IGNORED

stock vs clearview vs other

Orrin

I have to replace the windshield on my 05 Tour Deluxe. The insurance is paying for it so cost is not a factor. I am considering the Clearview shield because it has been talked about here so much. I wear an open face helmet and did not mind looking throuh the stock shield. I am intrigued by the extra width of the Clearview, but am concerned about having to look through the top curve of the Clearview. So far rain and mist have not been big visibility problems for me.

A search has not revealed any comparisons between the stock and the Clearview. So far most of the threads I have read those who have gone to the Clearview was because of cost. Looking forward to your valued opinions.

It is becoming clear to me that while healing up I have way to much time on my hands. Hope I am not driving others nuts.

Orrin, I hope you heal quickly and get back to riding. I bought a Clearview this past year and have enjoyed it. Price was a factor but the quality of the shield is great and I appreciate the extra width (especially in the cold). The only down side that has been mentioned, is the lead time required to get it delivered. If you have the patience, save a few pennies on the windshield and get something else for the bike.

I've been looking at the Clearview as well. You don't have to buy the recurve feature if you don't want it (I wouldn't). I'm looking at it for the extra width and the taller shield. I look over the existing shield with no problem. I taped a 1 1/2 inch piece of cardboard to the top of mine to see what the extra height would do and I think I can look over the taller shield as well. The extra width and height could reduce the buffeting somewhat. If that doesn't work I may have to upgrade to the Venture. Mamma is getting used to the idea of spending weekends on the bike. I think I could sell her on the Venture upgrade if I could get her to sit on one.

My only concern with the wider shield on the RSTD is interferrence with the throttle cable. My cable rubs on the stock shield, and I think the wider one will rub up against the throttle cable adjusters. I think I can minimize that by rotating the throttle cable houseing a little, and putting a standoff spacer there if necessary.

If you go with the Clearview be sure to post your review after you put a few miles on it.

Hope everything heals up like new.

Guest KitCarson
I have to replace the windshield on my 05 Tour Deluxe. The insurance is paying for it so cost is not a factor. I am considering the Clearview shield because it has been talked about here so much. I wear an open face helmet and did not mind looking throuh the stock shield. I am intrigued by the extra width of the Clearview, but am concerned about having to look through the top curve of the Clearview. So far rain and mist have not been big visibility problems for me.

A search has not revealed any comparisons between the stock and the Clearview. So far most of the threads I have read those who have gone to the Clearview was because of cost. Looking forward to your valued opinions.

It is becoming clear to me that while healing up I have way to much time on my hands. Hope I am not driving others nuts.

We are already nuts, you cannot hurt us none.:rotf::rotf::sign20: Kit

I purchased my clearview in August and took a 5000 mile trip. I could not be happier. The shield performed well. I have the 19 inch with the curve and the vent. I think the clearview is much easier to see through during a rain storm, and the vent helps keep you cool. I kept the stock shield just in case I did not like the clearview. If someone needs a stock shield let me know.

Guest KitCarson

I can only speak for my 2007 Venture factory windshield. I have ordered a tinted clearview with the vent. I eagerly await this. As for the stock shield, I hate it, with a passion. Why is it so darn tall? The only answer I can get that makes any sense is it was to help protect the passenger as the ride up is a little high. I have asked Sandy about it over and over, she says in fact she can feel more air buffet on this one than some of the other ones I have had. I know it tries to lift my helmet off my head, air hits me from one side then the other, seems to curl just right into the still pocket and aggravate me to death. It also has a rainbow on each side all the time.....a lot of distortion, I think from the curve of the design. I am 5 foot 11 3/4 inches tall....200 pounds and normal build. I hear some say they can look over theirs.....I might be able to if I sat on a concrete block.......it is a full 4 inches over my line of sight. I do not slouch either, sit straight up,,,,,do ride a bit back maybe. Like the rear curve of the seat...supports my back.....I do like a windshield at or just below eye level, I like to see over it....would rather have an even air flow than all that buffeting.

I do know several members who have said they love their clearview and it is of high quality.

My two cents worth.......I hate the factory shield, absolutely. Kit oh please excuse me for using the word hate....I really do not hate anyone or anything....just extremely aggravated with this silly windshield.