IGNORED

Solo Conversion

I think it came out pretty good. I am trying to figure out how to post the pic. I think they are attached if not I will put them in my gallary.

It only takes about 15 minutes to take it down once you have the cover for the back made. I made mine out of fiberglass and covered with the same material as the seat. It could be painted to match the bike but it would have to be much smoother ie more time to build. All of the wires involved have plugs and will fit under the cover I made. There are only about 10 bolts or so involved and all are accessable without taking off the side bags. I think that it is a very good option for soloing the bike. I makes the bike feel entirely different and look different it is a nice change. When I get my hidden antenna for the radio it will be an even faster change out. I made a temp bracket for it out of a piece of stainless angle that works pretty good. The cover that is shown in the picture is can not hold the weight of a rider because it is to thin but the next one that I build will. With this one I was just trying to work out the bugs.

My next cover will have the foam like they put under the soft tops on cars on it before the seat material. And I am thinking of putting lights or a light in the back of it also.

http://www.venturers.org/Forum/images/smilies/action-smiley-083.gif

The cool thing about this mod is that you don't have to modifiy the bike so you can go back to original very quickly. The only thing that you have to do to the bike is remove part of the little foam rubber pads that are on the fender to cushion the wires on the bike I just removed the entire pad and I plan on repositioning it when I go back to touring.. My plan is to video taking it down to Solo and then going back to Touring. I should have that done in about a few weeks. One thing I am waiting for it my hidden radio antenna that I have ordered from Ebay. Since I never use the CB my plan is to remove that antenna. As soon as my hidden antenna comes in and I get it installed I will be making the videos and I will post them here and probably on Utube.

:confused07:

Edited by fxitdude

:thumbsup:

I like it! Thought of doing something like it since the wife doesn't ride.

As for the antenna, I removed both of mine since I don't use the CB either and used a cheap after market from Auto Zone worm clamped a ground to it and zip tied it to the frame structure under the fairing.

Good looking ride, thanks for the post!

I will be putting the tour pack back on tonight getting ready to ride with the wife on the 4th of July weekend. Happy 4th to all.

How quick of an on / off is the trunk on the conversion?

Great looking project!

Once you have a cover made for the wires. The cover bolts on just like the back seat. The one thing that take up the most time is moving the radio antenna. I am getting a hidden antenna to go in the front faring so I won't have to deal with it. I don't ever use the CB so that antenna is going away.

I am going to be making me another cover with a little different shape and some lights in the back of it in the next few weeks if you would like to buy the one I am using now let me know. I am thinking maybe $100.00. If you would like to see how the next one comes out I will post the pictures here. If you have an idea for how you would like one shaped I can make you one.:thumbsup2:

Tell us more of the hidden antenna? Though I "rarely" use the CB on mine, I'm not sure if I would part with it.. but if a hidden antenna gives great reception / range, I may consider it..

Tres cool

Im assuming he's referring to a hidden amplified AM/FM antenna, not a CB antenna.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Antenna-Motorcycle-Applications-Windshield/dp/B001QYSXAS]Amazon.com: Hidden Antenna - Fits Car, Truck, Motorcycle, Harley…@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415bLkbYboL.@@AMEPARAM@@415bLkbYboL[/ame]

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415bLkbYboL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Im assuming he's referring to a hidden amplified AM/FM antenna, not a CB antenna.

Amazon.com: Hidden Antenna - Fits Car, Truck, Motorcycle, Harley…

I guess THAT would be it.. unfortunately currently unavailable at this source.. Hmm Interesting..

However found another source, bought two of them for me and a spare.. $25 each.. kewl

Cheers

Edited by Seaking

If any of you folks are getting rid of cb antenna let me know I'm in the market for one. let me know what you need for it. Also I'm interested in replacing my dual antenna setup to stubbys or a single one, you get the stuff and make it up so all do is I put it on is the kind of deal I need. Send me price and I'll get back to ya. One thing I can't do is solder at all.

Guest RichG

That looks great!!!

As soon as I got mine I thought about doing that to it. I would be very interested in seeing the video of the change.

Rich

I went back to the tour pack and it took about 30 minute that danged antenna is a pain in the buttocks. I spent at least 15 minute taking it apart and rerouting the wire and fastening it to the rack. I took me a little longer on the rest of the job because I had taken all of the rest of the wires out from on top of the fender and hidden them under the seat while I was working on building the solo cover so I had to redo them.

Well I won't get to work on it for a while we are heading to Fredricksburg TX. this Thursday afternoon if the hurricane in the gulf doesn't change our mind. They are saying that it will be in Oklahoma by Thursday so we are hoping we can slip in behind it and have a little ride while it is still cool. :big-grin-emoticon:

I went back to the tour pack and it took about 30 minute that danged antenna is a pain in the buttocks. I spent at least 15 minute taking it apart and rerouting the wire and fastening it to the rack. I took me a little longer on the rest of the job because I had taken all of the rest of the wires out from on top of the fender and hidden them under the seat while I was working on building the solo cover so I had to redo them.

Well I won't get to work on it for a while we are heading to Fredricksburg TX. this Thursday afternoon if the hurricane in the gulf doesn't change our mind. They are saying that it will be in Oklahoma by Thursday so we are hoping we can slip in behind it and have a little ride while it is still cool.

Try the $25 "Hidden Antenna" so you can forget the rear antenna all together?? Its an option you should look at.. Hmmmmmm

Currently riding with a 4 inch windscreen on the bike.. Saves on fuel mileage..

Guest RichG
When it stops raining I'll get ya some photos.. might have a cute lass on the bike as well.. why not eh?

A cute lass always makes it look better.

I want to put a very short windscreen on my bike. I did not know there was a 4" screen.

I came off a cruiser to the Venture. It had a very small wind screen so I had plenty of air around me. The air behind the Venture screen is almost dead. I have to sit up very straight to even get a whiff of air around my helmet.

Love the look of your solo seat too, fxitdude, doing mine now made a temp bracket for radio antenna,looking for a pass. Seat pan to make a rack type cover for all the brackets on the rear fender other wise you could put all the wires in battery box. I also cut down the stock windshield and am painting it black now. Will try and get some pictuires of it so far.