IGNORED

A Trip For The Troops

silverdeer0454

Just a news article in our local newspaper that I thought others may like to know about. The web site is located at:

http://www.wegotyour6.southernwebsolution.net

The full article can be seen at:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100503/NEWS01/705039903#Marysville.mans.9000-mile.fundraising.ride.is.for.the.troops

MARYSVILLE — Frank McAtee is going to sleep on the ground for three weeks, without so much as a camping pad under his sleeping bag.

He'll spend more than $1,000 on gas. He's asking his metallic purple 1987 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide — which already has seen 108,000 miles — to carry him around the perimeter of the nation, to roll another 9,000 miles under her aging wheels.

McAtee doesn't have to do any of this, but he's doing it anyway.

He's doing it for the troops. Not just for those engaged in war, but for all the men and women in uniform.

“Someone should do something to show 'em the little guy in America still has got their backs,” he said. “It doesn't matter what the politics are.”

He leaves today.

McAtee, 50, served in the Marine Corps from 1977 to 1982. The idea for his trip came to him after the shootings in Fort Hood, Texas, last November that left 13 people dead and 30 wounded, he said.

McAtee will collect donations along the way for the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society and the USO, two worldwide organizations that provide financial assistance and other help to military personnel and their families.

He's already personally collected about $500, he said. He's selling pins that say, “We've Got Your 6” and “9,000 miles across America,” for $5 each. The “6” is military lingo for the area behind one's back.

I signed up at his website and will be donating as well.

:rudolf:

silverdeer

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't heard about it. My wife already signed us up, bought a bunch of pins, donated to the gas fund and offered our yard up for his tent. We are going to keep a watch out as he gets close and hopefully ride a ways with him.

The videos are outstanding. We should all have had the Pledge taught to us by Red Skeltons teacher. I learned mine from my dad, who showed me what it means to be an American.

Please help with a donation, and if you can't remember those who gave there all on Memorial Day. Keep this Marine in your thoughts and prayers for a safe trip. He has touched us with his efforts

Sonnyboy

Father of one who gave his all, brother to another

Semper Fidelis

You have done noble things Boomer. Your Extended Patriot Guard service is noble indeed. Coupled with your Navy service, the extra's would just be gravy on what you have done already.

You have my families gratitude for your Navy service and our appreciation for your Patriot Guard duties. The honors that you give to all who have served and are serving are noble indeed. As a family who has recieved them it means more then you will ever know.

You have done noble things Boomer. Your Extended Patriot Guard service is noble indeed. Coupled with your Navy service, the extra's would just be gravy on what you have done already.

You have my families gratitude for your Navy service and our appreciation for your Patriot Guard duties. The honors that you give to all who have served and are serving are noble indeed. As a family who has recieved them it means more then you will ever know.

Thanks for that. Believe me there are those who have done so much more....I know their names well and weep everytime I see them on The Wall.

Boomer