After reading the Clutch Upgrade in the tech section, I have a few questions.

Bike is 2007 RSV with 29,000 miles

1. If left stock, how many friction plates? I gather the upgrade is 6?

2. Is the "wire" something that has a part number and comes from the stealer?

3. Can a heaveier spring be put in with out the entire upgrade and would that even be worth it?

4. What is the cost of the keeping stock parts vs. the upgrade?

Thanks guys.

Well, I can answer a couple of those...

#2. Yes, the wire has a part number. I know this because I broke one end off mine and had to get a new one. That thing can be a bugger to get back in.

#3. As I understand it, yes you can put in a heavier spring and keep your stock plates. I think I remember reading that some have even put in 2 stock springs as opposed to a heavier (PCW?) spring. Mine has a Barnett pressure plate and springs, and is a great clutch.

Someone else will be able to answer the others....and maybe correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

1) I don't remember how many friction plates there are, but the upgrade has the same amount as stock.

2) If you use the PCW kit, the wire is something you take out when you remove the half disc and install the full disc. PCW's kit has full instructions. It's not difficult.

3) Yes, a heavier spring alone can be installed. Use a VMX spring. IMO it would be worth it.

4) I think PCW's kit cost maybe $75 or something like that.

I installed PCW's kit a year ago. If I had it to do again, I'd get a VMX spring and be done with it. I would leave the half disc in place and not get the full disc. Using the full disc cuts the friction zone in half. It's been a year and I'm still not used to it. I'd much rather have a wider friction zone. I'd put the half disc back in, but I seem to have misplaced the wire. So I tolerate it. I'll turn that wire up sooner or later.

Thanks Pegscraper.

I have been perfectly happy with my clutch. I felt it slip twice now when I really had it wound up. Sounds like I will probably do the stock plates with a heavy spring.

Joe, you remember the $$ or part # of the wire? Think I will be doing this job soon. Probably same time I replace tires.

Thanks Pegscraper.

I have been perfectly happy with my clutch. I felt it slip twice now when I really had it wound up. Sounds like I will probably do the stock plates with a heavy spring.

Joe, you remember the $$ or part # of the wire? Think I will be doing this job soon. Probably same time I replace tires.

Just in case you mess up the wire like I did, it is p/n 26H-16385-00-00 and costs $2.97 from Partshark.com (plus shipping of course). But like Lynn said, if you don't change the half disk you won't even have to remove the wire.......and then lose your religion trying to get it back in!!! :whistling:

Joe