IGNORED

Top Heavy

Alabamacameo

I owned an '83 Venture Royale from 83 to 90. It was top heavy but manageable with care. I am looking at a 99 and 2000 MM and I understand they are top heavy also. How do the two bikes compare in this important handling situation? Thanks in advance for your replies...

I owned an '83 Venture Royale from 83 to 90. It was top heavy but manageable with care. I am looking at a 99 and 2000 MM and I understand they are top heavy also. How do the two bikes compare in this important handling situation? Thanks in advance for your replies...

I've had an '85 & an '87 and now have an '06.

I find the '06 to not feel anywhere near as top heavy as either of the other two. It seems to have a lower centre of gravity. If a person is coming off a 1st gen onto a 2nd gen, they will most likely find the 2nd gen easier to handle in this regard. If coming off some other bike such as maybe a Harley Ultra, the 2nd gen will definately feel more top heavy.

That's how I feel about it.

Also have a Honda Valkyrie and used to think it had a relatively high center of gravity. Just got a 2009 RSV and it feels more top heavy than the Valk. Was talking with an RSV rider recently and mentioned the above and he told me that he had both first and second gen Ventures and that the second gen was less top heavy than the first gen.

All that means is that there's different rides on different bikes.

These bikes are not any more top heavy than any other bike. ALL bikes by design are top heavy. Get off a bike, don't put the kick stand down, and let go and ALL bikes will fall over, so therefore all bikes are top heavy.......

HOWEVER the RSV and tour deluxe do have a comparatively long wheel base and the rake/trail of the front end is set up for highway speeds, more than the H-D ultra classic.

so with that said, compared to most bikes on the market, you will have to lean the bike more to make it U turn............

I recommend buying a copy of the current version of Ride Like a Pro DVD and PRACTICE what is demonstrated on the DVD.

BTW the owners manual for my 2007 RSV on page 9-1 states the minimum turning radius is 35000mm (137.8 in) which is 11.4833333 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a lot tighter than I am currently able to turn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but with practice I hope to get down to under 14 feet.