IGNORED

Dumb question about HD TV

SilvrT

I read through a few threads but couldn't come up with the specific answer although I'm pretty sure what the answer is, just need someone to verify my thoughts.

HD TV .... does not need HD cable feed for TV...can use standard "cable TV" ... correct?

'nuther question... when viewing standard cable TV feed, is the clarity of the picture as good as or less than that of a non HD TV?

To view HD you must have HD Tv plus a subscription to either cable or satellite. They will install an HD connection box. Yes it is VERY Clear over standard TV....I think I answered this correct..anyway we have guys here that can explain better than I.

Right - You can get standard def with standard TV cable. To get the HD on your TV you need an HD source. You can use a standard antenna and get local stuff for free (assuming there is some local) else you need HD cable or satellite. Usually an extra $10 or so a month. You can also get a HD DVD (or Blue-ray) player to watch / rent HD movies.

You can definitely view standard broadcast with HDTV if you do not have the HD box. Not all your channels are HD so they have to be able to receive and display the signal. As for the second part, I think that the standard digital signal is poorer quality on HD. Comcast and probably anyone else, broadcasts many channels in HD and standard. For some reason there are times when we cannot view the HD. When we flip over to the standard it looks pretty crappy. But maybe that's just because we are spoiled watching the HD.

Thanks for verifying my own "thoughts" about this. I have also discovered that having an HD "box" will improve the quality of non-HD channels because the box can convert the analog feed into digital signal which the HDTV works best on.

Usually an extra $10 or so a month.

HA!!!... not around here. $488 for a basic HD "box" plus additional $29.95/month for basic HD TV channels and for about $40/month, I can get the whole enchalada (all available HD channels)! And, I believe this is ON TOP of what you already pay for regular cable TV.

Around here, dishnetwork.com will install it free for up to 4 rooms. That includes a DVR and etc. Are they not available in Canada?

As for satellite TV, we have 2 legally authorized providers (I believe this is still correct). StarChoice & ExpressVue. Unfortunately, Canada isn't as "open" as the USA.

Anyone can correct me on this if I'm out of date.

Cable TV providers is as bad. I may be wrong but I believe there are only 2 providers in this area and 1 of them only services certain locations.

dishnetwork.com ... Are they not available in Canada?

Canada doesn't appear on their list of international packages. I'm pretty certain the CRTC (Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission) is controlling this. From my perspective, it limits the amount of competition and such things that are government controlled this way are but one of the reason's many things in Canada cost more. But, now we're into politics and we don't want to go there....so, let's not! :D

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in DISH Network hardware and programming offers. Regretfully, we do not broadcast our programming services to anyone residing outside of the United States (excluding its territories and possessions) at this time.

We thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to http://www.dishnework.com or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Jenny C.

TID: OR-Chrysler

DISH Network eCare

You will also need HDMI cables and the prices at retail outlets stunned me. When you go looking for HDMI cables try this link, the cables here are a fraction of what you will find anywhere else.

www.mycablemart.com

Very good point Gunny - The big box stores make much of their profit on the cables rather than the actual sets. High priced cables aren't necessary for HDTV - In fact they're less necessary than for standard than for HD. Since the signal is digital it isn't prone to degrading signals as much - as long as the 1's and 0's get there, the signal is perfect. A couple other places to check, renowned for good prices:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

http://www.monoprice.com/products/department.asp?c_id=102

I did see a difference in picture using the coax cable and the HDMI connections. What I couldn't get over was the sales rep at best buy trying to sell me the 6ft $80 cable, I bought 2 identical cables with 1 day shipping for $32 from the web site I mentioned. The cables were $7 each and the rest shipping.