IGNORED

Kentucky helmet law question......

Iowawegian

Heading to Kentucky this summer with the boys.

Just want to make sure I understand the helmet law down there.....Looks like no helmet required for anyone over 21 ....unless.....you've had your license less than a year.

Am I understanding that right? :think:

(Our oldest son just got his license last week)

You are correct.

Kentucky first enacted a motorcycle helmet law for all riders in 1968. This law

was amended in July 1998 to require helmet use only by:

Motorcycle operators and passengers under the age of 21;

Motorcycle operators who possess a motorcycle instruction permit;

Motorcycle operators who have had an operator’s license for less than one year.

Dennis

Karen and I rode through KY a few weeks ago and 90 percent of the riders we saw were without helmets. We always wear ours, and were surprised to see so many on the interstate without them.

You're right. My wife and I commented on that yesterday while we were out. I think it was higher than 90% without.

Helmet always!

Dennis

You're right. My wife and I commented on that yesterday while we were out. I think it was higher than 90% without.

Helmet always!

Dennis

We rode a few miles, all small secondary roads yesterday and out of the 30 or so motorcycles we saw, Tina and I were the only ones wearing helmets. And of the rest of the people we saw, at least 50% of them had passengers with tank tops and shorts. I cringe at the thought of some young person wearing such on a motorcycle. If they could only see some of the pictures and people we've seen who were dressed like that when they fell off their bikes. I guess to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Wife and I did almost 300 miles today and saw a BUNCH of bikes, but as noted, helmets were very scarece 'till we got to Tenn. Even there, saw a bunch of young folks (and a few old farts!) wearing helmets but shorts/tank tops and flipflops....sheesh. It really scares me, especially the young and obviously "limited experienced" riders. I've spent a good many years working in hospitals, and skin grafts have NO appeal to me! The ones that really bug me are the guys with a helmet being "worn" by their sissy bar:hihi:

Guest seuadr
I guess to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

sad, but true.

i tried to explain this to a friend of a friend who is a hardcore "pirate" and letting his daughter ride with nothing but shorts and a tank and some tennis shoes.

its sad. i pray that nothing happens..

:(

My dad always said "experience is the best teacher".

After a few "experiences" of my own, I decided it would be a lot easier on my body and pocket book by listening to the advice of others as well as educating myself.

As many of you already know, three weeks ago, I slid 43 feet on my face, unconscious... after being struck by a deer. The only thing that saved me was my joe rocket mesh jacket and my HJC full face...

I for one will ALWAYS wear helmet.

:12101: er... just not this leather one...:rotfl:

Last summer I went to Breaks State Park, which overlaps KY and VA. I came in from the KY side and met many riders without helmets. Just before I got to the VA line I was passed by a couple of loud HD's with riders with no helmets. Just after passing into VA, I rounded a curve and there in a pulloff was the two HD's with VA State Troopers doing a license check. The troopers had the HD's pulled over to the side and as I pulled up to the trooper checking the line of vehicles, he was nice to me as he could be, even joking a little. I would say the HD riders got nailed for several things as you could hear them coming from a mile away.

So, if you do ride in KY or SC, make sure you put your helmet on before crossing the state line as the LEO's are looking for this.

RandyA