IGNORED

87 Venture speedometer/cruise control not working

My 87 Venture's speedometer just stopped working. I have checked the connections and when I checked the cable on the front wheel I spun the cable manually and it changed the odometer so it is apparently connected at the top. I was on the highway today and when I tried to engage the cruise the power light came on but I could not "set" a speed. Does the cruise control work off the speedo cable? Could something at the front wheel connection be loose or broken? I have the rotor covers so it is somewhat of a problem getting at the connection. Thanks for any help.

My 87 Venture's speedometer just stopped working. I have checked the connections and when I checked the cable on the front wheel I spun the cable manually and it changed the odometer so it is apparently connected at the top. I was on the highway today and when I tried to engage the cruise the power light came on but I could not "set" a speed. Does the cruise control work off the speedo cable? Could something at the front wheel connection be loose or broken? I have the rotor covers so it is somewhat of a problem getting at the connection. Thanks for any help.

Check the small switch on the clutch lever. They come loose, and do not contact the clutch lever, thus disengaging the Cruze Control Circuits.

With clutch engaged, the contacts of this switch should be " closed " .

The brakes also have switch's that will dissengage the cruse control. That might be where you problem is. But its usually at the clutch lever.

The Speedometer is all mechanical, operated by the rotating cable, inside the Sheath from Speedo down to the mechanism at the left side of the front Axe.

I would reccomend removing the front axel, and checking the connecting point of the cable to the speedo unit on the left side of the front axel.

The cruise control reads the speed via a magnetic read switch mounted in the speedometer head.

If speedometer cable is broke or otherwise not functioning, cruise will not work.

Also check that speedometer cable nut has not loosened at speedometer head.

Gary

The cruise control reads the speed via a magnetic read switch mounted in the speedometer head.

If speedometer cable is broke or otherwise not functioning, cruise will not work.

Also check that speedometer cable nut has not loosened at speedometer head.

Gary

This reed switch is just snapped into top/rear of head, Mine had popped out and I hot glued it back in.

If you lost both speedo and cruise, I would suspect your problem in the mechanical cable or the worm gear in the front wheel hub. I have seen cable cores break, but when you press in and turn by hand you provide enough friction across the break to make you think it is ok.

This reed switch is just snapped into top/rear of head, Mine had popped out and I hot glued it back in.

If you lost both speedo and cruise, I would suspect your problem in the mechanical cable or the worm gear in the front wheel hub. I have seen cable cores break, but when you press in and turn by hand you provide enough friction across the break to make you think it is ok.

Thanks for the replies. I, too, suspect the mechanical components, as the cruise was working just fine until the speedo quit. When I checked the cable by turning manually I noticed I could pull the core out. Is that normal or does it indicate the core is broken? I could pull the core all the way out and measure it or see a broken spot. Does anyone know the normal length? Thanks.

Well, I just pulled the cable core out and it looks fine, long and square ends. It could be the part on the front axle may have broken. I guess I'll have to pull the front wheel off sometime but will wait till I find the spare I have somewhere or else order one off fleabay.

Called the speed sensor yes it will affect cruise control by making it surge up and down.

The cable can still be unscrewed from the speedometer head and appear fine at bottom end.

See if you can move outer cable up and down where it goes up into fairing.

If you can, it may be detached from speedometer head.

Gary

When I checked the cable ends at first, I had to remove the headlight to get at the upper connection to the back of the speedo. Not too easy with big fingers but it was tight and, as I mentioned, when I manually spun the core, the odometer moved so I concluded that portion was functional.

It sure seems like it could be the front axle gearing for the cable. Thanks for the reply, though.