IGNORED

oil for air compressor

RandyR

I recently bought a 10 gallon 115psi Jobsmart compressor at Tractor Supply Inc.

It came with 1 quart (or maybe liter) of oil. 2/3 of the oil was used when new to fill it up to a sight level mark. I've run it maybe 4 hours of run time, and it just drank the remaining 1/3 liter of oil.

The book with it, which is a loose chinese translation (I think) just says, use the proper oil to keep it filled to the middle of the sight glass.

The oil looks like about a 10 weight oil. Light weight stuff.

Do I need to look for oil specifically labeled air compressor oil, or can I use a light weight automotive oil, or something readily obtained and recognized?

There is a special oil just for air compressors.

Thanks. I will be close to Tractor Supply this afternoon, so its easy to stop back in and get the right oil.

And the Yamaha dealer is right down the street, so I might as well order the new petcock I need...

:mo money:

First, air compressors must use NON detergent oil because of the high volume of water that condenses out of the compressed air (the same reason you must regularly drain the tank).

But I'd be a little concerned about that much oil use! I mean, holy loose-fit, batman, there just ain't no excuse for it to be sucking all that if it was properly filled in the first place. I have been using a Sears twin-cyl compressor since the 1980s, and I sometimes run it a LOT (had to replace the motor on it 15 years ago), and I have NEVER once needed to add oil. Keep a close eye on it and consider returning it for a replacement! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

First, air compressors must use NON detergent oil because of the high volume of water that condenses out of the compressed air (the same reason you must regularly drain the tank).

But I'd be a little concerned about that much oil use! I mean, holy loose-fit, batman, there just ain't no excuse for it to be sucking all that if it was properly filled in the first place. I have been using a Sears twin-cyl compressor since the 1980s, and I sometimes run it a LOT (had to replace the motor on it 15 years ago), and I have NEVER once needed to add oil. Keep a close eye on it and consider returning it for a replacement! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agreed. i have had my non american compressor for about 5 yrs and have only added 2 ounces and that was just for peace of mind as it just seemed a bit low. that was about a year ago and no change in level. if it's under warranty, get it fixed or replaced.

I would be returning the compressor for replacement or refund. The only way a compressor will use oil, assuming there are no leaks, is for the oil to be getting past the rings and going into the air tank. I would think that if the compressor is going through that much oil you would get a lot of milky liquid (mixture of oil and water)coming out of the tank if you open the draincock. The air coming out of your airline will be contaminated with oil so it could not be used for any applications requiring clean air ie. painting, sandblasting...

If you run the air through a drier the desicant material will be also contaminated very quickly.

Just my 2 cents worth but as Goose stated, a new compressor should not be using oil.

Doug

Most compressors take more oil to originally fill them than the amount that comes with ithem I bought a new compressor, and had to buy additional oil to fill it. Check the manual to see how much it holds...

ive had my compressor for about 25 years in my home machine shop. it is a 5 horse v-twin industrial compressor. i leave it on all the time and use mobil1 10-w-30 automotive. i ran it on initial break in for fifteen minutes with no load when i bought it, twenty five years ago, and have changed oil twice. it runs about once every other day if i don't use it cuz of a slow leak. it never uses oil and i use it almost every day. the only time it ever gets shut down is if i go out of town. it has never used oil, and runs like new. last time i changed oil in it was about 10 years ago. it's about due again. we have two, two stage 10 hp. compressors in our machine shop that are tied together on line and run 24 hours a day, 3 shifts. we use automotive oil in them and seldom ever change it. we do drain the tanks on them regularly and have an in line drier. they kick on about every half hour during work hours. compressors are virtually maintenance free. keep the tank drained, clean the air filters, monitor the oil level, and they will run for ever.:2133:

Good news. I pulled the compressor out in the sunlight and looked at the oil level gauge again. Its full. I made a mistake in the way I was looking at it.

I've never had a compressor before and I learned a few things here.

So hopefully I'm good to go. I justified the expense of getting a compressor for my motorcycles saying to myself I could use this for driving a nail gun to do a new roof myself, and for spray painting.

I bought a tire pressure gun with a stem clip-on for it with its own pressure gauge and pressure release, that makes checking and filling the tires much easier.