IGNORED

Yamaha Service REALLY is a pain

I ordered the Light Bar Bracket from Tony on here and today when I thought I would at least loosen the bolts that holds the light bar on...I barely could get the right one out...but it finally broke loose and I was able to unscrew it.

But the left one was already slighly worn out...and it is so tight I can't get it. Now the 5mm hex key can't get a good hold in the bolt.

Why would they tighten those THAT tight...especially when they are so hard to get to. I even bought a set of ball end hex wrenches.

So, short of taking the thing back to the dealer to put the bracket on...anyone got any ideas as to a way to remove this wollared out bolt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wally

Drill the head off and go to Lowes and buy new bolts. Simple, quickest way to deal with it. You need to go buy some bolts anyway if you are installing a adapter to move the passing lights out away from the fairing.

Good luck with it...

Try driving in a Torx bit. I've had pretty good luck with that approach on a few of the damaged hex head.

Drive a bit in and then use a hand impact to work it out. I like the hand impact as it drives the bit into the bolt as you hit it. Helps hold the bite.

When I installed the light bar extension bracket I re-tapped the bolts and used some lock tite blue. Worked fine. It's hard to get a tap into the mounting holes in the forks.

You might try removing the fairing so as to get a better angle and grip on the bolt.

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't let Yamaha touch anything on my ride unless absolutely necessary. They dented my gas tank and then would not admit it. Mother Yamaha got a nice letter also. I got stuck buying a new tank. Not cheap. Will never buy anything from Ridenow Powersports.

hh

Edited by hoghead

I know what you're going through, I had the same problem with mine..

I took the fairing off and held it out of the way.. I could not remove the fairing completely until I took the light bar off, so I was stuck because one of the bolts was chewed up.

Once I had the fairing up and tucked aside, I was able to get a proper hex took in there, or as someone suggested, a torx bit and get a straight on bite into the bolt head.

To install the new bolts on through the adapter, I actually took a dremel tool and ate away part of the inner fairing shroud to get a cleaner access to the bolt holes so that the tools or bolts themselves won't be forced in at a wrong angle.. Mine were stripped because someone couldn't get the right angle on the bolt and forced it anyway.. what a mess.

I couldn't bolt the adapter on the normal way so I used a smaller diameter bolt, but a longer one and with washers and lock nuts was able to bolt the adapter on solid with easy of access, ease of removal and no fear of it coming loose again.. ever again..

Perfect.. it works for me..

OK...guys...I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer...so I'll just come right out and ask...

I need 4 bolts right?

What sizes will I need and are two of the bolts one size and the other two another size?

Remember, I am getting the mounting bracket from Tony.

Thanks for the clarity.

Wally

You will need 4 total bolts; two hex heads that go through the deep holes on the bracket and into the frame on the bike and the other two are for mounting your light bar onto the new bracket.

I used a newer, cleaner, unstripped SS version of the Hex Cap bolts that came with my lights to attach the bracket to the bike and then I went to Home Depot and got a couple of 3/8NC stainless steel bolts with flat washer and lock washers to install the light bar to the bracket! Think the bolts were ¾” long! In your case since the heads of your existing bolts are stripped, they are an easy match replacement.

If you look in the tech section there is a photo layout to install the bracket and light bar!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1656

Edited by Two Tone White

3/8 by 3/4 inch NC thread. I found button head bolts (ace hardware) which look much better. I used a inside star lock washer. Can't think what they are really called. Inner lock washer maybe?

Not sure of the stock metric bolts.

hh