MKI is the Venture that was built from 83 through 85. They had the smaller saddle bags and the 1200 engine.

In 85 they redesigned and make the saddle bags larger and more square/rectangle and they increased the engine size to 1300. This would be the MKII and it was built from 85 to 93.

For a further history of the Venture click the Venture history link on the blue line at the top of the page.

AS I understand it, the MKI (mark 1 or "early variant) is the 1200 (83-85) with the 83 being a bit apart (no gear selection indicator, no fuel petcock, different pressure sensor). They all had removeable saddle bags. The 85 introduced a much bigger, removeable top trunk. The 83 and 84s often had a problem with lower rear frame cracks and the 83, 84 and early 85s also had a problem of a soft transmission thrust washer that would (at around 50,000 miles) lead to the tranny popping out of 2nd gear.

The MKII (86-93) saw a fixed frame and thrust washer and introduced the 1300 engine and larger, fixed saddle bags. The carb intake also increased by 1 mm.

I would almost call the 84 and 85 units MKIa with enough minor differences in the 83 to make it a stand alone year.

I don't think that's correct. I know of several '83 models that had the frame problem. I thought it was corrected AFTER the '83 models.

I think Bob had a typo, that he missed before posting. :2cents: