IGNORED

Hav Gen 1- Just bought Gen 2- buyers regrets?

Just bought a beautiful Gen 2 2000 white/tan. Great shape and chromed out. Wanted more reliability than my Gen 1. Wanted to make sure I could get parts. Was quite shocked with the Gen 2. (The following is only my opinion after riding the Gen 2 400 miles yesterday. Not trying to upset anyone but I imagine there are some Gen 1 riders out there that wonder what they are missing)

There are certain things I really like about the Gen 2.

Foot positions-awesome

Accessability to work on things

Suspension- Maybe my Gen 1 just doesn't work right. Don't feel a bump on the Gen 2.

Looks

Cruise control

No plastic ABS panels!

Tank capacity. Love the 6 gallons.

There are quite a few things that I think the Gen 1 is still better.

Heat- The Gen 1 is more comfortable on hot days. Those side fairings really do something.

Fairings- Protects better through the wind, moves better through the wind and less noise.

Handles better at slow speeds.

Tach, temp, time (Whats up with no clock on Gen 2. Doesn't make sense) Speed is hard to read. Granny guages on Gen 2.

Hand position- Handlebar is adjustable on Gen 1 but not 2.

Seems like at highway speeds I'm standing still on the Gen 1 it goes so easy.

Lights- Back end and front end are much more visible.

Seat- I think the seat is better on a Gen 1. Because of handlebar position I am way forward on the seat which makes me catch the heat coming up from the gap of the front of the seat and gas tank.

Managing at slower speeds.

Handling- I just have 400 miles on the Gen 2, but it seems like the Gen 1 handles better slow and fast. Hope I don't feel this way for long.

Fit- I'm 6' 1". I think this bike is made for a guy who is 6'4". The handlebars don't come back far enough for the seat in my opinion.

Center stand- Why no center stand on the Gen 2?

I'm wobbling at parking lot speed on the Gen 2. Guess I will get used to it, but a weird feeling. Front end seems like I am moving through cement.

Gen 1 just seems more fun to ride.

In fairness I just got the Gen 2 yesterday and rode it 400 miles. I got it because of reliability. Thought I could get things fixed faster and better since parts were more available. I didn't realize how attached I was to the Gen 1. There is a certain pride in wrenching a 27 year bike and taking it a long way from home. Showing up at a gas station with a group of bikers and having them look over like they have never seen what your riding before. Unfortunately I can only have 1 bike. Don't have room. I bought the Gen 2 just because I wanted newer and more reliable I didn't care about better. I did expect to get the same though and not less and I do feel like the Gen 2 is "less" than the Gen 1 in too many ways. Seems like the Gen 2 sacrifices a lot of function to capture the Harley look.

The only thing I know for sure is that I like and respect the Gen 1 a lot more today than I did a week ago. I've always cussed the plastic on the Gen 1. It frustrates me that things are too hard to get to. I'm going to be a Gen 2 rider for the coming years, but the grass is not much greener over here and there are some bare spots. The Gen 1 is a great machine. The feeling I have riding a bike that I have somewhat restored along with the function of the bike seems to have given me a thrill that was greater than what I bought. I know I'm going to have to sell my Gen 1 coming up soon, but I will definitely have some remorse with it.

Hold select and reset buttons simultaneously for about 3 seconds and you'll have your clock.

The second Gen is indeed a beast that takes getting used to, I came from a 96 Voyager and

I often wish for it back, but I really wouldn't trade my RSV for nothin'.

Tires make a big difference in handling. I of course run a CT and a Pirelli rear reverse mounted

on the front (not for everybody). Dunlop's suck for sure. And Brickstones are even worse I here

as I've never had those.

I have no doubt you'll get the feel for it soon enough. :080402gudl_prv:

I only got to test ride a Gen 2 for about 10 miles last year at an event, but I found it to ride a lot like my '86 VR. The gen 1 does have cruise or was that an option on some versions?

May be something wrong on your Gen 1 because the ride should be pretty good. I just bought an '04 Gold Wing, and so far, I think my Gen I rides better, but I am still working on suspension settings and tire pressures on the new bike.

Any change of bike is going to take more than a few days to get used to the new setup. Give it some time, most people I know that have the Gen 2 love them. I would have gone for one but I didn't want a bike that looked like a Harley. Prefer the Gen 1 or "gold wing" style instead.

A 2000 millennium edition, those are special. If I got an RSV, that is the one I would want.

I think one of the things Yamaha is messing up on is paint. Paint is fairly easy and cheap, so why not offer more than 2 or 3 colors?

The only thing I know for sure is that I like and respect the Gen 1 a lot more today than I did a week ago. I've always cussed the plastic on the Gen 1. It frustrates me that things are too hard to get to. I'm going to be a Gen 2 rider for the coming years, but the grass is not much greener over here and there are some bare spots. The Gen 1 is a great machine. The feeling I have riding a bike that I have somewhat restored along with the function of the bike seems to have given me a thrill that was greater than what I bought. I know I'm going to have to sell my Gen 1 coming up soon, but I will definitely have some remorse with it.

:sign yeah that:DITTO!! I experienced the same exact same thing when I bought 'Miss Piggy'. I know I'll eventually come to love her the same way I did 'Old Faithfull'. She has short comings, but she is sexy..... :)

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/buena_vista_home_entertainment/the_muppet_show___season_one/_group_photos/miss_piggy5.jpghttp://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060824013059/muppet/images/9/96/Hamilton.piggybike.jpg

If you are not a person who likes to corner or like be able to corner w/o worrying about scraping. OR like to do 12 second 1/4 miles. Then the GEN.2 is fine. But remember you are now pulling another 60# plus, on a bike that is not the least bit aerodynamic, with 10 less horsepower(6500 vs. 7500 redline) than the Gen.1. Mine puts to the rear wheel what the gen2 does at the crank. I will always say, buy a GEN.2 before an H-D for sure. But Yamaha needs EFI on their touring bike , SOON!

Just bought a beautiful Gen 2 2000 white/tan. Great shape and chromed out. Wanted more reliability than my Gen 1. Wanted to make sure I could get parts.

I got it because of reliability. Thought I could get things fixed faster and better since parts were more available.

I bought the Gen 2 just because I wanted newer and more reliable I didn't care about better.

QUOTE]

Thanks Sounds like you gave a Good compairison...Sound like you wanted better reliablity. :thumbsup:

I think I would get tired or working on it rather than riding it also.

:witch_brew:

I just recently got my 2 RSV, and really haven't ridden it too much at all, but going to when I finish redoing it. It is a Beast for sure, and big time Top Heavy. What ridding of it I have done is great, and I love it, but slowing down, ans turning around in the road is the pits ( for me ) I am only 510, and have bad knees, and have a time keeping it up if it gets just a tad of center. Love the bike for sure or I wouldn't have it.. I for the moment ride the Goldwing but soon will be splitting the time between the two.

In the past when changing bikes it always took a lot of getting use too. It will come I am sure.