IGNORED

CCW Holders?

YoungBlood

Sounds like everyone has common sense on gun safety. I enjoy guns, do not have one right now though. I used to carry a 45 cap and ball black powder pistol and a 54 caliber black powder rifle.

I also had the ruger 9mm p85 when they first came out. had several 44 and 22 convertibles.

I tend to get very twitchy when I am around people that have never had a gun safety course, what I mean by that is a friend of mine bought a bb gun for his boy and I see nothing wrong with that but I had a real big problem with the boy aiming it at me and even my freind just aiming it anywhere... I got pissed and said "damn I cant get that damn gun out of my face can I".. his reply was that "it is just a bb gun" i was like yes of course it can only go thru my eye ball once. I do not "play" with guns at all. I have alot of respect for them and appreciate everyone else who does the same.

What is really odd about society is that there are more people carrying guns now than ever but yet people still cut you off, flip you off, do stupid sh*t in traffic, I mean is there a death wish somewhere or what...

I really wish my bike was in road condition to go to the next ride but looks like I will have to wait just a bit. Mainly forks and tires is my problem but oh well... But my honda v65 sabre is in road condition if you all dont mind a honda until i get the venture ready.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WE ALL NEED TO REMEMBER...only use the firearm where nothing else will work.

Walk away if you can. I know it is hard with some folks acting stupid and really testing you. Never resort to the deadly weapon in anger. If you carry a weapon you need to be in control of yourself and your emotions at all times.

Most of the time you probably should never use it to defend property (Property = wallet, wheels on your car, or bike) unless it is inside your home. Inside the home is a little different. Most states do not require you to retreat from your home if someone is threating your life. In some states you have the responsiblity to retreat on the street and in your home.

Know the laws of your state or the state you are in at the time...hopefully you have training that taught you the laws before you start carring a deadly weapon. You need to know what you can and cannot do.

Is it worth paying a lawyer thousands and thousands of dollars to keep your butt out of jail when your life or the life of your loved ones may not have actually been in danger, cause you cannot totally convince a jury of your peers that you were about to loose your life.

You need to make sure your opponent has the ability, means and intentions to cause you or a loved one deadly harm. Meet force with equal force. A black eye or knocked out teeth is not deadly force unless you are of the weaker sex (woman) or there are multiple bad guys or he is really really big and you are an old man maybe with a cane. A guy in a wheel chair with a baseball bat may have the intent and means but he does not have the abilty...you can walk away from him to avoid the danger.

Masaad Ayoob used (or may still do) to carry a book of matches with a $5 bill wrapped around it to toss to the bad guys he encountered and tell them to go buy them selves a drink, hoping they would go on thier way rather than having to kill them cause they were robbing or about to try to mug him. This set him up in the courts that he tried to pay them to leave.

With the judges sitting on the bench now days and the DA's that are in office plus what you could get as a jury...you need make sure you are justified in the use of deadly force. If you pull out a deadly weapon (knife or gun sometimes a beer bottle), becareful...you could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon (according to how the witnesses interpret your intent) and go to jail a few years for that...even if it was just to scare the guy or make him go away.

In a standard murder defense, the state has to prove the elements of the crime to the standards of "Beyond a reasonable doubt" and it is the defense's job to descredit the prosecution and the witnesses it presents. But in a true self defense case, the burden of proof shifts to the defendant to prove that your actions were that of a reasonable and prudent person and your proof must meet the standards of a "preponderance of evidence"...You need evidence you acted reasonable...simular to a civil case. In some states you could also be sued in civil court for damages costing you millions of dollars if you are convicted or not. Mississippi law says if you are cleared of all crimes in the incident then they cannot sue you in civil court.

Do not be a hero. Do not get involved with disputes that you do not know all the facts of or are not your fights. If you see a guy beating the snot out of a woman on the side of the road...do not get involved or pull your gun to break it up. (I know this is a hard one for us guys) You do not know all the facts..that could be a plain clothes officer arresting a conviced fellon/mulitple murderer. You do not know the facts of what is going on...Call 911 and be a good witness.

If you fire that weapon you are pretty much garanteed to go to jail, for a little while at least. It is gonna cost you lawyer fees...make sure it is worth it.

It will be hard for me to hand over my wallet, even if it has no cash in it, to anybody and not sure I could do it without causing much discomfort to the robber, but if he had a knife or a gun, I am sure I would feel my life was in danger and probably use my weapon to stop what is going on very quickly. I then would have a big lawyer bill to deal with and the stress of worrying if I was going to jail for a long time. You have to think real hard about what you will do before it happens.

We can all just hope and pray we never ever have to use deadly force, but like a spare tire or a fire extenguisher...it will be there if we need it as a last resort to save our lives.

Be careful how you respond.:thumbsup: :soapbox::rant:

Note: Massad Ayoob is a well know police officer, author of many books on self defense, expert witness for many self defense court cases and one of the best firearms instructors in the country. Google his name...read some of his books.

This is some sensible stuff. Masaad Ayoob has a book called In The Gravest Extreme that everybody that carries should read. The only problem with Masaad Ayoob is he has never met a police shooting that he didn't agree with.

Well said Beer.

Now that I know Mi is an open carry State, I carry one of my 1911s on my hip in a Galco single retention rig. If my shirt flys up, I don't care.

I never leave home without my pal and a spare mag. I would rather be armed and never need it, than to be sitting somewhere wishing I had grabbed my gun.

+1 on the Ruger LCP in the DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. I am a police officer and I dont even mow my lawn without it in my pocket. The cold reality is you never know when someone will choose to bring the fight to you. That being said, Black Betty posted some great information as well as sevral others. I use a Crossbreed IWB when I carry my Glock 26. The design prevents it from rubbing your skin, etc. Also, as a police officer, if you're stopped for a traffic violation, or otherwise come into contact with a law enforcement officer, PLEASE, while keeping your hands in plain sight, identify yourself as a "lawful, CCW permit holder, and I am carrying a BLANK on my right hip" or whatever. This can avoid alot of confusion if a shirt does ride up, etc. Should you need to use your weapon, or draw it and hold someone, when you or a spouse call the police make damn sure you tell them "I have a burglar at gunpoint. I am the homeowner and I am wearing blue jean shorts, a red Tshirt and flip flops" etc. If the officers order you to drop the weapon do so instantly and without verbal argument. Protect yourselves and your families. Property is easily replaced. Seek training constantly.

While working in my field today, one of my dogs was busy grabbing a snake and throwing it. I called her off and went to investigate. I immediately drew my ankle pistol and shot an Eastern Diamond Back Rattle snake. The dog appears fine, I guess she knows how to handle snakes.

:farmer:

The open carry laws here in Wisconsin would make it nearly impossible to defend yourself if your in your car on your bike. With all the stipulations on the open carry laws here, we might as well not even bother.

Just verified today :

One Broken down 16" AR-15/M4 or fully assembled M4 SBR with 10 magazines and/or AK-47 with folding stock will fit into one RSV saddle bags ! :sign woo hoo:

Come on Comicazi Cager......Make my Day ! :sign isnt that spec

BEER30

I especially like the rear facing claymore. Wouldn't want to be riding it down the road when it went off though.

That photo was taken at Rolling Thunder 2 years ago. Picture doesn't do the scoot justice.

BEER30

• 5 months later...

Full frame Taurus PT1911 in a Fobus paddle holster almost every day. Some days I am lazy and carry the wife's Taurus PT709 Slim in a Uncle Mike's IWB. A lot of concealment depends on your frame. I'm 5'9" and 205lbs, but it's all up in my shoulders, which makes shirts hang loose on me. I can pretty much conceal the 1911 with just a t shirt.

Edited by rentalguy1
shorted myself by 100lbs.

Crossbreed super tuck.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

My vest keeps the shirt from flapping.

Plus one on the Crossbreed. I swear by them.

I have 2 of them....one for my Glock 36 and one for my main carry 1911 45ACP

NRA membership gets a discount.

Increase the size of you pants by at least 1 inch...that helps also.

Remember...carrying is comforting...not comfortable.

It will be hard for me to hand over my wallet, even if it has no cash in it, to anybody and not sure I could do it without causing much discomfort to the robber, but if he had a knife or a gun, I am sure I would feel my life was in danger and probably use my weapon to stop what is going on very quickly.

IMHO, it's more likely that if he had a gun, and you reached for a weapon...you would be dead!

Better just to passively hand over your wallet and live.

IMHO, it's more likely that if he had a gun, and you reached for a weapon...you would be dead!

Better just to passively hand over your wallet and live.

Ya, umm, no. Statistics prove otherwise. This is also the best reason to carry close to where you keep your wallet, and to practice practice practice.

I carry both Open Carry and Concealed using either a Bersa .380 or XD 9mm Sub-compact .

BEER30

Hey Beer, old thread here, but if you're still following I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Bersa. I am looking into getting my first handgun and concealed carry license and am looking very seriously at the Bersa 380 CC or 9mm ultra compact. I've seen lots of reviews and they seem to be too good to be true. Good quality firearms at bargain basement prices. Your take?

Hey Beer, old thread here, but if you're still following I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Bersa. I am looking into getting my first handgun and concealed carry license and am looking very seriously at the Bersa 380 CC or 9mm ultra compact. I've seen lots of reviews and they seem to be too good to be true. Good quality firearms at bargain basement prices. Your take?

I love this piece. Took it straight out of the case and went plinking with it prior to handing it over to the Boss. Nice size and pretty accurate for me shooting even up to 50 meters with it at 6" iron targets.The Bersa Thunder looks good as well as I have several friends whom have them. I can carry it in my pocket pretty comfortably as well, so saying easy to conceal. Lot more safety features on it more so than XD or Glocks... But the best safety feature anyone can have is education and training , and more training and etc......... I say you will not regret getting the BERSA unless you have other taste or want a cannon. Just Do IT!

BEER30

Thanks. That's what I keep hearing so I guess it must be correct. Been looking around with my son who has a good friend who is really big into guns and has probably dozens. He has my son convinced that he won't be happy unless he gets an H&K or Kimber or other high dollar handgun. I just don't see the point - not for a first gun. I've tried to get him to look at the Bersas but he doesn't think they are good enough. Don't know what he wants - actually I don't think HE knows what he wants. If it's reliable and accurate, and has the features you need, why spend 3 times more money?

Go check out some of the gun ranges. Some of them will rent you a gun.Our local gun range has a flat rate day charge that one can take a pistol out on the range, fire it as many as you want, then come back and exchange it for another. This way one can feel it in action for what will determine if the gun fits his hands or if you like it. Better than buying something you think you like, only to find out you spent $$ unwisely.

I'm not a HK fan. The SIGS are good,and Kimbers I think are over rated. Get a gun that fits you well in hand and in mind. Guns are similar to bikes, if you don't enjoy riding them, you pawn them off until you get the right one. If you don't feel right, you get nervous. If your nervous, your mindset is not focused. If you do not resolve these issues, better not have a gun. One can say the same things about women !!!!!!

BEER30

Go check out some of the gun ranges. Some of them will rent you a gun.Our local gun range has a flat rate day charge that one can take a pistol out on the range, fire it as many as you want, then come back and exchange it for another. This way one can feel it in action for what will determine if the gun fits his hands or if you like it. Better than buying something you think you like, only to find out you spent $$ unwisely.

I'm not a HK fan. The SIGS are good,and Kimbers I think are over rated. Get a gun that fits you well in hand and in mind. Guns are similar to bikes, if you don't enjoy riding them, you pawn them off until you get the right one. If you don't feel right, you get nervous. If your nervous, your mindset is not focused. If you do not resolve these issues, better not have a gun. One can say the same things about women !!!!!!

BEER30

You mean there is a place where you can rent women for a while and then exchange them when you are done? :smile5: Hmmmm. Not sure if that would be wise expenditure of money either.

RR