see if the motor runs to create vacuume, hook up a vac guage to see if it will run under pressure and how much it will build

then check the diaghragm to see if it will hold vacuume.

just thought of something...maybe a stupid idea but if a person could remotely turn on the vac pump through the wire harness then at idle you should be able to raise the rpms of the bike. then disconnect the power to pump and it should hold those rpms at least for a while???? think i might try it on mine!

wuld be kinda cool if it works, and maybe an easy way to test the whole system for a leak or etc.

well first off i would like to thank every one that threw out ideas regarding this issue. the cruise seems to be a real problem on many bikes. long story short: last time it was appart (time unknown) it was put back together the wrong way. the inside the throttle cable junction box there is a rotating fixture that controls the vaccume diaphram and the cable that goes to the daphram from that fixture was put in wrong. it was 180 degreese from where it should have been. thanks again. Now I can "cruise" in comfort.

Yep those second and third owners often find little "repairs" that have to now be done "correctly". I got my 86 from long distance, the PO said all maintenance was routinely done and everything worked fine. Rather than say he lied, let's just say his routine maintenance involved viewing from a distance... But... what he DID touch, he either buggered the heads of the bolts or wrapped the spliced wires together and tucked them away... electrical tape, solder and/or shrink tubing must be outside his expertise. The clutch and brake fluids were black, the oil was even black, most of the radio buttons were corroded and the cruise was inop... found it was unplugged... then found it needed soldered inside ("error #4"). It was the buggered clutch slave bolts that caused all of the REAL problems, they are REALLY recessed in tight quarters... Sears damaged bolt extractor made fast work of it once I found them.

Took a while before I was comfortable going beyond the block. But I sure got to "explore" lots of areas of that bike I didn't plan on at the time... but it's paid off nicely.