I need some help on the front forks. I am trying to relace the seal and put progressive springs in them with air suspension. I have both forks off the bike, I took the springs out. Pulled the dust cover off and then the clip under. Finally I pulled the gold colord washer out.

What I need to know is how do I get the tubes out of the lower forks with out damaging them. :confused24::confused24:

I read the post on here about doing this and the only post I can find is Freebirds and his are still on the bike. Everything else is just replacing springs on the bike.

I took the forks off because I want to make sure that they are strait.

I asked the same thing when I was at that stage... here goes :

- put the lower fork tube into a vice (vice jaws fairly tight on the brake mounting bosses). Make sure it is solid (not to the point of deforming the bosss though. And DO NOT CLAMP THE ACTUAL TUBE).

- grab the upper tube, which should be loose and sliding somewhat easily, ease it into the lower tube.

- hold on tight with both hands and give it a good yank. The only thing holding it in is a press-fit bushing, but they will not come out with gradual pulling. It needs a fair amount of force. When the upper fork tube hits the bushing, it will pop it right out, and the upper tube will be free of the lower.

The bushing presses in during reassembly. Marcarl had a short hunk of PVC pipe that was exactly the right diameter to do the job. It doesn't take much force to reinstall but does hold the upper to the lower quite securely.

Good luck.

I asked the same thing when I was at that stage... here goes :

- put the lower fork tube into a vice (vice jaws fairly tight on the brake mounting bosses). Make sure it is solid (not to the point of deforming the bosss though. And DO NOT CLAMP THE ACTUAL TUBE).

- grab the upper tube, which should be loose and sliding somewhat easily, ease it into the lower tube.

- hold on tight with both hands and give it a good yank. The only thing holding it in is a press-fit bushing, but they will not come out with gradual pulling. It needs a fair amount of force. When the upper fork tube hits the bushing, it will pop it right out, and the upper tube will be free of the lower.

The bushing presses in during reassembly. Marcarl had a short hunk of PVC pipe that was exactly the right diameter to do the job. It doesn't take much force to reinstall but does hold the upper to the lower quite securely.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advise; however, there is an 10 mm hex bolt on the bottom of a fork. When you read right past that point in Freebirds instructions no matter how hard you pull it doesn't come apart. After a phone call today :happy65::happy65: it comes right apart. I have not been able to take it out for a spin or even set it on the ground but the forks are done and back on the bike. I still have it apart putting on an CLASS system. When it is all done I will let everyone know how it works. :fingers-crossed-emo