Limits current and gives the proper voltage level to the sensor. It is looking for around 6 to 8 volts, not 12 volts. Supposedly some people have had their CMI go up in smoke from 12V direct...

Yes...6-8 volts is the truth. I put a 6.5volt zener diode in at the accessory terminal to the sensor wire. Did the trick. But even with 30 years on electronics. I accidently put the zener in backwards the 1st time....and poof goes the board. Same as no resistance ...ouch. Lucky I found a replacement cheap.

• 1 month later...

What is the value of the resistor that is already inline from the factory? I could go out and take the cover off my bike, but I'm feeling a bit lazy.

Bill

Ok, I went out and looked. It's a 680 Ohm resistor. Mine tested out as 685 Ohm's, which well below the +/- 5% tolerance.

My battery tested out with 12.22 volts and 4.08 volts at the probe. This is all with the lead acid battery in stock setup by the way.

Edited by a1bummer

What is the value of the resistor that is already inline from the factory? I could go out and take the cover off my bike, but I'm feeling a bit lazy.

Bill

Ok, I went out and looked. It's a 680 Ohm resistor. Mine tested out as 685 Ohm's, which well below the +/- 5% tolerance.

My battery tested out with 12.22 volts and 4.08 volts at the probe. This is all with the lead acid battery in stock setup by the way.

But also consider that the probe is in one of the two center cells, so it only is reading 3 or 4 cells of voltage. It is not seeing the full potential of all cells in series.

Gary