IGNORED

Beware of Dishonest parts people at Sharps Motorsports in Amarillo, TX

LilBeaver

Caution: :rant::rant::rant::rant:

I'm pretty honked at this dealership and they know it, the several customers that were in the store knew it and the manager didn't really seem to care.

After finalizing the checks on my bike before my upcoming trip, I saw that my front tire had gotten MUCH worse than it was - cracking in tread has grown significantly, etc. So in the interest of saftey, I figure it is probably best to put a new tire on before I go. Which is unfortunate because a few weeks ago when I had made arrangements for my Rear tire to get replaced the front one looked just fine - about half worn (based on measurements) and no cracking.

So with all of the dealers in Lubbock being closed on Monday I called around and found the next closest that claimed they had 3 Dunlop E 3s in stock in the appropriate size for my bike (all of this so that I can have it mounted and be on the road tomorrow or Wednesday). I called first to check to see if they had one and then a second time to verify and buy it. Business concluded on the phone and I was out the door.

2 hour drive later (135 miles one way) arrived at the dealership and pumped to pick up my tire so that I can be on the road in a few days sort of as planned. Went up to the parts counter and asked to pick up my tire and they asked what I was looking for. The guy went back to the back and came back with a meltzer in hand (which I believe was not even the correct size) and said that is all they had. I inquired a little further as to what I had discussed on the phone and what happened to the 3 E3s that they told me they had ON HAND and the ONE that I bought (or so I thought) and the guy shrugged and said that he didn't know.

Coincidentally (very sarcastically stated) the price of the meltzer was the same as what I was quoted for the E3. When questioning further he looked up what E3s they had on hand and the answer was NONE. They didn't have a single E3 ON HAND, they had some on order, but none ON HAND. And this doofus verified it by telling me that the meltzer was just as good as any other tire, blah blah blah.

At this point I am so honked that I don't ever care about the tire so much as the principle here. I spent 4 hours in the car, drove 270 miles round trip, all based on this salesman that told me TWICE (two separate phone calls) that he walked back and put his hands on the tire that he sold me. All to get up there and find out otherwise.

Now, I am a very calm and patient person, I did not raise my voice at all - I spoke sternly when we started going back and forth, but I am a firm believer that yelling at someone gets you no where in a hurry so I almost always maintain my composure and deal in a rational, logical and considerate fashion. A few minutes into this ordeal a guy that introduced himself as the parts manager asked what was going on (while doofus # 1 was back looking for my tire) and I explained the situation to him. When doofus #1 came back, the manager looked at the doofus and just walked away. No comment to anyone, nothing further to me, not a thing.

At this point there were a few other folks that were waiting around the parts counter and no doubt hearing everything that is transpiring. I give a quick call to my CC company to see if the dealership charged me for the tire and the answer was 'no', upon that I requested that nothing be approved from that dealership and that if anything fishy starts happening with that card to cancel it immediately (also gave the name and number of the parts guy at the dealership that took my CC info).

After I hung up with the CC company the parts guy asked if I 'still wanted' the Meltzer. At this point I asked if he had listened to any part of the conversation (that WAS a two-way conversation) that him and I had just had and said you will not be getting my business, now or ever again and walked away. The other few people that were waiting at the parts counter followed me out the door and also left in/on their respective vehicles.

What a rip. 270 miles and 4 hours, down the drain - all because of what: 1) Sleezy sales practices 2) Negligence or 3) incompetence 4) honest mistake (multiple times in a row)? And what can I do - nothing but pi$$ and moan. I'm out vehicle/travel expense, still don't have a freaking tire, and now am probably going to be another day or two late to Nelson. I guess a lot of this is my own dumb fault anyways.

I guess that is what I get for getting my hopes up, not having a spare tire laying around, or trusting that voice on the phone.

Maybe you folks in Amarillo have had good experiences there, maybe not. I don't know. Just figured I would get the word out to those that may trust these folks the same way I did.

Thanks for listening. I'll go sit in my corner now.

I'm afraid I might have really gone off the deep end over that one! :mad:

What else could they do though? I'm not going to get a check for my travel expense and time and I sure as heck will not be giving them any of my business again.

So, oh well. It is done and over. Hopefully no one else gets 'had' by this guy (or the rest of the dealership if they are all like that).

Unfortunately this happens too many times in the US and we wonder why we can't compete with other countries. This dealer probably complains every day about business being off. Some people just don't get it.

Unfortunately this happens too many times in the US and we wonder why we can't compete with other countries. This dealer probably complains every day about business being off. Some people just don't get it.

Unfortunately, it sounds like service is crap almost everywhere that deals with cars and bikes. It seems like there is always someone out there to rip you off of your hard earned money, and then they complain of work being slow.

If you catch them in a lie they deny it; if you tell them you're being taken, they will deny that too and make excuses.

If you can find good and honest service, pay the extra that they may charge and recommend them to everyone.

We seem to always hear a lot about the horror stories and rip-offs that we should avoid and hear less about the recommended good places. In this forum I think it is pretty well balanced. :think:

Guest tx2sturgis

Rick:

I wish that you would have sent me an email here so I could fill you in on Sharps. I KNOW they dont carry the E3 because I have asked them to...they wont. Too few bikes can use the pricey Dunlop E3 in our size, so they dont stock them. They dont want to see expensive tires sit on the shelf for 6 months or a year. I can tell you that a good place to have tires installed and other minor repairs ( oil changes, plugs, filters, tires, adjustments, bulbs, brakes, etc.) done to bikes in the Amarillo area is A&M Cycles on the south end of Amarillo. Now they dont stock the E3 either, but he orders them from Dallas, and can have it on hand in a day or 2 after you order it. I have bought 2 or 3 from him, had them in 1 or 2 days, and installed in an hour. These guys let you watch, or even help if need be, while they work on your bike. Now thats 'old school', and I love it.

They are a couple of good 'ol boys (Kevin and Jim) that actually give a damn about doing things right. Its just a small shop that works hard to keep customers happy. They dont do major repairs while you wait, but will usually stop what they are doing and take another bike off a lift to get your bike fixed and on the road again. By the way, A means American, and M means Metric...they work on both. I have no affiliation with the shop other than as a customer...and OK...I know Jim from a local watering hole. :innocent:

They are in the business park south of Dulaneys on I-27. You CANNOT see the front of the shop from the highway, you have to know where its located. Coming back south on I-27, take the Hillside Exit. Stay on the frontage road for..I dunno...maybe a half mile..look for the Dulaneys Salvage yard...keep going south about another 1/4 mile or so, then look for the orange/brown building and sign that says Business Park. Turn in there, and you will see them...its actually the SECOND building on the left as you turn in...not the first building. I included a google screen shot to kindve give you an idea of what yer looking for. Coincidentally, in the google image, a bike is entering the shops driveway. Coulda been me!

Sharps has a reputation for shoddy customer service. But, I keep the relations between me and them as good as I can, since they may have to save my ass someday.

A & M Cycles

806-353-7670

6652 Canyon Dr # 8

Amarillo, TX 79109

Edited by tx2sturgis

Rick,

That is pretty much the way they treat everyone who doesn't ride a crotch rocket or a dirt bike. Also, it isn't just the parts counter, it is the dealership. Thanks to Tx for the tip on where to get tires mounted etc.

Guest tx2sturgis

By the way...last year I started a thread about spotting a clean Yamaha 650...and in the first pic in my original post is the 650 sitting in front of that shop...I was having an E3 installed or balanced on my Venture that day...cant remember exactly. Anyway, the corner of the building is just visible there.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40547&highlight=yamaha

Edited by tx2sturgis

I know that Sharps will not mount a tire unless you buy it from them. Their service manager has the personality of a bear that missed his winter hibernation.

Now I called A&M on what they charged to mount a tire and they very quickly told me $50.00 per tire and this was if it was off the bike. This was about 2 months ago. Did find a place that did it for me For (mount & balance)$35.00 + tax.They really seem to appreciate your business.

Mike Propes Repair Center. He works on cars as well as bikes. His web site only talks car repair, but he does work on bike. The shop is very clean and nice. Mounted the tire in a couple of hours. Really nice guy.

His address is :

Mike Propes Repair Center

3814 Business Park Drive

Amarillo, TX 79110

806-463-1118

mikepropesrepaircenter.com

Guest tx2sturgis

I never said that A&M was cheap...but its a $50 fee for mounting and balancing with the wheel ON the bike if they get the tire for you.

I hear stories of cheap mounting and I just cringe...Years ago, I had one guy say he'd do it for $20 on my ElectraGlide, and when I came back and looked in a half hour, he had lifted the bike using a forklift to lift it by putting the forks under the mufflers and lifting the bike that way!

Plus they scratched the rims...

So no thanks...

No freaking kidding!

Unfortunately, it sounds like service is crap almost everywhere that deals with cars and bikes.

If you can find good and honest service, pay the extra that they may charge and recommend them to everyone.

We seem to always hear a lot about the horror stories and rip-offs that we should avoid and hear less about the recommended good places. In this forum I think it is pretty well balanced. :think:

I have absolutely NO problem paying for good service. I obviously don't want to get raked over the coals or anything, but if a business consistently shows good customer service, good business practices, puts out a good product (or service) then they've got my business and recommendation - even if they are more expensive than the guy next door.

Rick:

I wish that you would have sent me an email here so I could fill you in on Sharps. I KNOW they dont carry the E3 because I have asked them to...they wont. Too few bikes can use the pricey Dunlop E3 in our size, so they dont stock them. They dont want to see expensive tires sit on the shelf for 6 months or a year. I can tell you that a good place to have tires installed and other minor repairs ( oil changes, plugs, filters, tires, adjustments, bulbs, brakes, etc.) done to bikes in the Amarillo area is A&M Cycles on the south end of Amarillo. Now they dont stock the E3 either, but he orders them from Dallas, and can have it on hand in a day or 2 after you order it. I have bought 2 or 3 from him, had them in 1 or 2 days, and installed in an hour. These guys let you watch, or even help if need be, while they work on your bike. Now thats 'old school', and I love it.

They are a couple of good 'ol boys (Kevin and Jim) that actually give a damn about doing things right. Its just a small shop that works hard to keep customers happy. They dont do major repairs while you wait, but will usually stop what they are doing and take another bike off a lift to get your bike fixed and on the road again. By the way, A means American, and M means Metric...they work on both. I have no affiliation with the shop other than as a customer...and OK...I know Jim from a local watering hole. :innocent:

They are in the business park south of Dulaneys on I-27. You CANNOT see the front of the shop from the highway, you have to know where its located. Coming back south on I-27, take the Hillside Exit. Stay on the frontage road for..I dunno...maybe a half mile..look for the Dulaneys Salvage yard...keep going south about another 1/4 mile or so, then look for the orange/brown building and sign that says Business Park. Turn in there, and you will see them...its actually the SECOND building on the left as you turn in...not the first building. I included a google screen shot to kindve give you an idea of what yer looking for. Coincidentally, in the google image, a bike is entering the shops driveway. Coulda been me!

Sharps has a reputation for shoddy customer service. But, I keep the relations between me and them as good as I can, since they may have to save my ass someday.

A & M Cycles

806-353-7670

6652 Canyon Dr # 8

Amarillo, TX 79109

I kicked around the idea of e-mailing a few of you Amarillo-ites, sending a quick message of sorts, or a simple phone call but the guy I talked to on the phone really had me convinced that I had bought a tire from him - so I figured there was no sense in bothering any of yous. That and I was so focused on getting the tire today so I could have it mounted and balanced first thing tomorrow morning (which my local honda dealer does for me for around 25 bucks TOTAL - including tax and the nucence fees not to mention they don't care where you buy the tire; but quite frankly their prices beat all of the online sources I could find).

For a while I was considering selling my 01 for a new bike so I would have the convenience of the warranty but between my local yammi shop and the next closest one in Amarillo, I would have to head to Dallas to get any work done, so forget that! And good luck to you on managing decent enough relationship with those folks to keep up your bike on the road until that warranty runs out!! Although with your shock ordeal it seems like you could just go in and ask for your parts and do the work yourself, which is actually not a half bad way to go.

Rick,

That is pretty much the way they treat everyone who doesn't ride a crotch rocket or a dirt bike. Also, it isn't just the parts counter, it is the dealership...

That is good to know so I don't waste time calling them for anything else... Ever.

I know that Sharps will not mount a tire unless you buy it from them. Their service manager has the personality of a bear that missed his winter hibernation.

Now I called A&M on what they charged to mount a tire and they very quickly told me $50.00 per tire and this was if it was off the bike. This was about 2 months ago. Did find a place that did it for me For (mount & balance)$35.00 + tax.They really seem to appreciate your business.

Mike Propes Repair Center. ...

Good info here too! My local honda shop (Family Power sports) will mount a tire off the bike for ~25 out the door. ON the bike (for our tourers) Front for ~42ish and rear for 70 (50 if you take off the bags). When I got my last rear Avon replaced under warranty, the mechanic actually came out when I picked my bike up and pointed a few things out that he had noticed. He also mentioned that while he had the wheel off he greased everything up for me 'since it was off'.

I hear stories of cheap mounting and I just cringe...Years ago, I had one guy say he'd do it for $20 on my ElectraGlide, and when I came back and looked in a half hour, he had lifted the bike using a forklift to lift it by putting the forks under the mufflers and lifting the bike that way!

Plus they scratched the rims...

So no thanks...

:yikes: Oh now that just brings a tear to my eye.

I will say that my local Honda shop is awesome. Two of the four service writers greet me by name when I come in there. Now, I have referred a lot of business to them (and they know it because a few of them I walked back to the service area with since I was their ride to or from the shop). Not only do they have fantastic prices, they can get my Yamaha parts faster and less expensively than the Yamaha shop in town.

But most importantly, the parts counter, salesmen or service people have NO PROBLEM saying that they do not know something, then ACTUALLY go through some effort to figure out whatever it is or get a hold of someone that does know. There have been a few times where I had either been looking for a part or asked a particular question about a component on something that they needed to look into a little more to give me an informed answer - I left my number and they called me back and spent the time discussing whatever it was that I had inquired about (this has happened a few times now).

Just about anything I have needed from them, if they didn't have it in stock, came next day. Unfortunately they are not open on Mondays, which is why I tried the Amarillo shop. So I'll check it out tomorrow and hopefully find that they have one in stock.

As for the E3's in the size of 150/80-16 they actually do go on a handful of bikes. RSV, Goldwing (GL 1800), I believe one of the the kaw. vulcans as well as one of the bigger Suzukis. But, I realize that in this area at least, there are not very many folks that ride enough to burn through one or two tires a year to stock a ton of these puppies.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for my local HONDA dealer to pull through for me, yet again. And if they can't get me one tomorrow, I'll try the Suzuki dealer. If still no dice, I'm sure I can count on the Honda dealer to have me one and have it installed by late morning on Wednesday.

Guest tx2sturgis

For a while I was considering selling my 01 for a new bike so I would have the convenience of the warranty but between my local yammi shop and the next closest one in Amarillo, I would have to head to Dallas to get any work done, so forget that! And good luck to you on managing decent enough relationship with those folks to keep up your bike on the road until that warranty runs out!! Although with your shock ordeal it seems like you could just go in and ask for your parts and do the work yourself, which is actually not a half bad way to go.

Well there is actually a little Suzuki/Yamaha shop here in Plainview, but that guy is worthless. Thats why I have never even mentioned him. He mostly sells quads to the local farmers, and he seems to act as if he is God's gift to Plainview. But there IS a Yamaha shop in both Clovis and Roswell, although I've never had any dealings with either, so it might be possible to get service and parts there if we were to burn ALL our bridges around here.:whistling:

Good info here too! My local honda shop (Family Power sports) will mount a tire off the bike for ~25 out the door. ON the bike (for our tourers) Front for ~42ish and rear for 70 (50 if you take off the bags). When I got my last rear Avon replaced under warranty, the mechanic actually came out when I picked my bike up and pointed a few things out that he had noticed. He also mentioned that while he had the wheel off he greased everything up for me 'since it was off'.

Good to know stuff like this!

I've only been in that facility one time and they were very friendly to me. I was impressed. I was looking for a tube of Honda Moly60 and they seemed happy I was there...of course its a bit of overkill, but it did seem that they practiced good customer service. I have actually had mostly good luck with the parts and service guys at Watts Yamaha. Maybe its a hit-n-miss deal at that place.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Rick,

Another thing, Sharps will keep your bike AT LEAST a week on a tire change. I had an "I" basket put in my bike under warranty and they had my bike 3 weeks. I will never buy another Yamaha because of the customer service at Sharps.

Guest tx2sturgis
Rick,

Another thing, Sharps will keep your bike AT LEAST a week on a tire change. I had an "I" basket put in my bike under warranty and they had my bike 3 weeks. I will never buy another Yamaha because of the customer service at Sharps.

Now just to be fair, they did mount a tire on my Venture a couple years ago, in about an hour. ( that thread is here:http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21043&highlight=rear+tire) I had my bike brought in on a 'roll-back' and they happened to have a Dunlop Elite II that fit. I wanted an E3 but of course, they didnt have that one. Yep, a Dunlop 491 Elite II...Raised White Letters and all! At least it was a back tire, and you had to kinda be looking for the letters to see them.

Who in the HELL would mount up RWL tires on a touring bike, by choice? Geeze.:think:

Well there is actually a little Suzuki/Yamaha shop here in Plainview, but that guy is worthless. Thats why I have never even mentioned him. He mostly sells quads to the local farmers, and he seems to act as if he is God's gift to Plainview. But there IS a Yamaha shop in both Clovis and Roswell, although I've never had any dealings with either, so it might be possible to get service and parts there if we were to burn ALL our bridges around here.:whistling:

Good to know stuff like this!

I've only been in that facility one time and they were very friendly to me. I was impressed. I was looking for a tube of Honda Moly60 and they seemed happy I was there...of course its a bit of overkill, but it did seem that they practiced good customer service. I have actually had mostly good luck with the parts and service guys at Watts Yamaha. Maybe its a hit-n-miss deal at that place.

The shop in Clovis, I have driven by a few times, they seem to be there but the few times I have tried to call them (maybe 3-5 times in the last year, including yesterday) I get a busy signal or a message that says the phone number has changed or been disconnected. So, I figured it wasn't worth driving out there just to be disappointed.

As for good luck at watts... Well, the prices are outrageous, they usually go MSRP then bump it up by 25 to 50% (opposed to family powersports that seems to go MSRP and cut it DOWN by at least 10%...) But I will say that there was ONE guy of the several I have dealt with at the parts counter that was actually reasonable. The rest of them are the typical 'punks in the yammi jerseys'. I have only dealt with the service department twice. Once when my rectifier went out, I went in to ask a few questions and was not impressed but not completely turned off by it either. Second I went in a few days ago to see about getting a tire mounted off the bike and they told me that it would be 50 bucks and got pretty pissy with me when they found out that I bought the tire elsewhere, so I'm done with them unless I absolutely need to be.

Don't get me started on the sales people... sheesh.

Glad you had a good experience with them though, maybe I just keep getting the same bad d-bag at watts... But, I suspect not based on other people I have talked to.

Rick,

Another thing, Sharps will keep your bike AT LEAST a week on a tire change. I had an "I" basket put in my bike under warranty and they had my bike 3 weeks. ...

Oh geeze. I guess by now though, I cannot say I am all that surprised.

I don't know about that. Pretty soon you won't be able to buy anything, there is always a bad dealer for any brand. :think:

Sad, but so true.

I don't know about that. Pretty soon you won't be able to buy anything, there is always a bad dealer for any brand. :think:

You may be right, but it does no good to sit around and P*** & Moan then go right back to the same place and spend your money. My feeling is either don't gripe or do something about it. I can't put any pressure on a dealer, but Yamaha can. If I let Yamaha know it is costing them customers, they may give the dealer a call and infulence the way the treat customers. But that is just me.

Guest tx2sturgis
You may be right, but it does no good to sit around and P*** & Moan then go right back to the same place and spend your money. My feeling is either don't gripe or do something about it. I can't put any pressure on a dealer, but Yamaha can. If I let Yamaha know it is costing them customers, they may give the dealer a call and infulence the way the treat customers. But that is just me.

That might work, or it might backfire. Yamaha is not the dealer's Boss...its the other way around. The dealers are the ones buying bikes from Yamaha, and Yamaha probably is happy to sell them bikes, and doesn't want to sour the relationship. Right now the motorcycle business is slow, and having a multi-brand dealer retaliate by cutting its order in half might not be the best business decision for the manufacturer.

But that is just me. :cool17:

Dunno where all of these places are in relation to you Rick but what about the idea of having a tire waiting for you at some reputable shop enroute to Nelson .... that way you could get yourself on the road and maybe only have a 1 hr stopover along the way ... it would probably be time for a rest anyhoo... ?? (just a thought ... maybe not practical for you)

Hope you get this all worked out and we don't miss seeing you at Nelson.

denniskirk.com - they will ship them to your door for about half the cost of buying them from a motorcycle dealer... I'm sure other places will as well just check around, enough said...

Walked out of my local dealer this morning - $105, out the door for the Dunlop E3 tire (opposed to the $113 from Dennis Kirk).. Will be mounted and balanced tomorrow as soon as they get the tire (told me should be done by noon, since their truck usually shows up by 1130). Got my rear from the same dealer for $125. I guess I am sort of lucky with the way these folks operate, price wise, but thanks for the suggestion.

Dunno where all of these places are in relation to you Rick but what about the idea of having a tire waiting for you at some reputable shop enroute to Nelson .... that way you could get yourself on the road and maybe only have a 1 hr stopover along the way ... it would probably be time for a rest anyhoo... ?? (just a thought ... maybe not practical for you)

Hope you get this all worked out and we don't miss seeing you at Nelson.

I had thought about this too, but, figured I might be better off sticking with the local shop that I know, can trust, and can go back to right away if there are any issues at all. That and I've already missed two good days of it, I'd rather make it there for sure and get 1 good meet day out of it, opposed to running the risk of being stuck in some town somewhere (either with something that I did not order or some goofball that would charge me out the wazoo due to the circumstances) because something got screwed up with the shipment or installation. As it goes right now, I should be able to pick up my mounted tire tomorrow by noon, I'll have it back on the bike ready for a short (50 mile or so) test drive around here, then if all goes well - lock up and take off for Nelson. I'll probably only make it up to Pueblo, CO tomorrow night though (which is fine because I would much rather cruise Colorado in the daytime anyways). Then a stop over somewhere around Billings, MT, then 700 miles to Nelson and I'll be there - tired and in need of a shower, but ready to ride on Saturday. Unless I get hit by a bus or something... It is going to be a tough run, but, I really want to make at least one day of this meet :- /

If for some reason the tire install is delayed tomorrow, I'm going to have to call off making it to Nelson for this year, and I'll end up delaying my departure for another few days.

Guest tx2sturgis
I'll probably only make it up to Pueblo, CO tomorrow night though (which is fine because I would much rather cruise Colorado in the daytime anyways).

Sounds like a long ride for a one day meet.. ..hey you ever ridden a motorcycle in Denver traffic during morning rush hour? YOU WONT LIKE IT!

I'd go around....and I'm not talking about the toll road either!

Edited by tx2sturgis