This may have been posted here but I am trying to bid on one and I need to know if the ignition switch out of an 84 will fit and 88 venture. I also need to know if I can get the tumblers out of the new switch without the key. There is no key for the switch I am trying to buy and I want to put my old key back in so they are still keyed right.

It will if the 84 that it is coming out of had the class system.

The class system equipped bikes have a 3 conductor plug for the 'auxiliary' wires.

Non class bikes have a 2 conductor plug.

You can make the switch work either way, but you would need to dis-assemble the bottom and swap out the contact plate. The internals are the same.

I can send you pictures if you get the switch and need to modify it.

The tumblers can be swapped out by a locksmith fairly easily, I believe. To do it yourself you would need the key to pull the tumbler cartridge out. There is a small ball & spring in there that is a pain to put back in.

Gary

how do i tell difference?

The top pair of plugs in the first image attached is from a bike without a CLASS system (Computer Leveling Air Suspension System).

Note the connector on the top right is a 2 pin plug.

The bottom pair of plugs in the first image is from a bike with a CLASS system.

Note the connector on the bottom right is a 3 pin plug. This extra pin is to power the class system when key switch is in ACC position.

Second image attached is of the contact plate on the set with CLASS.

This contact plate and wires can be swapped between key units. I just did this on my bike. I wanted to keep the same keying, but had swapped wiring harness's & added a CLASS system during the rebuild this winter.

Gary

Your best bet is to take the lock assembly to a locksmith with the key you want it to be keyed to.

The locksmith can use special tools to turn (and unlock) the cylinder. From there, he should be able to get the tumblers out and swapped.

My father-in-law fixes locks and things of that sort for his profession..and showed me how to get the helmet locks apart (not to different from the ignition cylinder).

Unfortunately, he showed me AFTER I had already cut the locking arm as I didn't have a key!

Your best bet is to take the lock assembly to a locksmith with the key you want it to be keyed to.

The locksmith can use special tools to turn (and unlock) the cylinder. From there, he should be able to get the tumblers out and swapped.

My father-in-law fixes locks and things of that sort for his profession..and showed me how to get the helmet locks apart (not to different from the ignition cylinder).

Unfortunately, he showed me AFTER I had already cut the locking arm as I didn't have a key!

If you check the back side of the ignition switch housing the key code and blank code are there. No need to pull anything. Take the #'s to the locksmith and he'll be able to cut a key....

I don't want a new key. My housing to my original is broken. I want to get a different housing and then take my tumblers out of the old housing and put into the new one because I want to keep everything keyed the same. The reason I was asking is because I don't know about motorcycles and I know on a car you have to turn the key a certain way in order to get the tumblers to come out. I want to make sure I don't have to do the same thing with a motorcycle before I go and buy a used one without a key. I don't want to have to get a key cut for the lock just to get the tumblers out so I can put mine back in. I still want the one key to ft all my lock which i have now.