IGNORED

Here's one I bet is new to most

Mikealiasmike

Took wife down to river to fish on bike. First off the road leading down to parking area had deep ruts and washout area that would've love to have grabbed my tires, anybody who has lived near a state park knows what I mean. We finagal (sp) our way down to the lot and it looks pretty good for having been flooded a week or so ago so I start to position bike with trailer (had to carry poles, tackle box, cooler etc...) in a position that would be easy to pull right out. lo and behold rear tire drops down 3 inches. Now I mean like right now. Heck, wife stands all of 5'3" and she was flat footed while I appraised the problem and she held up the bike. Appears the sand on top was dry but underneath was like quicksand. It buried my 800 lb plus bike in a second. Detached the trailer to reduce weight on the rear axel and it was'nt gonna move. Luckily 2 guys showed up looking for a beer I think and pulled me backwards out of the mess. If they hadn't came along I wouldve been there till the sand dried or son-in-law came to get us. I've riden dirt bikes many times and pulled them out but none were as bad as this oversized paper weight. And that was my day. Oh yea, then the wife beat me catching fish. I think I need more beer. God Bless. mike

Yup, that's a new one on me - never heard about fishing on bike!

Goose

It's a new sport here in Iowa cause we really have nothing else to offer but miles and miles of corn and soy beans :stickinouttounge: and yes, we were lucky those guys showed up. Could have made for a really miserable day. :thumbsup:

Good thing you had "payroll checkbook" along:thumbsup2:

Happened to me right after I took this pic.:no-no-no:

Luckily, I had a slight downhill, and was able to power out of it.

Left a nice deep cut through their beach lot though.:scratchchin:

Later, Scooter Bob

A little tip as to when you find yourself in that situation. Look around for some loose gravel and dry tree bark or small twigs. Mix them together and spread it under the tires and make a trail to firm ground. It has worked for me a few times to give traction to get out of those situations.

I've been fishing several years ago. Hooked up the BEERCART. It's 3 flag pole holders also hold 3 rods. Wife and went to Bogue Pier. No need to get into the sandy beach as it's pavement all the way.

BEER30

Guest tx2sturgis

Several years ago I got my Electraglide UltraClassic stuck in some soft mud.

I had parked on some grass at a friends house where my old motorhome was parked. That nite it rained all nite while I was sleeping. The next day I was due to attend a charity ride.

I got up, got ready, and waved my friend off as he drove off, headed to church. I started the bike, but I was aimed opposite of the way off of the property, so I had to make a U-turn in the wet, soft grassy surface. I could see it was wet but assumed it would be OK.

I started my forward movement and felt that unmistakeable slip-slide back and forth, and the rear wheel was digging a trench as I tried to make that U-turn. There was a tree in my now extended exit path so I had to turn pretty sharp to the left to clear it. I was feathering the throttle and the clutch, and using my feet to keep the bike upright as I worked it around the sharp left turn, but barley moving now. As I got closer to the tree and softer mud the bike began to REALLY dig in to the soft surface and I came to a noisy and mud-slinging STOP.

I shut it off, got off the bike and it stood right where it was, no kickstand needed. The bottom frame was touching the ground, the bars were turned full left, and the rear of the bike was buried to the bottom of the saddelbags!

Frustrated and with no-one around to help, since it was a Sunday morning, I called a tow truck service, knowing they had a winch on most tow trucks.

I explained my situation and they chuckled but said they'd send a truck right over.

Fifteen minutes later the roll-back truck showed up with two strong looking guys, and they jumped out and after looking it over, suggested they could just lift it out of the mud. I told them hey, it weighs around 800 pounds, its stuck and that wont work.

Well they said lets try, and I humored them. They bent over, grabbed the bike by the saddelbag rails and the handlebars, one on each side, and proceeded to apply upward force. You guessed it, they simply sunk their boots into the mud, up to their ankles, and the bike didnt move.

Duh.

I said, now...lets try the winch, as I requested. They agreed. They backed the truck to within about 50 feet of the bike and we hooked up a nylon strap to the highway bars. After reeling out the winch cable we hooked it to the strap. I straddled the bike, snicked it into neutral, and when I was ready, they began reeling in the winch cable, slowly pulling the bike out of the muck. It was tough balancing the bike, since my boots had very little traction, but I was able to forcefully hold the bike upright.

The swampy surface gradually released its slimy grip on the bike and it was slowly pulled up on higher, dryer ground.

SUCCESS!

We unhooked the bike, and I asked them what I owed, assuming that with 2 men, an expensive roll-back truck and a wench, this was gonna be pricey, after all, they had me over a barrel so to speak.

The charge? Sixty bucks! Very reasonable...granted, it only took about 15 minutes of time, but this was a Sunday morning, TWO men, and a truck. I would have paid twice that, had they asked. I gave the guy $80 and said thanks..

They left, apparently pleased to have been of some use, considering its not the normal type of call for a wrecker.

I rinsed the bike off with the nearby garden hose, and arrived 10 minutes later at the charity ride, none the worse for wear.

So yeah...some of use HAVE had the feeling that today is the day for a dirtbike, NOT a streetbike!

Edited by tx2sturgis