Since I replaced my rear brakes last week, I am getting a clicking sound when I apply my brakes. It's kind of like haing a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle (Hush, Yammer).

It's not quite that loud, but I can hear it. I already tore it back down, and everything looks like it should. I am thinking it is just pad vibration. The pads are EBC HH sintered.

Anyone else experience this?

Monty the only clicking (from the rear end of our scoots) that I have read hear is that the rear drive splines do that when lubrication is needed.

Boomer....who sez don't blame me cuz I didn't design the scoot.....and I sure could be wrong in the above comment too......but I'll send ya a truckload of pygmies to make it up to you.

Ran across that before a few times. Best case, pads were shaking. Check the retainers.

Worst case.......check the rotor for a hairline crack. Hard to see but will make a tick, tick, tick everytime the pads cross it. Not good.

Hoping for pads.

Mike

Ran across that before a few times. Best case, pads were shaking. Check the retainers.

Worst case.......check the rotor for a hairline crack. Hard to see but will make a tick, tick, tick everytime the pads cross it. Not good.

Hoping for pads.

Mike

This is good advice. Certainly sounds like a broken rotor. Also check that the retainer spring clip on top of the pads is put in correctly. There is an arrow embossed on the top that needs to point forward.

Goose

I had checked that clip, and mine doesn't have the arrow, like the service manual shows. I tried it both ways, to no avail.

I will check the rotor tomorrow. I hope that's not it. I wonder why it didn't do this with the old pads?

Gonna try using some anti-squeal also.

I inspected the rotor, and didn't see any cracks. I took the pads out and reversed them, and then added a THIN coat of grease to the backside of the pads. I just took it out for a spin, and all noises are gone.:happy34:

Whew! Thanks for the replies.

I inspected the rotor, and didn't see any cracks. I took the pads out and reversed them, and then added a THIN coat of grease to the backside of the pads. I just took it out for a spin, and all noises are gone.

Whew! Thanks for the replies.

"thin" coat of grease on the back side of the pads, what does this do? Does it act somewhat like the other products you add to stop the squeal and chatter of brakes? Interesting..

If you taper the sides of the pads a little with a grinder before you install them they will not click. The clicking sound you hear is the shoe passing over the vent holes in the rotor.

You are correct Sir! I was thinking about that last night, when I noticed some pad material in the holes. Oh well...I'll take 'em off tonight and grind 'em down, and add the anti-squeal...just in case.

OK, I took the pads back off, put a bevel on the leading and trailing edges, added prestone anti-squeal to the backs of the pads, replaced my fuel filter and added Water Wetter to my cooling system. I should be good to go now....whew!

MD here we come!

OK, I took the pads back off, put a bevel on the leading and trailing edges, added prestone anti-squeal to the backs of the pads, replaced my fuel filter and added Water Wetter to my cooling system. I should be good to go now....whew!

MD here we come!

Yes, that fuel filter should really stop all that clicking now ;)

What's the Water Wetter do for your cooling system?

Let us know if you're still clicking after the beveling work..

Cheers M8

Although It's been awhile, I seem to remember all brake pads use to come with a 'anti-squeal'? lubricant that you applied between the back of the pad and the cupped end of the brake piston as there was always a certain amount of play there as well as a metal to metal connection.