IGNORED

Not Whine or Howl but CHIRPING

I read all the info in these threads but I think my noise is different. I would discribe it as a bird chirping. It is engine related as it only makes the noise at cruise speed in any gear. Most noticably in 4th and 5th with little load on the engine. As soon as you give it some gas, it stops, and if you clutch, it stops. It started around 400 mile and has become louder to now at 1400 miles.

I had the shop look for hose / vacuum leaks, but nothing showed up.

Does this make any sence to anyone ? It also drives me nuts.

2009 RSTD

Ran the fatory oil to 600 miles, then change oil to 20/50 synthetic V-Twin Mobil 1

Didn't make any difference.

Gary

What Freebird said. I've got a 2005 RSTD that I bought last year with about 15k miles on it. It had the chirp as well. I've put about 4k miles on it since I got it and the chirp had either gotten worse or else I'd noticed it more. So, I took it to the dealer and they replaced the clutch basket with an "I" version and I'm quite satisfied with the results. I'd say the chirp has been reduced by at least 80% if not more. I still notice some in certain RPM ranges (not sure just where since I don't have a tach), like 30mph in 3rd & 40 in 4th. Most important to me is that since I do most of my riding at 60mph indicated, it's no longer audible to me at that speed.

The dealer replaced the clutch basket for me at no charge, as I'm still under warranty.

Just for kicks, I'm about due for an oil change so will try the Rotella T6 with some Motorkote to see if I can reduce/eliminate the little bit that remains.

Don nails it - clutch basket. And yes it can drive a man nuts. Can even be embarrassing. But don't get disgusted yet. I did the I basket change (07 RSV). For a time it seemed to be fixed, but then returned. However, not nearly as loud and at a different RPM (3rd gear around 35 -40). Run synthetic oil. Have tried 5 -40 and 1040. Not sure weight mattered. Members have used several different brands. Then added motorkote. Hmm. Some swear by it and others feel no help. Well I still hear the chirp from time to time but not annoying. And I can hear my stock pipes unlike I could ever hear them before. A year ago I was ready to let her go (shortly after I purchased) but today I must say I love this bike. Most recently added a bit of motorkote to the final drive. A little tweaking here and a little tweaking there. Just keeps getting better. I don't think you can get rid of the chirp all together, but I rarely ever notice it today. Just read the post and keep tweaking. Dealer should change basket under warranty without any problems. Let us know how you come out.

2009 RSTD

Ran the fatory oil to 600 miles, then change oil to 20/50 synthetic V-Twin Mobil 1

Didn't make any difference.

Gary

Not that it will probably make any difference with the chirp, but Mobil 1 20/50 is designed for air cooled twins, being a liquid cooled 4 you should use the 10/40 version.

I've got a new 08 RSTD. Mine has a bit of a "chirp" sound, but I don't think it's the clutch? The chirp just goes with engine rpm whether the clutch is engaged or not. It's not all that loud at this point, but it's noticable.

My dealer told me the "I" basket wouldn't help be cuse it was due to the square cut gears...

Not the square cut gears so much as the tolerance between the gear teeth. If it were the square cut gears every single Venture would have the problem and changing the basket wouldn't help on any of them.

Edited by gibvel

My dealer told me the "I" basket wouldn't help be cuse it was due to the square cut gears...

The "I" basket sure did help my 2006 and many others on this forum.

I think that either your dealer or the factory rep istrying to get you to just be quiet about it.

The Yamaha Canada factory folks drug their feet for 6 months or so before I finally got my "I" basket. My dealer was on my side but they did everything they could to not deal with it. I even got one email from a factory rep stating that, "Noise is subjective. Some motorcyclists even modify their machines to make more noise. There is nothing wrong with your motorcycle." (Like anyone would add gear whine on purpose!)

I suggest that you don't take "no" for an answer. Many have reported success by opening this forum for the dealer and having him look through the many posts about this.

Good Luck!

Guest tx2sturgis
Kinda makes you feel like you just married the family whore and no one told you till now.

:rotf:

Nuff said.