IGNORED

2nd Gen RSV Battery

I am in the process of replacing my battery. I hooked up the Argus Battery Bug this past weekend and it indicated that my battery has 22% life left. The Bug's instructions say at the 10% warning alarm imminent failure at anytime, replace battery immediately. Anyway, I have been looking at the Deka ext20L. In the process I see the Big Crank ext20L appearing to be the same battery. Are the Deka and the Big Crank batteries made by the same manufacture in Pennsylvania? :puzzled:

I am in the process of replacing my battery. I hooked up the Argus Battery Bug this past weekend and it indicated that my battery has 22% life left. The Bug's instructions say at the 10% warning alarm imminent failure at anytime, replace battery immediately. Anyway, I have been looking at the Deka ext20L. In the process I see the Big Crank ext20L appearing to be the same battery. Are the Deka and the Big Crank batteries made by the same manufacture in Pennsylvania? :puzzled:

Hello Chinto. If you haven't hooked your Argus Battery Bug on your battery, did your battery give you any indication (as you crank the starter) that the battery is nearing its useful like? :scratchchin:

Hello Chinto. If you haven't hooked your Argus Battery Bug on your battery, did your battery give you any indication (as you crank the starter) that the battery is nearing its useful like? :scratchchin:

No, It has started normally the entire time. The only thing that I have noticed is that it takes a lot longer time for the Battery Tender to bring the battery charge up to full charge. In the past the battery would almost immediately be showing full charge anytime I would plug the Battery Tender in.

Since I hooked up the Battery Bug I can watch the voltage slowly drop as the bike sits. Since the battery is 5+ years old I was worried it was becoming weak.

After I install the new battery I will watch the Bug to see if the new battery's charge is drained as a clue that maybe the charging system may have a problem and then get that tested. I am hoping that the old battery just needs replacing.

:mo money:

Good thought. That is true, the charging system may have a problem and is not properly charging the battery each and every ride. Since your old battery has been in use for over 5 years, there is no doubt in my mind that it is just your battery that needed to be replaced. Ride Safe.

Chinto, the older batteries seem to charge up much faster on the Battery Tender than the newer AGM type batteries. My original Yuasa almost always went to green within 10 minutes whereas replacement AGM batteries take several hours longer to fully charge. Just wondering if there is a relationship there or not.....:smile5:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a follow up to earlier posts, but thanks to the Battery Bug I installed with the new battery I was able to monitor the charging system which was in fact bad. The longer I rode the lower the voltage on the battery would get to the point the Bug's alarms would sound indicating low battery voltage. Not having any previous experience with this I did not know what normal was until I talked with Ruffy. I compared his running numbers to mine which made it very clear something was wrong. I took the bike to the dealer this week for testing and was advised that both the stator and the rectifier were "burned out". So the parts are on order and should get it back next week. Thanks to the Bug I avoided a road side failure. I am glad I added the Battery Bug because now the first sign of voltage drop I'll spot it right away.

The Battery Bug gets a :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Any pics of where you installed your Battery Bug? I'm going to order one very soon.

Here are some photos of were I placed the Battery Bug. Now that the stator has been replaced (under warranty) the Bug is showing normal charging voltage numbers. The Bug is only attached with Velcro so I can easily pull the Bug out of the way to view the brake port glass or other maintenance needs. Great product. I highly recommend it.

:thumbsup2:

OK, I am in the same boat. My battery is almost 5 years old and the bike starts just like it did when it was new. Now you guys are talking about bad charging systems and such. My first question is --What is a battery bug? and where do I get one?--do I really need one? I never put my bike on a battery tender since I ride almost every day. I have only had to charge my battery one time since I bought it in December 2005 and that was because I had some health issues and I did not start my bike for a couple of months. With all this said--do I need to replace my battery before I take off for Maintenance Day?:confused07:

You could use a volt meter to find out if your battery is at full charge (~12.9+) with bike turned off. Then get a reading with the bike running. If your charging system is running properly the volt meter will read 13.5+ while the bike is running. If you see the same reading while bike is running on the volt meter as with the bike off, you should have your charging system (stator/rectifier) tested. That was what was happening on my bike plus the voltage would gradually become less has I continued to ride the bike. That is basically what the Battery Bug does real time 24/7, it monitors the voltage of the battery and charging system while your riding.

Google B[]Argus Battery Bug[/b] to get all the details of this product. :080402gudl_prv: