I've never been real picky about the grade of gas I used in my bike, but since I got it out of the garage this spring, I've only been putting premium in it. I don't have the original factory manual that came with the bike, so I'm not sure, but I think 93 octane may be required.

When I was using cheaper grades of gas my bike seemed like it started "hard" and you had to let it warm up for about 20 minutes before you could ride it. But since I've been using the expensive stuff it starts nice and smooth and is ready to go at the start. Not to mention it seems like it runs better in the high rpms range and seems like it has more get up and go.

So is 93 octane required, or is it just good for my bike?

A little research on-line came up with an 89 octane factory rating. 93 octane does not ignite until a higher temperature for high-compression engines that will detonate (ping) on lower octane. The second generation Venture is just 10:1 compression ratio. If your bike never "pings" using the lower octane, it does not need the 93 octane.

Many folks find it easy to convince themselves that their bike runs better on the "good gas". You can save a few bucks and use 89 octane.

Regular fuel ignites easier than premium. So your bike should be easier to start with regular gas unless the timing is way advanced. If you are not getting knock the premium fuel is probably not helping your mileage either. If you are getting knock find what's broken and fix it.

Mike

I don't know how the 93 octane gasoline ever got named "premium". The only difference between the 87 octane and the 93 octane gas is the octane. 93 octane isn't more refined or derived from better crude than the lower octane stuff. Extra octane is added to it to slightly retard the fuel ignition, thats what octane does, the higher the octane rating the slower the fuel will ignite.

Our bikes do not need the 93 octane fuel, it does not improve performance or burn cleaner, it just burns slightly slower. You can use it if you like, that just means more of your hard earned money going to the greedy oil barons.

That's my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Let the flaming begin.

Dave

I know what the book says and I understand what octane is and does.

BUT, I keep a gas log on every vehicle that I have ever owned where I record the mileage, the date, gallons put in, cost, brand and type of fuel.

What my findings are after using 89 octane for one full year and then 93 octane for one full year, there is a measurable increase in gas mileage with the 93. The bike also runs noticeably smoother, especially at higher RPMs.

I have also noticed that there is a huge difference between the modern reformulated crap gas that we have to burn around here, compared to getting real gas with no ethanol added that I can get when out of town. When running real gas, that is really what my engine was designed for, I do not see the difference between 89 and 93. I have noticed the same thing with my other vehicals with real gas vs reformulated.

So depending on where you live and what designer gas you are forced to use will make a difference in how your bike runs on the gas you put in it.

Take it for what is is worth, these are just my personal observations based on years worth of written data. depending on where you live your results will/may vary.

I read this post a while back, and after doing some digging, I believe it.

This statement is almost correct, and VERY misleading.

The sticker on the RSV specifically states 91 RON octane (note the "RON" is missing in the quote). Unfortunately this is NOT the same as the octane number you see on the pump in the USA or Canada. The RSV is designed to run on regular unleaded fuel of 86 PON octane or higher, as stated in the owner's manual.

Explanation:

Octane is measured with two different methods (Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON)) and reported as either RON, MON, or an average of the two, called Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. In the USA, federal law requires all pumps to bear the average or PON octane number.

This engine is designed for regular gas. Buying anything higher than 86 PON octane is a complete waste of money, but won't hurt a thing.

Goose

All that said, I get better mileage when I am outside of town. My city (Houston) is considered EPA-Non-Compliant for clean air, so they force us to use additives that sap energy in our fuel. When I travel, I often find I get better mpg, sometimes remarkably so.

I always run the lowest octane because my bike was built for it, and I like to keep money in my wallet. But I do find my fuel economy varies, even so.

Dave

Having riden for many years across the country on many different brand bikes, I have found livining at 5000 feet and riding in higher elevations 86 to 88 octane provides excellent performance. Then at lower elevation around sea level the 86 to 88 octane (sometimes) I have noticed a drop in performance. So at lower elevations around sea level I use the higher octance 90 +, to achive the same performace. Gas milage stays around 40 mpg. Don't remember the theroy here, but know that at sea level there is a reason fuel needs higher octance to achive the same performance as lower octane fuel at higher elevations. If you notice the same vehicle in California requires high octance to keep from pinging, but if you live in a higher elevation with the same vehicle the a lower octance is recommended.

Help me here...... seems that a fuel pump that is designed to pump fuel, should last the same regardless of the octain level of that fuel. I do not know what chemicals are changed or added to increase the octain level in fuel, but it seems to me that the ethinol in our fuels would be more likely to kill a fuel pump then the octain... I really dn`t know, just throwing this out there...

for me I changed after my fuel pump went, from cheap gas, to mid-grade. and I hope that it doesn't happen again:doh:

I have found the grade of gas doesnt make that much differance in stock bikes.

Its the ethonal fuels that are hurting you.

ethonal does three things

1. seperates within two weeks!

2. attracts water

3. its a solvent cleaner so any buildup that is in the fuel system gets right into the carb!

so when i can find it i run non ethonal fuel!!!!!!!!!:fireman: