IGNORED

'83 & '86 ignition Q?

Dmnordin

So, I'm putting an '86 1300 engine in my '83 Venture, and I will be using my '83 1200 carburetors. I was told that the '86 coils & TCI unit are better components than the '83 ignition components, and that I should swap them into the '83.

Upon looking around in my '86 shop manual, I learn that the '86 ignition system spark timing advance goes like this; vacuum from the 1300 carbs goes to an electronic sensor unit, which sends signals to the TCI unit via the '86 1300 wiring harness, and the timing is advanced in certain vacuum states.

If this is the case, I will not be able to use at least the '86 TCI unit in my '83 because of (1) I'm using my '83 1200 carbs, and (2) my '83 wiring harness will not accomodate the '86 electronic vacuum sensor signals going to the TCI unit.

Can anyone verify my research and logic, and verify that I will NOT be able to use the '86 TCI unit in my '83. I think I should still be able to use the '86 coils, but, 1) are they better? & 2) Why are they better?

Thank you!

Doug Nordin

Look at this post from earlier today.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=50354

Yes, you can use the 86 TCI in an 83 engine, for proper hookup you should get a vacuum hose that goes from sensor to intake boot.

83 & 88 coils are the same part numbers, didn't check them all. They are the same.

Same vacuum sensor. Different hook up point for vacuum. 83's are above throttle plates, 84-93's are below.

TCI's are different. See above post.

Your wiring harness will plug into the 83 thru 89 TCI with no modifications, same with coils.

You should think about rejetting 1200cc carbs. 1300's have stock 125 mains, and could stand a little higher. 1200's had 117.5 mains.

Gary