IGNORED

rear brake caliper replacement.

Looks like I am going to have to have it rebuilt, replaced, something. It was my fault, I didn't get the pucks cleaned off enough when I replaced the pads and one of them is now sticking slightly. So now I am going to pay. They do work as is, but unless I want to go through a couple sets of pads in a riding season and to prevent any future issues, I should get it fixed. One of the puck edges has a slight angle to it. Just enough to cause uneven/premature pad wear.

Pinwall has some for $25-$30. Would you trust it? After all it is used and makes you wonder what happened to the bike for it be end up in a salvage yard. Llike a rear brake failure causing an accident.

I know skydoc has a setup but the price is way too much for me and I just need a rear setup. I know the R1 is more or less a racing bike and brakes designed as such but my concern is the R1 is alot lighter than a Venture. The R1 brakes weren't designed to handle a Venture. I know, I know, all the lawyer speak, liability and such. If we listened to it all, no one would put car tires on a bike either, but let's not get into that discussion.

Checked the parts page and entire assembly is $340. Piston assembly by itself is $113 for 1 and $86 for the other but it says it is on backorder. Looks like seals by themselves is $60.

Any suggestions?

I have my old one that I don;t need cause I made bike a trike, Never let me down. see ad in classifieds, not for $30, but not from any junk yard, may even come with new pads if I have them.

There you go. Take jonesy's caliper. I wouldn't be afraid of a used caliper.

I'd put R1 calipers on the front before I put them on the back. The rear doesn't really need the caliper upgrade at all. The stock one does fine. But I definitely recommend R1 calipers and matching M/C for the front. I have them. The braking power is incredible.

I have the R1 caliper set, SS lines and VMAX splitter, but the stock Master. Brake performance has improved at least 35% over stock. I just rebuilt my rear caliperand added an SS line also. Much improved too.

Thanks. I did end up buying jonesy's caliper. Just have to get some $$$ together to get it replaced. Just bought a new tranny pan for my chevelle, so back to broke again.

Since I can't trust myself at this point to do something easy like brake pad replacement, ain't gonna attempt this.

Question for you though. The add says 4 pistons on the R1. The Venture already has 4. So for an R1 is that 4 per side while the Venture is 2/side?

Edited by Sideoftheroad

Thanks. I did end up buying jonesy's caliper. Just have to get some $$$ together to get it replaced. Just bought a new tranny pan for my chevelle, so back to broke again.

Since I can't trust myself at this point to do something easy like brake pad replacement, ain't gonna attempt this.

Question for you though. The add says 4 pistons on the R1. The Venture already has 4. So for an R1 is that 4 per side while the Venture is 2/side?

The front two calipers on the R1 have a total of 4 pistons per caliper opposed to the current design with 2 pistons per caliper. You are correct in that the rear calipers have a total of 4 pistons in it already.

Hope that helps.