IGNORED

Brass caps

Kirby

I just want to throw something out here and see what ya'lls answers are. Here goes. How hard is it to put the little brass caps back on the idle mixture screw on the carbs of a 2nd Gen after you make an adjustment??? If you were a dealer, or someone that works on these bikes, would you even bother?? Could you even tell if they have ever been off??? From what I can see they are probably a PITA to get off, much less put back on.

They would be very easy to put back on if the carbs were on the bench, but it would take some trickery to do it on the bike (I'd use a long copper or brass tube flared on the end with the cap hot-glued into it).

Because these stock caps are conical and smooth, it would be virtually impossible to get them off without marring them, and I really don't see any purpose in putting them back on. In fact, when my dealer took mine off to set the carb mixtures under warranty way back when, they didn't even bother to put them back.

Goose

They would be very easy to put back on if the carbs were on the bench, but it would take some trickery to do it on the bike (I'd use a long copper or brass tube flared on the end with the cap hot-glued into it).

Because these stock caps are conical and smooth, it would be virtually impossible to get them off without marring them, and I really don't see any purpose in putting them back on. In fact, when my dealer took mine off to set the carb mixtures under warranty way back when, they didn't even bother to put them back.

Goose

Thanks, this is about what I thought. I was reading about the caps on another thread the other day and it made me think about something that happened right after I bought the bike last year. When I first bought it, it was backfiring, so I took it back to the dealer for them to check it out. The mechanic SAID he richened the mixture up a little because these bikes come from the factory set up on the lean side. Since all this has happened I have synced the carbs and took other means to get rid of the backfiring. Anyway, to make a long story short, I was lying on the floor yesterday looking over the bike with a flashlight and happened to notice the brass caps were still on the carbs and there was absolutely no indication that they had ever been taken off. This was just one more instance of this particular mechanic's saying something he did but now I've come to believe he didn't.