IGNORED

Help - What is this?

While wiring in the isolator circuit for my trailer wiring harness, I came across this rubber hose.... it's to the right (throttle side) of the battery, up against the inside of the frame. The one end can be pulled out to expose a small hole (as seen in the second photo). It looks like the other end attaches to the housing around the rear shock. I'm sure one -- or many -- of the experts here can educate me as to what this is?

Thanks, in adavance.

Looks like a vent line to me. I am not at the shop to look ( I have mine apart ), but it doesn't go to the rear shock, I took mine out the other night, and only the air line on it. Maybe the battery box drain...

That IS the vent hose for the factory shock.

2 votes for battery vent line,

1 vote for shock vent hose.

Either way, it appears that the top end (the one i'm holding upwards in the 2nd picture) should not be attached to anything? I was concerned that I might have dislodged it while moving wires around. I just want to be sure everything is back the way it was before I started.

Guest tx2sturgis
So the top end (the one i'm holding upwards in the 2nd picture) should not be attached to anything?

Its a vent hose, and yep, its simply folded over and provides atmospheric equalization to the shock...and on my old one it leaked oil when turned sideways. The new one didnt do that, so I assume is not vented directly to the inside oil chamber...but I could be wrong.

Anyway...its supposed to be there, and not connected to anything. You're OK.

Guest tx2sturgis

Battery vent lines do NOT vent up high on the frame. If they did, and the battery puked acid, such as when overcharging or during a tipover, it would damage things. The battery vent hoses, when they are present on any motorcycle, always terminate UNDER the frame, where the acid and gases wont damage the bike.

Anyway...its supposed to be there, and not connected to anything. You're OK.

Thanks, Brian, that's exactly what I was looking for and your posting the picture was especially helpful.

Now it's back to work on the trailer wiring. The trailer is in the shop now, getting a vinyl wrap to match the color of my RSV. Pictures of that to come once I have it back and get the new LED lights installed. Only 18 days left until my trip from southeastern PA to Yellowstone National Park via Mt. Rushmore and Billings, MT.

Looks like a vent line to me. I am not at the shop to look ( I have mine apart ), but it doesn't go to the rear shock, I took mine out the other night, and only the air line on it. Maybe the battery box drain...

Yamaha added the vent hose to the shock in 2005.

Guest tx2sturgis
Thanks, Brian, that's exactly what I was looking for and your posting the picture was especially helpful.

You're entirely welcome.

Now it's back to work on the trailer wiring. The trailer is in the shop now, getting a vinyl wrap to match the color of my RSV. Pictures of that to come once I have it back and get the new LED lights installed. Only 18 days left until my trip from southeastern PA to Yellowstone National Park via Mt. Rushmore and Billings, MT.

Now I have a question:

How much does a custom wrap cost for that trailer, and what size/kind of trailer is it?

Now I have a question:

How much does a custom wrap cost for that trailer, and what size/kind of trailer is it?

I picked up an older-model Kompact Kamp trailer second hand from a retiring rider. They don't make my exact model anymore, but have plenty of models online here.

My trailer is a bit over 10 cu.ft. (30"W x 34"L x 17"H). I'm having a rather simple wrap done: one solid color to coordinate with my '06 Black Cherry RSV (he has one of my side covers for color matching) with the Yamaha Star logo, sample pic attached, about 10" round centered on the top of the trailer. He quoted me $500 for the job since the solid color is a relatively uncomplicated installation -- it's not like they need to match up stripes or lettering. Also, I removed all of the hardware and pre-cut the holes for the new LED lights I'll install. They will just wrap over the light holes and then trace the edge with a razor knife, saving them time on cut-outs on the vinyl. Fortunately, I've come to find out that the owner's brother is a police officer in my town. Add that to my Blue Knights membership and I'm only paying $400. For that price it was a no-brainer choice over custom matched paint (the lowest estimate I got for that was $600 for just one solid color).

I'll be sure to post a thread to display the trailer once I get it back and put in the LED lights. This weekend I'll be trying out some Krylon Fusion for Plastic spray paint on the cooler I plan to use. A buddy painted some plastic furniture with this paint with great success, so I'm hoping the cooler turns out ok. Stay tuned....