IGNORED

Help On Oil Change

OutlawRider

Help, I changed the oil and used a ST7317 filter a little longer. The question is where in the sight glass do you fill it to? The top line or the middle between the two. Heading out to the beach this morning about a 400 mile ride and do no want to run it too low. I am just above the middle between the lines at 3 qts. The book calls for 3.9 with stock filter change. I started it and then let it set for about 4 minutes before I checked it. I put 3.5 qts in and there was not even a air bubble in the window so I sucked some out. Do I fill it to the top line? Thanks for you help. I,ll go check the tire while I wait for a reply.

If you are half way up the glass when the bike is held vertically, you are good to go. Filling it to the top line will cause overflow and will make a mess.

Sounds like you did it right the first time. Have a great ride to the beach. Going up to Indiana Dunes or further north? Is Redamak's (gourmet hamburger joint) still up in New Buffalo?

RR

Edited by RedRider

Anywhere between the two marks is fine. I generally target the top mark, just like I do on a car dipstick.

A few people here swear you cannot go over mid way, but that just ain't true on the two RSVs I have owned and several others I work on regularly. Just make sure there is some bubble available in the sight glass and all is good.

Goose

If I get my oil level above the center of the glass, it belches out the overflow tubes under the bike. I put just a little too much in the last oil change and the glass was about 3/4 full and it has been dripping out when I stop the bike. The good news is that is almost down to 1/2 now.

:farmer:

Thanks RedRider I do not know about the hamburger joint,we are in oregon. So we are off thanks again for the help. I was pretty sure but just did not want to take a chance, better to ask.

OK, I need to look a little closer. I saw Columbia City and assumed CC, Indiana (near Fort Wayne - NE corner of Indiana).

Columbia City, OR - you get to go to the BIG beach.

Have fun.

RR

Guest tx2sturgis
If I get my oil level above the center of the glass, it belches out the overflow tubes under the bike. I put just a little too much in the last oil change and the glass was about 3/4 full and it has been dripping out when I stop the bike. The good news is that is almost down to 1/2 now.

:farmer:

Are you checking it with the bike on the sidestand? Or held up vertically?

I am holding the bike straight up. I made a block that goes under the kickstand and holds it straight up. works great, have to watch it because it can tip to the right very easy. RedRider yes I am in oregon and about 1hr and 15 minutes from astoria that is the northern part of the Oregon coast and than run 101 along the coast, makes for a great day. I am just out of Portland,Or about 31 miles NW. We had a great ride and the bike is running great.