IGNORED

trailer tongue question

Sideoftheroad

I know that many have recommended extending the tongue to 2x the axle length.

I just got back from Myrtle Beach and every bike I saw on the way down and back using a trailer seemed to have very short trailer tongues.

Any thoughts on why what I see is short, while we are recommending to extend it? Could it be that the HF trailers need extended while the ones that I saw were manufactured ones like Aluma?

How is the axle length calculated? From the center of the tire?

The "overall dimensions" of the HF Tag-Along (P/N 66771) is 78" L x 44-1/2" W x 38" H.

Looking at the photo below, it looks like we can conservatively knock off a foot from the Length to get to the tongue length. If the axle length is the center of the tire, you can probably knock off 4" on either side... 8" overall.

So L = 66" and W = 36". L / W = 1.8

Is that close enough? Certainly, it pulls fine up to extra-legal speeds, so I am not worrying. Just cipherin'.

Dave

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3603/4607212129_5110d6f494.jpg

The distance from the ball hitch to the axle should be at least one and a half times the track width (center of tire to center of tire).

Example: a 4' track width x 1.5 = 6' tounge

Never hurt to have a little extra, but too short can leave you disappointed.:happy65:

when I first bought my trailer(homemade) it pulled terrible behing my 91 vr. Did a little checking and the toungue was 43 inches from ball hithch to axle and axle was 48 inches wide. Toungus was way to short for my liking. So I added 4 ft to the lenght of the trailer and now it pulls great. Total lenght of tounge is now just over 91 inches long. I am thinking of putting an extra tupperware type tool box up front to lock up jackets and helmets and the like.

Its raining cats and dogs wright now so when it stops Ill add a pic.

David

Took some measurements tonight. 48" approximately tire center to tire center. Really it was 47 and some change so I just rounded up. Tongue length from end of ball hitch to other end is 55" Taking into account minimum length you want it to be is 72" (1.5 times 48"). So I somehow need to come up with an additional 17". Cheapest way I can come up with is take the hole is it currently mounted to go up 17" and drill new holes. It will be pretty close to the bar that is already at the front of the trailer, but this way will still have 2 bars it will be mounted to. There are 2 holes already there that is closer to the front about 10-11" from the existing hole, but this will still leave me about 6" short of what is recommended.

Other than that, not sure where to get materials to exend the tongue. I did measure the tongue dimensions and it was 2 5/8" W x 2" H.

Still doesn't answer they question, why do the HF trailers seem to need the tongue extended while when travelling to M.B. and back all the manufactured trailers I saw on the road the tongue actually looked really short.

By Brake Pad's illustration, I should be adding the center to center wheel measurement to the 1.5 (48+72) making it a 10' tongue if there isn't torsion setup. That's a pretty long tongue for such a small trailer. Could that be right?

While building my utility trailer which I made 6' wide by 10' long I used a 10% rule. I located the axle 10% more than the half way point towards the rear of the trailer. In other words half the distance was 60" so I located the axle at 66" from the front of the bed of the trailer.

The tongue is made up of two pieces of metal in a "V" formation and was not measured. I used a standard coupler to determine the angle between the "V" tongue and the tongue length ended up what it was. Coupler was approx 50 degrees and in my case it was approx 4' of tongue beyond the trailer bed giving approx 9'-6" from the centre of the axle to the hitch. Bed width of 72" and this happens to be slightly more than 1.5 times the width.

I know it is not a motorcycle trailer but I mention this as this trailer is build solid and tow's like a dream. A buddy of mine borrowed it and did not latch the hitch to the ball and drove it 75 miles unlatched (man he was lucky). If you saw this trailer you will agree it is solid.

Brad

Still doesn't answer they question, why do the HF trailers seem to need the tongue extended while when travelling to M.B. and back all the manufactured trailers I saw on the road the tongue actually looked really short.

By Brake Pad's illustration, I should be adding the center to center wheel measurement to the 1.5 (48+72) making it a 10' tongue if there isn't torsion setup. That's a pretty long tongue for such a small trailer. Could that be right?

I had a harbor freight trailer with a car top carrier, and it pulled just find and never needed to be extended. I also installed and carried a cooler on the tongue, so maybe my tongue weight was always heavy enough that it didn't matter as much.

I interpreted his illustration as saying that you needed 2.5x the axle width.

"If axle is 40 inches, then tongue should be 100 inches from center axle"

100 / 40 = 2.5

From my guesstimate of the axle length (36"), you get

36 x 2.5 = 90

90" is considerably more than my guess of a 66" long tongue. However, it is much less than the 10' you derived.

I can say that the trailer pulls very well with no problems. I was advised to load it with the heavy stuff up front, so maybe that is the reason it pulls so well. Maybe?

Dave

Just throwing this out here.......my Cyclemate CM1000 has an center x center wheel width of 36".

From center of axle to center of towing ball is 52".

That is very close to the 1 1/2 times, axle to tongue ratio mentioned above.

I finally got a chance to tow this trailer on a 400 mile trip last week. With about 100 lbs of cargo and an 18 lb tongue weight, the bike loaded and two up, it pulled perfect all the way up to 85 mph. No wiggle, bounce or sway. I was impressed.

Stability of the trailer is what I was told the increase is for. The tongue that comes with the Tag-along trailer is 4', I extended to 7' and it is extremely stable. The added length also quieted down the reverb from the exhaust off the bike. Hope this helps.:thumbsup2: I changed to 2"X2"X1/8" wall tubing, also had to change hitch to one made for 2" tube.

Stability of the trailer is what I was told the increase is for. The tongue that comes with the Tag-along trailer is 4', I extended to 7' and it is extremely stable. The added length also quieted down the reverb from the exhaust off the bike. Hope this helps.:thumbsup2: I changed to 2"X2"X1/8" wall tubing, also had to change hitch to one made for 2" tube.

Showoff!!:rasberry::stickpoke:

...The added length also quieted down the reverb from the exhaust off the bike...

Good point. While my Tag-Along trails very nicely, I did get some loud reverb when I put a larger cooler on the tongue. It wasn't bad with a small or no cooler. I'm planning on switching back to the quieter stock pipes when I take a long trip. Loud sounds are incompatible with long trips.

Dave

I just did a google search. Honestly don't remember what key words I used but found a local place and called them. The smallest they have stock is 2" x 3" x 1/8" thick. For a 6' piece it will cost $20. They don't do powdercoat but for an additional $5-$10 they will paint it black for me.

So this leads me to other questions.

Not sure if the HF coupler will accept a 3" or not. Anyone know?

Is 1/8" wall thickness, thick enough?

I just did a google search. Honestly don't remember what key words I used but found a local place and called them. The smallest they have stock is 2" x 3" x 1/8" thick. For a 6' piece it will cost $20. They don't do powdercoat but for an additional $5-$10 they will paint it black for me.

So this leads me to other questions.

Not sure if the HF coupler will accept a 3" or not. Anyone know?

Is 1/8" wall thickness, thick enough?

When I built my pull behind trailer I coated the entire thing top to bottom front to back with the DIY roll on truck bed liner.

I extended the tongue on my Time Out camper 24 inches for two reasons. It lightened the weight on the ball almost 50%, and gave me room for a tongue box. I need to do it to the Piggy Backer, and the Roll-A-Home camper too,,, The tongue weight on the camper is 75+#. Pulls great but heavy. Guess I could leave some crap home,,,:confused24: