IGNORED

Drive Pumpkin is Cooked

While removing my rear wheel to have a new tire put on, I decided to lube the drive shaft end that goes into the pumpkin. I have lubed the shaft end that went into the U-joint, but was never able to get the shaft out of the pumpkin end.

The oil seal was stuck. I slide a mechanics pick around the oil seal and it came right out.

However, I noticed the pinion was really loose. I could move it around - axially - by an 1/8 inch or so. Not good. Showed it to the mechanic at the local dealer and he agreed the nose bearing is likely shot.

I typically replace the rear drive fluid every time I change the oil. The last several changes I noticed a good sized ball of shavings on the magnetic plug. Now I know where these shavings are coming from.

Took the rear drive apart and the pinion nose bearing is shot. Unfortunately, the outer race is worn down so far there is not a shoulder to press against to remove it. Heated the race hosing with a butane torch and it tried to move it, but no go. The inner race on the pinion nose looks frosted (micro tearing of the metal, soon leading to full spalling).

OK, bottom line - I need a rear pumpkin. Anyone have one available they would like to sell?

Guess the KLR is going to see some additional miles over the next few weeks.

RR

I have one listed,in classifieds, that had 250 miles on it when it was removed,when mine was triked

• 1 month later...
Right at 85,000 miles. I've been changing the rear end oil almost every oil change (~4000 miles) and have been noticing extra shavings showing up on the plug for about a year. I finally inspected it a little closer and saw it was time to retire the old rear end before it left me stranded in the middle of North Dakota, or Utah, or Labrador, or .....

I'm itching to ride.

RR

If you have been changing the rear oil while on the side stand. Then you have been underfilling it every time. Lucky it went this far. Bike must be upright when the oil change is done. A friend is a big help here.

If you have been changing the rear oil while on the side stand. Then you have been under filling it every time. Lucky it went this far. Bike must be upright when the oil change is done. A friend is a big help here.

Or put it up on a jack using my lift adapter. Perfectly level then.

Larry

Shameles plug