IGNORED

Valve cover Gaskets. Which?

Yammer Dan

"Brown Sugar" has decided to start leaking pretty bad on valve covers. mostly rear one. I'm going to try snugging them down but that can cause them to get worse. I know they have a shoulder on these bolt so easy does it. Question is which 2nd gen gasket is the easy to install one? Any of them? Or certain year.

Hey Dan.

I bought a set of 2nd gen valve covers gaskets off eBay a while back for my '84. The listing showed all years for them.

All the new 2nd gen gaskets have that lip around the edges and that helps a bunch. I did cheat it and gave the covers a shot of sealent before laying the gaskets in and dropped them on a spare set of heads over night to let them cure. Once I figured out the correct way to hold my mouth and which words to use at the appropriate moment they went back in a lot easier than they came out.

The gaskets held tight during the install and sealed up nice. No problems with leaks now. You are planning on doing the bolt seals to right?

Neither cover was really harder than the other. Had to loosen the radiator up and pull it forward a bit to get the right angle to drop the front one on.

Had to trim the lip off a little on the left rear edge of the rear cover as it rubbed on the choke links a bit.

Works ok.

Mike

Hey Dan,

The part number for the second gen. valve cover gaskets is: 4NK-11193-00

I sell the set for $40.00 plus $7.00 to ship USPS Priority mail. I have them in stock and could send them first thing in the morning. If interested, let me know,:thumbsup2:

Earl