IGNORED

83 m.p.h.

jfoster

Through out my days of running radar on the big road, I've observed a constant. I see alot guys from a Bandido, to sport bikes, and even one silver Venture (u know who u are-and u'r welcome) running at 83 mph on the money. Curiousity, is there something special about 83 mph?

All I can say is that I run 9 mph over any posted highway speed. I never run over 80 on my speedo since the cruise does not work after that. I don't believe that my indicated speed is correct but not off by much. There are many posts that state the RSV indicates higher than actual speed so I probably am not running more than 5-6 mph over the speed limit. On my last big ride I went through at least three radar areas with no problem.

:farmer:

Don't know about the 83mph, but I DO know that if you own a MK1 1st gen, that you are almost invisible to radar, laser and lidar. I've been hit by all 3 at varying distances, and they all look at their guns, then me, then their guns again and just start shaking their heads and motion for me to slow down. It's either that or they know they can't catch up!

You can ask Muffin about his adventure with an officer buddy trying to "verify" his speed!

Don't know about the 83mph, but I DO know that if you own a MK1 1st gen, that you are almost invisible to radar, laser and lidar. I've been hit by all 3 at varying distances, and they all look at their guns, then me, then their guns again and just start shaking their heads and motion for me to slow down. It's either that or they know they can't catch up!

You can ask Muffin about his adventure with an officer buddy trying to "verify" his speed!

I have some friends that are local leo's and have found out that they cant get a bead on my speed while riding my G1 85 until I am almost on top of them.

Brian

I have some friends that are local leo's and have found out that they cant get a bead on my speed while riding my G1 85 until I am almost on top of them.

Brian

It's that big trunk on there, the only flat vertical surface on the bike! Otherwise they'd have to try and hit a mirror (tight beam) or some other very small area to return the signal to the gun!

I usually run at 82-83 MPH on my 2nd gen. which is 77 MPH on the Gps. and i have been doing that a couple time a month for the past three year (to go and see my son, daughter-in-law and Grandkids). It from the North East corner of New York to Yorktown NY( about 280 miles one way) just North of New York City. I do the Same in my cage during colder weather and have been ticket free so far. Hope my luck hold out. Maybe that the magic of 83 MPH. :fingers-crossed-emo

I believe there can be a big downside to not giving a radar signal if you are a reasonably law abiding rider. The problem is radar picks up the strongest bounce back for a speed reading. If you are running at five over and you have a big SUV coming up from 500 feet back at fifteen over the speed limit, if the LEO is not real aware of what is going on, you just bought yourself a fifteen over ticket and you can do very little about it. This is the biggest reason I still run a radar detector on my bike.

This can be especially aggravating if you meet up with an LEO that just loves to ticket a bike, and they are out there. I am against using any type of speed measuring equipment that relies on a great degree of skill for the LEO to constantly get an accurate reading. Radar, in my opinion is simply not discriminating enough.

RandyA

83 must be the top speed for a 1st gen.Thats as fast as my 86 will go.Now the 2nd gen has been up to 110 with the sidecar.

83 mph, I could do that in 2nd gear (pushing past 7500 rpm a little). But that is nowhere near top speed for a 1st gen. :2cents:

You need to do some work, to your 1st gen. Maybe start, with new spark plugs, so all 4 are firing....... :duck: