IGNORED

Valve cover leak fix....easy!

I am sure there are a few on here that have dealt with leaky valve covers. My 83 with 122,000 miles on it have the original valve cover gaskets. I did do a valve clearance check years ago, but still used the same gaskets. Mine has gotten so bad that it was normal to have a couple of drips off the engine while parked. I also had oil residue on about everything, even my shoes.

So, here is how I fixed it. One of the characteristics that was used on the valve covers was using shoulder bolts. This limits the amount of torque or squeeze that can be put on the gaskets and also keeps everything uniform. This is not a bad idea as long as the gaskets have some spring left in them.

What I did was I stopped by an auto parts store and bought a buck or so of 1/32nd thick gasket material. I then removed the side covers and the plastic covers that sit on top of the valve covers. I then removed the two outside bolts on the valve cover. I put the bolts in a vice and using a screw driver, pulled the rubber seals off along with the metal washer. Using a hole punch, I made a hole in the gasket material slightly smaller than the bulge on the bolt. I also took scissors and trimmed the outside diameter about the same size as the washer. I then put the gasket on the bolt, then the washer and then the seal. After I seated the seal, I then screwed the bolt back into the valve cover hole, snugging it down, but not bottoming the bolt. I then removed the other two bolts on that side and put gaskets on them. After all eight bolts were back in place, I tightened them down until the shoulder bolt bottomed out. This actually caused oil to squeeze out around the cover gasket. After I tightened all eight bolts, I replaced the plastic cover and went to the other head. After doing this last week, I have put about 300 miles on the bike and the engine is still clean of oil residue and my shoes are also clean. This is not a hard job, costs a buck or so and it works.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Hey Randy I'm getting ready to go to town now (big trip for me) I think I'll see if I can find some washers to do that with?? Should work. Maybe a fiber washer?

Actually, you could probably get by with metal washers as the top washer does not have a seal on it around the bolt. The stem of the bolt is sealed by the inside diameter of the seal when it is squeezed down. Just don't get too thick of a washer. 1/32nd worked good using the gasket material. I would not suggest any thicker than that and if using metal washers, maybe a little thinner to be able to bottom the shoulder bolt.

The great thing about this is you do not have to remove the valve covers. I suspect this fix will correct the vast majority on our valve cover leaks. So far it sure has fixed mine and mine was pretty bad.

RandyA

As I did mine, I think it is the only way to do it.

My quote was: "After I tightened all eight bolts, I replaced the plastic cover and went to the other head." That meant I did eight bolts on each head.

RandyA

OK misunderstood. I thought you were just doing outside rim. Gonna try washers. have them that fit snuggly inside the chrome washer on top. So I will be putting them between chrome washer and rubber instead of between bolt head and chrome washer. It will be bolt head, chrome washer, new washer then rubber seal. New washer fits inside lip on chrome washer.

OK misunderstood. I thought you were just doing outside rim. Gonna try washers. have them that fit snuggly inside the chrome washer on top. So I will be putting them between chrome washer and rubber instead of between bolt head and chrome washer. It will be bolt head, chrome washer, new washer then rubber seal. New washer fits inside lip on chrome washer.

Sounds good. Do you know how thick the washers are that you got? If too thick and you try to bottom the shoulder bolt, you may have a problem.

RandyA

A little less than 1/16 inch. Have to try them and see.

I know that when using 1/32nd gasket material, mine got real tight a turn or so before the shoulder bolt bottomed out. The other problem with anything over 1/32nd is it will cause the seal to be spread too much over the gulge on the bolt when it should clear it. It can be difficult to get the bolt/seal back into the cover if the seal is swelled out.

RandyA

... I would clean them off, even wash them with soap and water ... then use rubber rejouvenator from an office supply business, ... like Office Depot. I do that on all my rubber parts on my 86 VR. about once ever 2 years. Sun just dries them out; for the valve rubber seals, the heat it seems to me would do the same. MIne last one of that product cost me $5.95, some years ago; lasts a long time.

Just my :2cents::2cents::mo money: