IGNORED

tsukayu jumbo strong bags

sgtjcj

So I bought my new RSTD and some bonehead promptly rear ended me 3 weeks later. It crushed the fender and both saddlebags. I am debating about getting the tsukayu jumbo strong bags instead of the stock ones. They have 25% more volume than stock. Has anybody put these on their bike? I saw a Royal on the website with them, but was hoping somebody here has first hand experience.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I've had Tsukayu Jumbo's on my Vulcan a number of years back...I say, do not waste your money on the Tsukayu's. I personally do not like how they are made. Stick with OEM hard bags, you'll be happier in the long run. :backinmyday:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I did the Tsukayu bags. They are almost the same exact length, height, and angles as the originals. They are a tad wider, but the way I mounted them, they stick out almost exactly the same as stock.

I had decided to buy a Corbin seat and backrest. This eliminated the need for the stock removable one. This was good. With the stock backrest and sidearms in place, the Tsukayu bags would have made the bike about 3" wider. I took off the stock backrest and hardware leaving the chrome pieces that connect to the fender and bag supports. The only semi permanent damage I had to do was take off the 6mm pin that the side arms lock to. This was easy enough with a pair of vice grips. A couple of bends back and forth, up and down, and they snapped right off below the surface.

Next, after assembling the bags, I checked fit to the stock bag supports. I put some bolts into the stock mounting holes on the bike and set the box where I wanted it. Gave the box a little jiggle to scratch where the bolts were and the holes needed to be. I drilled the boxes where they were scratched. The bags needed to be stood off from the bolt holes a little. I used the rubber mounts from the old bags as spacers.

I spent no extra money on mounting parts, and didn't use any that came with the bags.

I was shocked at how well they fit using the stock supports. I thought I was going to have to take off the front bag rails, but they fit perfect as well.

If anybody finds themselves in a similar situation where you have to replace the stock bags, don't buy the Yamaha ones. These are bigger by 25%, half the price, fit just as well, are fiberglass not ABS, and are much much stronger.

Here are some pics.

IMAG0053

IMAG0052

IMAG0051

IMAG0050

They do look pretty good. I hope you can give us an update when you get a few thousand miles on them.

What are the white blotches on the back bottom of the bag?

Dave

Edited by Dave77459
asked question.