IGNORED

Surrender

ibents

I know that we have many active and retired military personnel on this site and I thought that this might be a piece of history that may intereset you.

Ian

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vcnH_kF1zXc&feature=player_embedded

This is the official film made of the surrender ceremony of the Japanese to McArthur in Tokyo Bay Sept 1945, with the actual voice of the General.

Apparently this has never been shown to the general public before.

I read McArthur's autobiography recently, and my opinion of him changed from a negative one as him as a warmonger (based on what I had previously believed his zeal to use nuclear weapons in Korea) to one of admiration. he was a military realist who apparently told it like it was.

At the end of the major fighting, he was told to imprison the Japanese Emperor by the US War Department. He said, ok, I'll require more divisions, and large scale replacements for 2 more years, plus all necessary supplies to continue the war.

Thanks for the YouTube link.

Since watching the Finale of HBO miniseries of The Pacific recently, this made a very good second Finale to the series. Thanks!

All veterans, those who will become veterans and those that are veterans of the kind that did not make it back, I have a great deal of respect for all of you!

Since watching the Finale of HBO miniseries of The Pacific recently, this made a very good second Finale to the series. Thanks!

All veterans, those who will become veterans and those that are veterans of the kind that did not make it back, I have a great deal of respect for all of you!

I to watched the finale of the series Pacific and did not know that it was based on some actual marines, it was quite moving to see the pictures of the men portrayed in the movie and could not imagine what they went through.

Ian

Thanks for posting that. My dad was in Tokyo Bay aboard the Brittish battleship HMS King George V during the signing. Quite a few years later I had the honor and privilege to serve aboard USS Missouri (BB-63). I crossed over the area where the surrender was signed numerous times (there's a plaque there commemerating the event), and each and every time I was in awe of the history that took place there.